Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lookin for "Critterhunter"...

chipmaker29

Hey,

i was told to come to this forum & seek out a gentleman that is supposed to be the master of the QXT. he goes by the name of "Critterhunter". i have questions about this machine if you would be kind enough to assist me.

thank you!
Mike

Yes Mike, he is the man to talk to when it comes to the QXT. Very knowledegable and generous with sharing it. Good luck.
HH
Scott

Here I am, and you'll get your check in the mail next week for calling me a "master" of anything other than what most would consider to be a negative. :lmfao: Any questions just ask, but ask here so anybody else with a QXT can benefit. In fact, I bet if you do a search in this forum for QXT you'll find everything you were wondering about. I've already posted a ton on this machine here. Great machine. One of the deepest on the market and with other unique features not found anywhere else. A real sleeper Whites, better than the XLT and a few other "flagship" Whites units IMHO.

ok...first let me give u a bit of background on my experience in this hobby, where i am hunting & what my primary targets are.

i am a newbie for sure & using a borrowed QXT to cut my teeth on b/f i purchase a machine for myself. i have first started hunting on my own property until i can acquire other places to go. my home was built in 1840 and the 2nd oldest in the county where i live in southeastern, in. there is so much history in the ground here it is unreal. my property is 7 acres in size with approximately 1 3/4 acres covered by 2 ponds. i have hunted ALOT staying within prolly 50 ft of my house and i have dug so many holes it is crazy. seems i cannot sweep more than 2 or 3 ft without hitting something in the ground. there is also MUCH trashy stuff in ground too. yesterday i found an arrowhead within 10ft of my front porch in a hole that i had a hit on prolly 8/9" down (hit was a remington shotgun shell base that i dated within 1911/1920 via the internet). neat experience for me to find that so close to house. anyway...i am primarily after coins (older if possible) jewelry & relics.

with all that being said, here are some questions about the QXT that i need info on. please bear in mind that i am def a rookie & do not have a firm grasp on all aspects yet.

*what mode do u recommend me be in to do the type of detecting i am after? (i have been hunting in coin/jewelry mode but man this machine "tweeks" out it seems in this mode. like pops cracks and seems it has a hard time "locking on" to anything. as example i sweep and get small alert and go over & over that spot again from different angles and seems like it has a hard time with stability with break ups in the signal and "static", then decent brief hit then nothing. back & forth but if i change to coin mode over same target i get no hit @ all. i dont understand what the machine is telling me. machine seems to run much quieter in coin mode but i am afraid i am missing things that might be there.)

1.) u recommend hunting with discrimination turned off? i dont mind digging "suspect" alerts b/c when i do find something cool & unique it makes up for all the nails/tabs/junk i have dug. i realize i gotta pay my dues.

2.) i dont understand setting alerts/tones, etc. can u clarify what this means please?

3.) also do i hunt with auto ground balance off? if so exactly how do i turn it completely off and is checking it every 15-20 mins appropriate?

4.) in coin mode during my tests, this machine wont alert to a 14k ring i place in hole say 3 to 4" down. why?

5.) clarifications on "zones" & exactly what all that means would be helpful. i know you can set to "accept/reject" certain zones but i havent messed with it b/c i do not understand it.

I really appreciate ur response to my posts & if u can tutor a newbie here i would be so very grateful. i have had MUCH fun hunting here but my frustration level is high b/c i am afraid that i am missing the best targets here b/c of my ignorance. i have found over 40 coins here including 2 silver quarters from the 40's and the oldest coin being a 1927 wheatback but i have found 0 silver dimes/indian heads and i am certain there are more older coins here! just way to old of a place and had so so many people in & out of here over the past 170 years & i dont think this place has ever been hunted with a metal detector. the good finds are here i am sure of it! by my research on what i have found i would say most of the things i have found(other than lots of clad) has been from the 1920's to the 1940's era. if u look @ some of my posts here u can see pics of just a portion of the items that i have pulled from the ground here.

once again, i really appreciate the opportunity to talk with u & i will await ur response. have a pleasant day!

Mike

here r a couple pics of finds from yesterday...all 10-15ft from my front porch

*old pocket watch
*1942 wheatback in same holes as watch
*unidentified iron object
*remington shotgun shell base
*arrowhead (in same hole as shotgun shell)
*old pocket knife (American Knife on sides)
*nameplate off of something (very fragile)

Hey Critter, you might want to charge a "fee" of being able to go hunt this site. It sounds and looks like a great location. JK Good luck chipmaker and keep posting pics of your finds
HH
Scott

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum and this addictive hobby. Nice finds!! The item with a hole in each end looks like part of a harmonica.

Probably the reason your QXT runs quieter in the Coin program vs Coin & Jewelry is that the DISCRIMINATION SETTINGS in the Coin program are blocking out more

chipmaker29 said:
ok...first let me give u a bit of background on my experience in this hobby, where i am hunting & what my primary targets are.

i am a newbie for sure & using a borrowed QXT to cut my teeth on b/f i purchase a machine for myself. i have first started hunting on my own property until i can acquire other places to go. my home was built in 1840 and the 2nd oldest in the county where i live in southeastern, in. there is so much history in the ground here it is unreal. my property is 7 acres in size with approximately 1 3/4 acres covered by 2 ponds. i have hunted ALOT staying within prolly 50 ft of my house and i have dug so many holes it is crazy. seems i cannot sweep more than 2 or 3 ft without hitting something in the ground. there is also MUCH trashy stuff in ground too. yesterday i found an arrowhead within 10ft of my front porch in a hole that i had a hit on prolly 8/9" down (hit was a remington shotgun shell base that i dated within 1911/1920 via the internet). neat experience for me to find that so close to house. anyway...i am primarily after coins (older if possible) jewelry & relics.

with all that being said, here are some questions about the QXT that i need info on. please bear in mind that i am def a rookie & do not have a firm grasp on all aspects yet.

*what mode do u recommend me be in to do the type of detecting i am after? (i have been hunting in coin/jewelry mode but man this machine "tweeks" out it seems in this mode. like pops cracks and seems it has a hard time "locking on" to anything. as example i sweep and get small alert and go over & over that spot again from different angles and seems like it has a hard time with stability with break ups in the signal and "static", then decent brief hit then nothing. back & forth but if i change to coin mode over same target i get no hit @ all. i dont understand what the machine is telling me. machine seems to run much quieter in coin mode but i am afraid i am missing things that might be there.)

1.) u recommend hunting with discrimination turned off? i dont mind digging "suspect" alerts b/c when i do find something cool & unique it makes up for all the nails/tabs/junk i have dug. i realize i gotta pay my dues.

2.) i dont understand setting alerts/tones, etc. can u clarify what this means please?

3.) also do i hunt with auto ground balance off? if so exactly how do i turn it completely off and is checking it every 15-20 mins appropriate?

4.) in coin mode during my tests, this machine wont alert to a 14k ring i place in hole say 3 to 4" down. why?

5.) clarifications on "zones" & exactly what all that means would be helpful. i know you can set to "accept/reject" certain zones but i havent messed with it b/c i do not understand it.

I really appreciate ur response to my posts & if u can tutor a newbie here i would be so very grateful. i have had MUCH fun hunting here but my frustration level is high b/c i am afraid that i am missing the best targets here b/c of my ignorance. i have found over 40 coins here including 2 silver quarters from the 40's and the oldest coin being a 1927 wheatback but i have found 0 silver dimes/indian heads and i am certain there are more older coins here! just way to old of a place and had so so many people in & out of here over the past 170 years & i dont think this place has ever been hunted with a metal detector. the good finds are here i am sure of it! by my research on what i have found i would say most of the things i have found(other than lots of clad) has been from the 1920's to the 1940's era. if u look @ some of my posts here u can see pics of just a portion of the items that i have pulled from the ground here.

once again, i really appreciate the opportunity to talk with u & i will await ur response. have a pleasant day!

Mike

First off, you've got an awesome virgin site there to hunt for many years to come. Second, I doubt it's been hunted based on the two silver quarters and you being a newbie. No place is ever hunted out but the norm would be that the silver dimes and in particular quarters would be harder to find for a newbie and wouldn't start showing up until you've got a good bit of experience on a machine and how to find harder targets that are deeper or masked in some way.

The difference between the coin and coin/ring programs is for the most part in what zones it edits out and what ones it accepts. However, I think (can't remember) that things like SAT speed might also be changed, or at least I think it is faster in the beach program. Either way, load the coin only program as this will set up most things like they should be. Make sure ground tracking is OFF (0 value for the tracking speed). Tracking can drift on you because of iron and minerals and such costing you depth, or it will track out a deep coin as you continue to sweep over it. Instead, just turn it off and then ground balance the machine in a clean spot. To do this just pull/release the trigger when you turn it on and then sweep around until you find a spot with no targets or iron present, meaning the audio isn't sounding off and no sizing bars or ID are on the screen. Now, in order to find a clean spot you should go into the discrimination menue and accept ALL zones, including the iron and ground zones. That way it won't be discriminating out stuff on you while you are looking for a clean spot. Also, that's the way I hunt all the time anyway. Don't edit (discriminate) any zones out. Now go into the tone ID menu and set low tones for the stuff you don't want to pay notice to (like iron and the ground signal, as well as everything else but the COIN and penny zones...turn on the high tones for those). That is, unless you are wanting to dig nickles or gold rings. Then you may want to turn on the high tone for those zones as well. For what it's worth, I find most gold rings will bounce evenly between foil and the nickle zone on the QXT. Hardly any will read up into the round tab zone above it or higher.

Now, when I say don't discriminate anything out I do not mean to turn OFF discrimination, meaning to hunt in All Metal. Rather, you are hunting in the discrimination mode but with nothing discriminated out. Don't bother with All Metal or the Mixed mode. Discrimination is just as deep or deeper on the QXT.

Once you've loaded the COIN program and then set up all the above stuff like said I'd then turn VCO ON and set pinpoint sensitivity at 16. I'd then set the regular sensitivity at 16 as well. That's a good starting point that you can use at most sites. If the machine seems smooth then you can often get it up to 18 on the QXT Pro. If in a known clean spot the ID is jumping around and the audio is falsing then it's too high. Back it down a few digits and see if it smooths out as you sweep.

Noise Reduction should be turned off and this will give you a little extra depth. It will make the machine a little bit nosier so if it seems to chatter on you due to small bits of metal/iron or high minerals then you can turn it on, but I'd rather just lower the sensitivity a little if I need to smooth things out. I've never really had to turn noise reduction ON, rarely if ever. It's still a very smooth and quiet machine compared to others.

Now, after you've done all the above now is the time to set the ground balance. You want to set it last and for sure after any time you change sensitivity. Really all the above stuff is a one time deal to set because the machine will save all that. When you turn it on again down the road you'll only need to instantly pull the trigger and release to stop ground balancing mode and then sweep around for a clean spot (remember, nothing you be edited out so you can hear things and like I said that's the way I hunt all the time anyway). Once you find a clean spot press ENTER and then slowly (but not too slow) raise and lower the loop. Don't push it into the ground but rather just down to the level you normally hunt at, or probably just kissing the top of the grass). Raise it up about a foot to two and lower it over and over while paying attention to the threshold. It should remain constant. Too slow or fast of a pump will fool you because the SAT (self adjusting threshold) will even it out for you and trick you. Probably a medium speed pumping method is what you'd use. If the threshold rises just a bit when approaching the ground that's OK and will give you the best depth (this is called a "HOT" ground setting), but an even threshold from top to bottom and vise versa is fine too and will make the machine run a little smoother.

Now sweep over that clean area for awhile and see if the audio gets jumpy on you or if the VDI or sizing bars are showing up at all due to being eractic. If they are then you either need to re-balance or lower the sensitivity. Like I said, most of the time 16 is fine and even 18 can be at many sites, but in real heavy minerals you might need to go down to say 10 or 12 or even lower, but that's rare in my area. I find 16 gives the best performance. 18 is a little deeper and stabile at most places but it can fool you on iron coin spikes and other trash more into thinking it's a good signal like it can by having the sensitivity too high on most other machines out there.

One other solution to noisy ground and heavy trash is to increase the SAT speed number and this will re-set the threshold faster as you hunt. That's why it's higher in beach mode. I rarely if ever have to do that and prefer what the coin program sets it at. Too high a SAT speed can cost you depth because it will reset and tune out real deep coins.

Now, you have to train yourself to ignore the low tones (iron, ground, etc) and listen for the high ones you've set to other zones. If, however, you are just being screamed at by tons of iron or hot rocks (ground signal) then you can edit those zones out. However, that can mask coins next to trash or cost you depth. Often a deep coin might only show up as a soft/deep iron or ground signal until you sweep fast and short over the deep target to try to pull a good ID out of it. That's what you need to master for the real deep ones deeper than most machines on the market can go. If you hear a low/soft/deep low tone or something else don't just pass it by. Sweep short and fast over it and see how the tone and ID improves or not.

The hardest part is finding a clean spot to ground balance. In a real trashy site you might take ten minutes wandering around until you find one where it can be done. Also, it needs to be in the same soil type you are hunting. If you go over the hill to a clean area to set it that soil might be different than near the house. ALWAYS ground balance properly in a clean spot every time you turn the machine on. I'd also re-check it every half hour or so, or sooner if the machine seems unstable or is falsing on you. That's either a bad ground balance or the sensitivity too high. Another trick is to hold the coil off the ground about two or three feet (but still pointing at the ground like normal) and listen to the audio and watch the screen. If the machine is acting up then you can bet the sensitivity is too high because you aren't even moving the coil and it's picking up RF noise.

I'll either post more now or later. I need a smoke and have been on this machine too long. Also want to hunt my friend's virgin yard. His house was built in the 1930's I think so it should have a bunch of silver. Wish I was hunting yours though! Also, in the 1800s most people would spend time in the front yard because they liked to see their neighbors passing by and such. Since probably the 1900's or so most would spend the time in the back to have privacy. At a house as old as yours both should be as good, but I'd expect more older coins in the front IMHO.

Sweep speed. This machine is very tolerant to both real slow and real fast sweep speeds. However, I find a medium to medium/fast sweep speed to be best for me. Go too slow and target signals can degrade. For sure you need to go REAL fast and short over a deep target to check it out as said, but in normal hunting just keep the coil even with the ground (just kissing the top of the grass) and a medium to medium fast sweep speed.

Also, since you are just learning to hunt let alone this machine you might indeed want to edit out all other zones and just open up the coin and penny zones. Set high tones for them, though, because you want to get in practice of hearing those and ignoring the lows for when you move on to not editing any zones out. Or, like I said, just edit out the zones that are driving you crazy for now like iron and perhaps tabs until you get your experience down.

Good targets (like a gold ring or a coin) tend to be uniform in shape and thus give a solid ID lock from any direction and a good smooth audio. Most trash isn't uniform and will either have a jumpy ID or change depending on which way you sweep over it, and also the audio will sound harsh, tinny, flaky, bouncy, warbly, or keep changing on you. Now, on the other hand, if the ID goes back and fourth from say foil to nickle/tab I found most gold rings will do this, so as long as the audio stays good I'd dig it if looking for those.

Once you get good you'll be able to tell all coins apart, even a clad dime or quarter versus silver ones and zinc pennies from copper. I posted some info on this a while back so dig it up so I don't have to re-hash what clues to look for in audio and VDI response on those. Indians were made from several materials over the years so I'll just say some will read like a wheat penny (most do) but others can read like a zinc penny or even the next zone down which is round tabs.

I just looked at your second message and those are some great finds. I've never dug a pocket watch like that, just the guts out of one that somebody probably stripped the gold or silver case off of and threw away. Yea, you are going to do very well there. I'd cherry pick the good "COIN" signals first to gain some experience and then move on to lessor signals down the road. You've got time to hunt it since it's your place so don't dig everything at first and burn yourself out. Also, I'd do some air testing of various coins and other targets to get some practice. Get a clad nickle, dime, copper penny (like one of those wheats), zinc penny, quarter, and also those silver quarters and any other silver coins you can lay your hands on and notice how the VDI and audio is somewhat different on each.

Any other questions just ask, but again search this forum as there is a bunch of good info on this machine.

By the way, I'll be heading to your place on my way back from VA so I expect a warm bed and a cold case of beer in the fridge so we can pound some beers while we hunt your land. :cheers:

all i can say is WOW dude! what a tremendous response to my questions. there is a wealth of knowledge/experience in what u wrote. i really appreciate u taking the time to pass all that info on to me & everyone else here! i have had limited time today to try the settings that u gave me today. i did manage to get them in the machine & made a few sweeps but time limited today. anxious to give it a better shot as soon as time allows.

one thing i do not totally understand...whenever u say "assign high tones" & assign low tones" exactly how do i do that? in the menu, u can either set alert on or off. if it is set to "on" for any particular zone does that mean that high tones are assigned to that zone? if alert is set to off does that mean that it is automatically a "low" tone by default? i couldnt figure out exactly what u meant so i turned all alerts on. dont think this is correct though.

this is what happend to me in the short time i had detector in yard today. i am CONSTANTLY getting tones....EVERYWHERE. all kinds of stuff goin on with machine although it seems way more stable with the settings u gave me & is like a totally different animal set up the way u said. anyway...made some sweeps when 1 caught my attention. i had a short high pitch but not loud beep in between 2 louder tones that were medium in pitch. i kept checking from different angles and signal was repeating but high tone very short and not very loud. i thought, omg...i gotta a coin between some trashy stuff so i started digging. machine said 6" so i cut plug about that, turned it over and took machine back over hole again & over plug. nothing on plug but same scenario over hole so i start digging again. man i dug my a@@ off and deep too like prolly 15" and nothin!! checked all dirt i removed and over hole again and little to no sound over hole. held pinpoint trigger & swept all dirt i had removed and finally found 2 nails in the dirt pile. swept everything again to be sure but nuthin! i dont know if i had done something incorrectly or my alerts r set wrong or what but i swear there was a high pitch, very short beep between the lower louder ones and i couldnt find nuthin but the nails. idk...u got an opinion on this scenario?

well i am sure i have bout wore ya out but once again i sincerely appreciate your help! oh and if ur serious about maybe wanting to come hunt with me something like that could prolly be arranged in the future. with my work i am gone often but i am sure we could schedule something. also, man i have a house maybe 1/4 mile down the road from me and it was built in 1870. 30 years after mine but dude this place is very old as well. and i am pretty sure virgin territory too. a single lady lives there alone & i have been mowing her yard and told her there would be no charge as long as i had exclusive rights to hunt her property. (havent got there yet) she has 2 acres there and was totally cool with that. that is the only other house on my road and the rest is very large farm fields on all sides.

where are u located?

I'm near Cleveland but am in VA visiting and doing a job interview. Maybe I'll take you up on that offer this summer if you aren't too far away, but you have fun and hunt. Best way to learn this hobby or a new machine is to hunt a virgin spot, so tear it up.

Yes, setting Alerts on for certain zones will cause them to have a high tone instead of a low. In the edit function if you Accept a target it will sound off and have a low tone unless you've got an alert high tone set for it in the other function. If, on the other hand, you edit out a zone (reject) you won't hear it at all, so regardless of if it's been set to Alert with the other function you won't hear it at all. So, as said, accept all zones but then set alerts with the other menu function to any zones you want a high for. Normaly when just coin hunting you'd set highs for coin and penny and if you want for the nickle zone. If tabs are everywhere turn nickle back to low tones. If a certain trash item like iron is killing you then edit it out so you don't hear a tone at all. I rarely do that though. You'll learn to ignore and not "hear" the low tones of things like iron while you tune into the highs. Very lethal machine in those respects to find coins in trash as well as hear the deep soft low tones that you'll fast/short sweep over and try to pull a better ID out of.

The mystery target you heard sounds like a coin spike caused by iron since you lost it and found two nails in the dirt. You'll get good at telling a phantom coin spike from the real thing. Normaly the spike will be at the end of a nail or piece of iron or steel trash. Try pinpointing it....Is the target off center from where the coin signal is? It's probably an iron coin spike but it could be a coin next to iron. Go to pinpoint and move from the iron over to where the coin signal was. Does the depth increase as you move away from the iron and then decrease as you move towards the coin? Then it's two targets.

Also, watch the sizing bars with a medium to fast sweep speed. Two bars up is a coin sized target.

Forgot to mention, don't forget one day to try those farm fields. Many guys specialize in just hunting farm fields, and each year after they are plowed you've got a whole new place to hunt again because coins are shifted and/or brought closer to the surface. Targets will tend to be few and far between but when you start say hearing iron or other junk then grid that area because coins are soon to follow. Even without other signals you'll be sure to find the lone coin signal where long ago a farmer walking behind a plow horse reached into his pocket for a hanky to wipe the sweat off his forhead and lost a coin. Also, look for a lone large oak tree in the field as they often left one for shade when out in the field to take breaks under, or look near the edge of the field for large oaks that were also used for this.

ok i got what ur saying about setting the tones now. i will redo the settings on the machine i am using. you have been extremely helpful & have gone above & well beyond what i could expect. i wish u luck with ur job interview in VA. hopefully it will work out if it is a good arrangement for you. also gotta be some good relic hunting around there for sure. i am serious on my offer to come & hunt when both of our schedules would allow it. i am familiar with where u r from as i have been there several times. u r about 4 1/2 hrs from me & I-70 will bring u within about 20 miles of my home.

i gotta alot of learning to do & ur advice has been great. i will talk to u again from time to time on here if that is alright. if ever need to contact me & cannot reach me here then my email is the same name as here @yahoo.

b/f i go i wanted to ask about 1 other thing. as i stated previously this QXT is a borrowed machine from a friend who has never really used it. i am goin to purchase a machine for myself this summer and had my eye on the Garrett GTP 1350. is this a machine that would serve my needs well? all i have been able to do is read about different machines as i know no one that is into this hobby. if other machines might be better suited for me i would take recommendations on others to look at if u have any. i need to stay around the $550-$650 range for now.

thanks again and have a good stay in VA and a safe trip home!

mike

I've owned just about everything out there including 3 or so Explorers. I kept selling those and going back to the QXT. I've owned a Sovereign GT for about 6 or so months now and I'm loving it. MUCH deeper than the Explorers I've owned for me and also a more stable target ID. These Sovereigns are known for getting a lot of gold rings as well as getting really deep coins and ones masked by iron and other trash. I would say get a GT. Used it's right in your price range of about $550 to $650 or so. Make sure you get a meter with it. I got one with the meter for somewhere in that price range. Read the SEF thread in the Sovereign forum and you'll find out why I highly recommend those coils for cutting through iron/minerals and also getting deeper than anything on the planet.

IMHO I don't care for Garretts. They seem lost in the 80's as far as technology goes to me. Didn't care for the performance of the GTI series either. About the only other machine I'd consider myself these days is an Etrac, but that's way out of my price range at the moment. However, many say the GT is just as deep or even deeper than both it and the Explorer for various reasons. All three are flagship machines as far as depth goes and cutting through iron or minerals. You can hunt a place and be confident you are getting deeper than just about any other machine with one of these.

If you didn't have that qxt I'd say get a MXT or M6 as they are great units as well. The qxt is a lower frequency machine and so I feel hits harder on silver or copper at depth than them. Stay away from the XLT.

If you are serious about me coming out for a hunt a friend and I might take the drive when time allows for you. He uses a 6000 Pro XL which is about equal in depth to your QXT. He also gets free hotel room stays so that's also why I'd like to bring him along if that would be OK. :biggrin: Email me with details whenever.

Hey chipmaker, I told you so. I've been following this thread to mine more info on the QXT for myself also. I'm always amazed at the generosity of people like critterhunter and the other experts on this forum with the hard fought expertise and wisdom they've acquired from many YEARS of experience. Use it for all it's worth as it will save you a lot of hard lessons and frustration. On the subject of which detector you might want to purchase for yourself, I'll give you my two-cents worth. If you don't fall in love with the borrowed QXT and decide to buy it but do find that you like the VDI and other Whites features,for the price range you're looking at I'd look into the MXT ( or M6 ). Different machine but very simple and capable. As a new detectorist, you'll be amazed at how quickly you gain complete confidence in the machine and your ability to effectively use it. The large coil selection is key ( you'll learn soon just how important that is ) and makes the MXT so versatile for a variety of ground and trash conditions and types of hunting while still performing at a very high level. The coils will also work on the DFX so if you eventually decide to move up to that machine you won't have to re-purchase your arsenal of coils. JMHO Good luck with huntimg your personal virgin sites ( you've already gotten the hardest piece of the formula in place...great locations ! ) and keep us posted with pics and stories of more great finds.
HH
Scott

hey back now...had some activities yesterday with my kids. ok on machine opinions. i totally trust what u say man. like i said all i have been able to do is read on the net about different machines and their capabilities and many people rage about the Garret machine for the price. depth is of great concern to me. i could have potentially lots of places to go around here although i am sure most have been hammered. that dosent bother me b/c nobody can get it all. i guess i will be saving a bit longer looks like. the GT is bit more costly especially with meter. i dont mind spending the money but i wanna be sure gettin what i pay for. i have been really impressed with this QXT on its depth capabilities. i have dug some really deep targets & at times i admit i thought machine had to be crazy but it is never wrong about something being there. there is also a wealth of knowledge on the GT machine in the sovereign forum. alot of which seems to be written by u....lol (imagine that) if u know of anywhere that there may be some GT machines for sale used i would appreciate some direction to those places. checked ebay & no GT's on there right now but i am sure there are other places to pick one up.

as far as u coming to this area...ya man i am serious about invitation & i will admit that i normally would not extend invitations to just anyone but i feel u have been very generous with me in sharing your knowledge. most here are pretty brief & some just plain smart a@@! so in return i would welcome u here. if u must bring along someone else then i guess i must accept that. i will let u know when it is good timing for me & to make sure ur schedule is open as well. honestly it will prolly be summer as i am gonna have to be gone alot here in the next month or so traveling for my work.

i am also to be goin to Alaska for 2 weeks in september. a friend owns a cabin there and is begging me to go with him. it is like WAY remote! no electric, water or nuthing @ all. heat with woodstove etc. have to take float plane in to cabin 150 miles out of Ketchakan. wanting to have good machine to take with me. idk if a guy can find anything there but the lake his cabin sits on is 3 miles long X 1/2 mile wide. i am sure over the years there has been people walk those shores and early explorers or whatever. idk what to expect truthfully. i know there is gold there too but i dont know a darn thing about finding such. hopefully i can find someone that knows more about what is to be found in alaska that i can learn from. also fishing is killer there in september for trout & salmon so that will be big fun. he says i can use cabin anytime i want but i wanted to go with him first cuz it isnt like a weekend getaway in Gatlinburg. it is hardcore and u gotta have it together & be prepared out there!

is the Sovereign machine good for finding gold nuggets and such? any idea what a guy might expect to find in such a place?

thanks again dude for all ur help. now i gotta get out & apply everthing u have taught me. good luck hunting & i will talk to u time to time on here & i look forward to meeting u/hunting with u in the future.

mike

srf2112 said:
Hey chipmaker, I told you so. I've been following this thread to mine more info on the QXT for myself also. I'm always amazed at the generosity of people like critterhunter and the other experts on this forum with the hard fought expertise and wisdom they've acquired from many YEARS of experience. Use it for all it's worth as it will save you a lot of hard lessons and frustration. On the subject of which detector you might want to purchase for yourself, I'll give you my two-cents worth. If you don't fall in love with the borrowed QXT and decide to buy it but do find that you like the VDI and other Whites features,for the price range you're looking at I'd look into the MXT ( or M6 ). Different machine but very simple and capable. As a new detectorist, you'll be amazed at how quickly you gain complete confidence in the machine and your ability to effectively use it. The large coil selection is key ( you'll learn soon just how important that is ) and makes the MXT so versatile for a variety of ground and trash conditions and types of hunting while still performing at a very high level. The coils will also work on the DFX so if you eventually decide to move up to that machine you won't have to re-purchase your arsenal of coils. JMHO Good luck with huntimg your personal virgin sites ( you've already gotten the hardest piece of the formula in place...great locations ! ) and keep us posted with pics and stories of more great finds.
HH
Scott

Scott,

Thanks so much for ur direction! i believe u r the original person that recommended me seek out Critterhunter & u were so right about his knowledge. thanks also for ur opinions on machines as well. for a newbie it is a bit overwhelming trying to learn so much new & also make right choice for a pretty pricey investment. (for this country boy anyway...lol) if i am gonna drop that kind of cash it has got to be on the best machine for the money. i will post pics of other finds too. i am gonna get out there and try every chance i can get! good luck to u as well and thanks again man!

mike