Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Like I said I was kayaking this weekend

Royal

and I thought I would post a few pictures of the river.

It is the south Branch of the Ausable and what is known as the Mason Tract, George Mason, an old time auto builder, donated the land to the state and insisted it go back to nature. What buildings that were on it was torn down and now it is sixteen miles of pristine river. No houses of any kind.

There is one place that a dumb beaver is building a dam and it will get him killed. They do it several times a year and the DNR or someone kills them as it is the only way to stop them. My kayak is setting on it in the one shot.

While going down the river it is common for Blue Heron and Kingfishers to follow you. I guess it would be more accurate to say lead you. They will sometimes set on a snag until you almost get to them and they will fly down the river and around the next bend. They will set there until you get there and off they go again, sometimes for 6 times or more.

I had a treat on my float beacuse a Bald Eagle did it. I had never seen it happen before and never expected it, thus no picture. I was just a paddling along and all of a sudden there was this huge bird right in front of me, about fifty ft away and all I could see was that broad white tail. I was supprised. I paddle down around a couple bends and there the sucker goes again. He had been right beside me but in a pine and I never saw it. A few minutes later the thing did it again, then I saw him up high and flying away. What a treat!!

I love my time on the river[attachment 7459 river1.jpg][attachment 7460 river2.jpg][attachment 7461 river3.jpg][attachment 7462 river4.jpg][attachment 7463 river5.jpg][attachment 7464 river6.jpg]

Will the beaver build a beaver house or live under the dam? It is sad knowing that the beaver will be shot for doing what it needs to do to survive. Thanks for posting the beautiful photos, very enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

We have our share of beavers up here too. We had some on our place that decided to dame the whole river. We solved the problem by tearing the dam out. They left and we have had no problems since

Clear water

M

can you kayak all 16 miles?there are a couple of bald eagles that were wintering at a lake about 6 miles away but i've never seen them.looks like a you had a nice day.

that river is real pretty and peaceful looking. As usual your pics are astounding! Brown trout are great in a nice hot cast iron frying pan too! :D
Wayner

every time we go down. There is no choice really. There is really no place to get out, without a bit of a portage. It takes around four hours but we have taken up to seven hours when the river is littered. We try to keep it clean

uaually along the bank. The problem is the beaver does not need to build a dam to survive in that river because it is always deep enough for them to protect their homes and get food.

They build dams because they are programed to build them. It is the sound of running water that seems to trigger it and usually if you tear the dam down, they just rebuild the next night. I had a flooded camp in a northern Canadian lake because of it. We would tear down the dam in th morning and it would be built back up at night.

Mike was lucky:thumbup::thumbup:

People have told me I took great pictures of Glacier and up at Mikes but I always tell them that if I dropped the camera and it went off on its own, it would be a great picture

the darned things just keep coming back here. I saw a dead one at the same spot last year and figure the DNR did the thing in.
The river needs to be kept open for the canoes and kayaks. Some people will tip over trying to negotiate the slightest snag

Sure looks inviting. I was on the train yesterday and got to see a female bald eagle having her breakfast in a slough next the tracks.

Dave

there were very few hawks and NO eagles. We never saw buzzards either. There are all over the place now days and it is still a treat to see the eagles. The others are common but the Eagles are still rare

I tossed some liver out back the other day and figured the Coons would get it, but they didn't. It lay there for a few days and I guess got funky. I could not smell it but I guess the Buzzards could. I looked out and saw this one in a tree right over the liver.

The trees are thick there but their sense of smell must be fantastic. It is a lousy picture but the best I could get with the old camera.[attachment 7471 buzzard.jpg]

n/t

n/t

are thicker than crows around here, must be the road kill! :lol:

To your credit, you did not :rofl::rofl:

Sunny skies, clear water

M

looks really clear, and cold! What are the temperatures when you are kyacking this time of the year? Did you fish? :)