Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lookin for "Critterhunter"...

Don't worry, my hunting friend is a real nice guy and he'll bribe you with some free batteries and flashlights because he gets a bunch of those for free. Keeps me in good supply all the time. He'd also be a big help in showing you the ropes as well. This guy is a machine and has tons of hunt time under his belt. I've never seen somebody so avid about swinging a detector, besides me. i:twodetecting: By the time we get out there you'll have all the easy stuff gone by then, and with that much land you could hunt a life time and still not get it all. Often one guy's style of hunting even on the same machine will get targets that another guy would never have dug. Always amazes me to see that. You'll mainly find that the biggest rewards in this hobby come from the people you meet and the friendships you'll form. I've got a few good long time friends that I would have never met if it wasn't for this hobby, and they've altered my life in various ways for the better. These days it's more about the experience than the finds. We'll often let the other guy dig what we think is a good target just so we can watch the sense of discovery through somebody else's eyes.

Flying into an Alaska cabin on water...Now THAT'S something I've always wanted to do. Love the outdoors and the further away from other people the better. Watch out for Bigfoot. :biggrin: Yea, I'd take the machine. You never know what has been lost around that cabin or washed up on shore. Or, like you said, who has walked it's banks. Watch the layout of the land. If you see what looks like it could have been a logging trail, or a bottle neck between two ridges that is the only way to get somewhere, or other such things that would have focused activity. I'm largely a woods hunter and you develop an eye for things to look for. It's a whole other field of metal detecting that really combines two hobbies I enjoy, detecting and nature.

Since you already have a sleeper Whites that is very good in certain ways, I'd "go deep" for my second machine to use along side it and the GT is about as deep as it gets. It'll also unmask coins in iron or heavy minerals that most machines could only dream of. If you scroll down the forums on here you'll see metal detector classifieds. Go in there and post a Want To Buy (WTB) message for a GT and meter. That's where I bought mine and how I found one when I didn't see any posted for sale. If it's in good shape then somewhere in the $550 to $650 range with meter and stock 10" coil is a good deal. If you want other coils for it I'd highly recommend the S-5 Sunray for heavy trash and the SEF 15x12 for giving the machine even more depth, and that's saying a lot because it's a deep seeker with the 10" coil. You'll find Whites to be very friendly and will always want one around for those days, where as a Minelab is a little less friendly hardware wise (heavier) but it will also do things the Whites can't in certain respects. That QXT is I feel a real sleeper in terms of depth on silver/copper coins thanks to it's low frequency which hits harder. Also, it's special features like turning off noise reduction will get it a little deeper than most other machines on the market to this day. I felt it held it's own against the Explorers I've owned but for depth it's met it's match in my GT.

By the way, older versions of the Sovereign can be had for about $300 or so and are also very deep. Most think the GT gets a little deeper, but that's not to say the other older Sovereigns won't beat just about anything on the market in depth too.

No problem Mike. Just trying to extend the same help and consideration that has been offered to me on this forum by Critter and a host of other good people. Your situation is almost identical to mine 4-5 months ago when I decided to break in to detecting. NOONE else here is interested in MD'ing so I started out completely in the dark and had only reviews and forums to make my decisions on what to get initially. That's why I thought my opinions may be of some value to you. Anyway, you stated in your last post that you were planning a trip to Alaska and hoping to hunt for some gold so that settles it in my mind as far as the machine you should decide to pick up....go with the MXT ! By all reviews, it's a very capable gold prospecting machine. Be sure and bring a LOT of batteries ! Good luck.
HH
Scott

hey...just wanted to touch base with u again. been busy lately & not much time to hunt unfortunately. i did dig up a kids toy from idk when long time ago. it is like a farmer carrying wheat or something. cool as heck to me & was only like 4/5" down. i swear i have already been over the area i found it around a dozen times already...lol

its cool about ur friend & i look forward to seeing what u guys locate here. i am gonna try & have a friend come out and bushhog down a part of my property that i dont keep mowed b/f u guys come out here. it is just to much to keep it all mowed down. havent search most of my place @ all. it will just give us more area to hunt. u have intrigued me regarding ur woods hunting! that barrel & coins u found around it is really cool & such a great mystery as to what happened there way back when. i too am lifelong outdoorsman and that is one of the reasons this hobby appealed to me so much is i get to be outside and dig historical items. that is just a winning combination in my book.

as far as the QXT goes, man i am hearing signals in my sleep! that machine goes nuts in my yard and i admit i am having a tough time discerning between the good signals mixed with iron that i had told u about before. like me getting a sweet faint high tone between other junk tones. i just been digging them so i can learn and have had 0 luck so far pulling out anything good from those type of signals. i am gonna keep trying though! i just get SO many tones with the settings u gave me it is crazy! i am lookin forward to u guys coming out so that u can look with ur machines and straighten me out!

What you need to do is take your time and sweep at the target from every direction. Spend a good 5 to 8 minutes picking at it with the coil from various directions and making a mental note of how the audio and VDI are reacting. Remember, use a medium to fast sweep speed when inspecting a target. Fast for sure on deep stuff. Note how many bars show up on the sizing display it should be two most of the time for a coin sized target, but it might just be one on a deep coin that you are swinging fast over. What you want to do is soak in all the traits of a target in your head and remember them before digging. That will clue you off to what certain junk targets act like. Now dig anything that doesn't act like that junk target exactly. This is for when you are being picky about signals. When you are real picky just practice with a coin on the ground and keep sweeping away from it until you can hardly get the high tone and proper ID out of it. Note how it acts and sounds. Keep that picture in your head when hunting for others. Anything that differs greatly don't dig when you are sick of digging trash. This machine has some really good drawn out audio that will easily tip you off to iron or other trash. It should sound smooth and uniform from any direction if it's a coin.