Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memories of Charl Street

We were eight kids, four boys and four girls, along with my parents living in a house smaller than many garages on the newer homes of today. I can still remember the studs that acted as walls, "separating the bedrooms", as we called them. In the late 50's, money and jobs were sparse and I can still remember at 5 yrs. old, my father "moonlighting" in the evenings, setting up bowling pins for a few extra dollars. An empty pop bottle was a sure trip to the candy store, when they weren't required for another loaf of bread and two bottles, well, who knows, maybe even a pack of hockey cards complete with gum. Rarely was this the case but it did happen on occasion. The other homes in our neighborhood ( an older and tucked away oval that was once a racetrack of some kind ) were consistent with our home. Not much to speak of in terms of beauty or size but filled with families such as ours. Dividing this oval was a dirt alley used primarily by the "sheenyman" whose pennies purchased the odd discarded tool or scrap of iron. His wagon was pulled by a horse. That poor animal always seemed to garner my sympathy. We kids in the neighborhood were a tight knit group { the little rascals comes to mind } and our summers were never short on fun and enjoyment. The old railway tracks that once seemed off in the distance measured no more than 40 yds. away. On the slope down from the tracks was our creek, measuring about 20 ft. wide and running along the length of the tracks. A good rain brought it's depth to a whopping 2 to 3 ft. and a "floatable" raft brought hours of enjoyment. Pollywogs( tadpoles ) and crayfish often found new homes in abandoned bar-b-que basins and the sheer delight of sailing the seven seas has not been lost on me. The winter transformed our creek into a skating rink where many Stanley Cups were won and lost. Old skates were the order of the day and discarded coloring books served as shinpads. Fifty yds. to your right, beyond the tracks stood the "hill" and just to the side of this was our "forest". Sledding and exploring were commonplace in this massive expansion of trees measuring roughly the size of a football field. Train riders or "hobos" shanties could be seen off in the distance beyond the old leather factory another 100 yds. further. In the open field between these "landmarks" were wild strawberries that we kids delighted on in early summer. I've often wondered at the simplicity and beauty of those wild patches. Still my favorite fruit to this day. Friday nights were treat fests consisting of a small bowl of chips and two cookies. EACH ! Sunday evenings meant Ed Sullivan and Disney movie of the week and my feet were safely perched under my blankets whenever the "scary chipmunks" made a T.V. appearance.:look:( I just knew they were under my bed waiting to grab my feet } El Cid was my favorite drive-in movie treat as a child and many a sword fight ensued. Christmas was magical ( even without money ) as was Easter and other holidays. We were too happy to know we were poor. Once or twice a year I venture back to the old oval where some of those homes still stand ( not ours though ) and reflect on those simpler times. I am certain now more than ever that my deceased mother and sister await for us all as they lovingly prepare our eternal residence ....... on Charl Street.

can relate to those days. I sat pins, in fact it was my first job. I got a dime a frame, buck a game and man that is work. We had manual racks and I was too puny to set doubles so after my pop and candy I would take home a couple bucks for a night of back breaking work.

Thanks for the post.

Great memories

i think we all had a kinder gentler life back then. We also pinched pennies and it was a way of life that shaped and guided us to what we are today.
Thank you for the trip:cheers:

Just seems to me that the best "toy" has always been our minds and imaginations. We hated having our fun interrupted by dumb things like supper. We had forts to build.:goodnight:

of where you lived and how you grew up! Like most of us on here, we all share common memories with you whether in Canada, Arkansas, Texas, or California.

It was what I refer to as "the good old days"! Great story, and I look forward to many more! :) Thanks for sharing with us!

i remember those wonderful world of disney movies,it was sunday night i think,your plight reminded me of some friends,the wolf brothers.they closed the ford assembley plant in east dallas in the late sixties,their dad worked there and after it closed he never worked again.

their house couldn't have been more than 600 to 650 square foot,some slept in the living room,and i always marveled that they only drank water with dinner,and not iced tea.they were never dirty and wore clothes as good as mine but there wasn't a one of them that was fat.our house wasn't big,but it was more roomy than theirs,and i knew others in the same boat,rooms serving as one room in the daytime and a bedroom at night,thanks for the memory.

However, welcome. And this is a great story.. Most enjoyable.

Many thanks

Calm seas, fair winds

M

Many were in the same boat during those times. Many of you undoubtedly know this as much or more than I. Still, it's funny how these memories remain cherised. No money could have replaced the warmth of family back then and looking at my girls growing up wanting for nothing, as most kids to-day do, well, I just hope they have memories somewhere just as precious !

Haven't met in person but have in spirit with all here. Will keep you and Alice in my thoughts and prayers.

Rob

I am amazed at how you folks were similar to us down here in Texas. While you all played hockey on the frozen creek, we played baseball in the corner of a pasture near the road. We also collected pop bottles from the side of the road and cashed them in for bubble gum packets, but with baseball cards instead of hockey cards inside of them. I guess you could say that we were poor too, but like you, we never knew it...we were too busy having fun and didn't have time to stop and think about it. We also caught tadpoles and crawfish...often ended up using the crawfish for fishing bait when we were through playing with them.

Rob, thanks for posting this story...I really enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Rocky Colavito was my favorite player before he got traded to Cleveland for Norm Cash ! Love your quote on the bottom of the message box but one question.......What if I don't have a dog ??:confused:

Say, I kinda am tempted to crate up a certain "nerd dog" and ship it to you! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 25985 nerddog.jpg]

n/t

A lot of us started out in pretty much the same way. Sure brings back some memories. Thanks for sharing your childhood with us!

Dave

done anything for months...now all he does is stare at me from the safety of his front yard. I leave the water hose coiled up by the driveway where he can see it from his yard...I still don't trust him. That is one smart dog and I suspect he is just waiting for me to let my guard down so that he can nail my truck tires again! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have posted it before but I grew up in a basement home with an outhouse. At first we had to pump our water outside and bring it in.

We entertained ourselves and I don't remember suffering for it. We would play tag and hide and seek. Numbly Peg and Kick the can. We too would go hunt frogs and salamanders, tadpoles and crawdads. We would bring them home and actually learn something about nature.

There were not soccer Moms and car pools, video games and personal PCs but we lived just fine.

Some of our friends in school actually went to a barber shop when their hair got too long. Mom cut my hair until I was about 13 and it was fine. We did not feel deprived, that I can remember because some of our school friends had inside toilets. Just the way it was.

I don't remember Hyper active kids, we caddied and set pins and delivered newspapers and hunt bottles and even tried to sell lemonade on the sidewalk. I do not remember selling much though. Probably should have had more than one glass I guess.

I never collected the sports cards though. I collected frogs and toads and snakes etc.

I do not remember feeling deprived because there was no organized baseball for us. We played Scrub.

Much about the old days I think built character. I think much of that has been lost