Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Misadventure on the Reservoir Dog!!!

Micheal_R

Staff member
As many of you know, I did some commercial diving for a living. I did this over a period of several years, and the jobs were all varied and fascinating. One of these jobs entailed diving for sea urchins. For those who have not read about this period of my life, I will relate some of the techniques used. As is to be expected, there is a season in which you may harvest urchins. Of course, it is in the winter and the spring, the worst of seasons possible in terms of weather. There was a rotating crew, but the core number in the crew was three. Sometimes we would have up to five people on board. This let us have three or four divers in the water and one tender running the boat. The tenders

the river runs around 6mph and that is tough. You can hold on but never in a million years swim against it. If we see something interesting on the bottom, a bottle etc, we have to grab something and hold on.

along the face of the reef off Cozumel there is a stiff current too, nothing like the river though and we make it work for us. Saves a lot of swimming.

Thanks for the sleepless night which ended in a story, a good one.

Happy endings are good.

in diving! I always admired the pros and particularily those who put in so many years like yourself and are still here to tell us wonderful stories:thumbup:
Thanks a great and descriptive story!

Currents are not a problem, if you do not fight them. Waves are not a problem, as long as you can see the boat when you are on a crest.. I have had worse dives. In retrospect, this one was challenging, but really not that dangerous. :)

fair winds

M

But this was like being in an eggbeater. Still, not a bad dive as things go. :)

sunny skies

M

n/t

I used to swim and water ski on the Mississippi river north of St Louis.In some places the current was very strong and the river was very wide.You could be washed miles downstream by the time you swam across it. Thanks for another good story

Glad you friend was safe, and isn't it great to have commraderie? Makes living easier! What does a sea urchin look like? Are they like sponges?? :)

bad idea to step on them or grab them without gloves. Little Porcupines of the sea, not sure what their turds look like though, you would have to ask Mike that:lol:
Green Sea Urchin
[attachment 50236 greenseaurchin.jpg]
Purple one...
[attachment 50237 purpleseaurchin.jpg]
Red one....
[attachment 50238 redseaurchin.jpg]

n/t

The reds are larger with very long spines. The greens are smaller with short spines.... but we got much more money for them. Seems their roe was better tasting.. But you would have to ask the japanese about that. Personally, i found all of them had disgusting roe. :)

fair winds

M

and mother would take us to swim occasionally, time permitting! But all my life, I have been warned about swimming in the Arkansas River, because the currents were so strong many people would drown! Remembering this, we always go to one of our many beautiful lakes around here. The river scares me! I can't imagine water skiing on the Arkansas, though many people do! :)

I would certainly not call them beautiful..... especially after you have a spine embedded in your foot or hand!! :) :)

fair winds

M

swaying on the floor of the ocean. That's probably where they should stay! Doesn't look like they are hurting anyone! :huh:

and used his noggin',glad things worked out all right,bet it's hard to stay focused with so many things to think about.forgive my lack of knowledge but what are sea urchins used for?food?some kind of by product they have?

You can have all that "current" diving you want. It is ALL yours, bud. I will stay in the calm, clear waters of Arkansas and therabouts.

Thanks for taking the time to write this adventure. It was something special to read!

aj