Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lots of v3 Questions

rdizzle

Hello all, im a long time detectorist but new to the whites V3. I own garrets and tesoros but wanted to step up to something deeper and more adjustable. So far the results have been frustrating so i thought i would come to the experts for help :)

1. After turning on and quite often after ground balance, the detector will beep and display random VDI numbers all across the board. This will occur with no motion and held at waist level so i cant believe its the ground. Any tips for this?

2. When by fluke i get it to not beep at random, it does seem very noisy when i search. This may be normal for whites but i'm used to having no beeping until a good target is found. The V3 is starting to fatigue me since almost every sweep i make makes a beeping sound, either broken, good one way and not the other or good before it goes null. Is this normal or if not how do i stop that. It seems like the mistake must lay with me since this is touted as a turn on and go detector, which i find hard to believe at this point since its frustrating me to no end :p

3. I did manage to find a fairly shallow wheat penny today but the only reason i dug it was that i promised myself to dig all targets for the first ten hours to see what the detector is telling me. It was a more consistent tone then most but still broken. After checking the hole there was nothing left so i dont know why it would not give a clean signal. After sweeping with my garret there is nothing to indicate that it was being masked by anything.

Any help you can provide would be great since i dont want to throw in the towel and return this. I was hoping it would reopen all my hunted out sites to more finds

it sounds like your gain and sensitivity are set very high.

consider setting the Rx Gain to 1 and the Disc Sens to like 70 and see what happens then

Other than that, perhaps you are using a strange preset pgm that has all metal activated which you arent aware of. Use the Coin and Jewelry pgm for starters

Also make sure the coil connector is snug and that the coil cable is wrapped securely around the rod

Maybe someone can remember some of the better posts or have them on file in regards to EMI or just having the factory setting too high for your area/ground. Have you tried turning down the sensitivities and RX gain? This question sounds a little silly, but did you read the owners manual? Did you understand it? For some, you just turn it on and go hunting, most of us has to fine tune the V3 to our hunting styles and ground conditions. That usually means turning it down a little until it is stable.

It all sounds like you're running way too "hot" - the V3's stock programs are a bit hot straight out of the box! Reduce Disc Sens and Rx until you get stable audio and no falsing. Don't be afraid to cut it way back if you need to - the V3 is way more sensitive than pretty-much anything else out there, especially with the stock coil, so reducing theses won't cost you a great deal of depth. You may have EMI issues too. If so, have a search on this forum and you will find a range of methods to deal with this. One will work for you for sure ............................ stick with it - the V3 is great but does need learning!!!!

I skimmed, did anybody mention bad coil?

I also think you have EMI issues. Try going to single frequency (22.5 has been best for me) and see if it goes away. Then you know it's EMI. Is this happening in a city?

The good signal one way but not the other could be a good target near trash that is being descriminated out. The processor is VERY fast and is capable of such a thing. It could also be the reslult of a bad coil which is why I mentioned it.

I see some good suggestions for EMI and and turning down the Rx. May have to try different channels for the EMI. Clear area? - and I agree it's set a little on the hot side for a factory default for many situations.
In addition to checking the coil, it's connection and the wire wound on the shaft so it's not flopping around. Have you tried a different coil & be sure no debris build-up between coil and it's cover
C & J program
Batteries good both detector & headphones.
Set filters for your swing speed. Maintain proper speed over and past target.

rdizzle......I had the same problem with the D2 coil that came with my V3. With the 6 X 10, 4 X 6 and the 5.3 coil, I have no problems......Coach

Well the only other coil i have with it is the 12 inch spider so looks like ill want to invest in the 6x10

When asking questions on the V3 it

You shouldn't have to spend another 200 for a 1800 dollar detector to cooperate with you. Check your setting and turn them down a little.

I strongly suggest that you used the Probe feature of the V3 in the Sensitivity menu to check the area for EMI. This will also help you properly set the Discrimination (sensitiveity) and Rx Gain levels for maximum effectiveness. Also use the ground probe feature to determine the areas mineralization.

Larry asked if YOU read the manual? Well???

Your 12" coil should also work on the V3. No need to buy another coil at this time.

Set up a test garden to learn what the V3 is doing.

Good Luck
Jerry

:devil: I really didn't expect an answer, but sometimes the manual has to be read MANY times to get the drift of how things works. Even then....................:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help, detector is running much more smoothly and has already pulled some wheaties out of an old schoolhouse that was pretty well hunted. :D

By the by, were not all D2 coils v rated? Mine doesnt have a V on it and overloads in tx boost. Just wondering if i should take it back for an exchange

All D2 coils should work on the V3. The V in the serial number should be on the left rod mounting ear. Does your V3 overload in the air test or on the ground? If it overloads on the ground then your ground is to blame. I can't use the boost either in my ground.

I think a call to White's Service is in order. (541) 367-6121