Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Let me get this straight...Hunting by sound.

utahshovelhead

With the Vision is it possible to adjust the sound so that nickles are higher pitched closer to silver dimes sounds than pull tabs that are of similar size and shape to a nickle?... or say you wanted to open the discrimination up all the way but you wanted ALL coins to sound high pitched? If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about I don't because I don't have a V but am trying to get information anyway. Is that OK Larry or are you trigger happy and gonna give me the boot for asking since I aren't able to buy one in my area and test it myself?

Yes, you can give nickels from, say, 19-25 the same high tone as pennies & silver from 70-up, then make everything else a low tone. However, any pulltabs that happen to fall in the 19-25 range will also have a high tone.

- Carl

That is cool isn't it? Thanks Carl.
Do you think that type of "sound discrimination" would backfire because any object similar to the desired target with high tone specific sound would overwhelm its usefull purpose? Are you saying that if I did "high tone" nickles it would defeat its purpose cause all bad similar objects now sound like good silver coins. My XLT is usually dead on in regards to VDI on five cent coins I cant imagine that the Vision would suffer much difference in the id of the five cent. But ...I can see a real advantage to making the sound of the Five cent closer in sound say to the ten Cent...right? I guess what I'm trying to ask is ...Isn't that a big plus?

Even if you make a nickel sound like a dime, it will still VDI differently. The tone would just be a personal preference.

Hi utahshovelhead,

Fisher long ago with the CZ series put all coins, including nickels, at high tone. You can do exactly the same thing with the Vision.

Self defeating? I don't think so. If you want nickels, it's a great idea. But you will get some broken off and rolled up beavertail and maybe some eraser heads also, since they read like nickels. If you are after silver, maybe you would not want that.

The point being, it can be anything you want. You get to chose exactly how you want it to be, instead of having to go with what the factory decided for you. Freaking awesome as far as I am concerned.

Steve Herschbach

I have a beach here with as many different pulltabs as there are rocks...even with discrimination the ring hits are 99% pull tabs...I cant take out the nickles as that will eliminate rings...I cant take out all the pull tabs as that will elliminate rings...is it possible to make it high tone when the 22.5 bule line peaks in a certian maner? like anytime the graph appears in a way I described than i want a high tone when the blue line hits that higth and width that I personally tell the detector to high tone on that described graph? Will it do that?

Hi,

Each VDI can be assigned one of 256 tones. The only variation is you can pick any single frequency, and use non-normalized VDI numbers. 7.5 kHz is pretty much what you are used to. 2.5 kHz compresses the gold range, and expands the high coin range. 22.5 kHz compresses the high coin range, and expands the low VDI gold range.

So no, you cannot do what you are describing. But you can go the 22.5 kHz non-normalized to get more VDI separation between various gold and aluminum targets.

At the end of the day, for every gold item there is an aluminum item that reads the same. You want ALL gold, you must dig ALL aluminum. But if certain aluminum items are prevalent you can increase your odds somewhat by rejecting those select items. A judicious gamble that can pay off, but a gamble nonetheless.

I like aluminum. It protects the gold. If there were no aluminum, it would be too easy to get the gold and it would no doubt just get hunted up. Most people don't want to dig all that aluminum... and leave it for me. If I have been hunting 30 minutes and dug no aluminum, I know another gold hunter has beat me to it.

Steve Herschbach

No, sorry, it won't. You will need to dig 99 pulltabs for every ring. This is the bane of all detectors... you want rings? dig everything.

HI Steve H,
Thanks for your reply...Freaking awesome is a good description for that feature. Lets try not to tell anybody that hunts in my area ok? I was just reading about your Ash adventure...I thought our ski resorts were pretty extreme until I read about that. Stay warm but not that way...Good luck
utahhovelhead

Thanks Carl,
Ive had fair success and only had to dig half of the acre so far but I'm thinking about diging the other half...Good luck to you.

Hello Again,

Been playing with 22.5 kHz non-normalized and it really expands the gold range. Normally a zinc penny will read around 55. In non-normalized 22.5 kHz it reads around 83.

A nickel normally reads around 19. In non-normalized 22.5 kHz it reads around 58.

So it looks like the foil to nickel range in particular has been vastly expanded. Like almost tripled. The old aluminum versus gold problem is still there, but I have no doubt that I am going to be able to nail down a range that has a higher probability of being productive.

You got all week, dig it all. You got two hours, go for the VDI range most likely to produce. Just my opinion.

Steve Herschbach

steve
while in 22.5 kHz non-normalized

if i have this right...........................can u give the zinc a low tone ? and the pull tab

nick,dime and quarter................high tone

gold.............med tone

Hi Steve H,

Two follow ups; I am still not clear about this ...apparently you are not able to create your own graph then use it as the rule (paradigm) of the discrimination you want to use? right? so the graph is Always the signature of the target you are looking for and you cant design your own signature then look for it using the graph mainly. But you are able to adjust the sound to high pitch (tone) when the Blue graph peaks as the dominant graph line? Quirky question I know.

Also does the machine use both the CO and FE xy type information gathering like other (i wont name the detector cause I'm Leary of trigger finger Larry giving me both barrels) in other words do you know if the graph is using Co and Fe in its composite of the target it is graphing?

I'm not sure if that is relevant or not but I'm starting to feel warm and fuzzy.

Thanks for your great information.
utahshovelhead

Hi,

You can tie tones to VDI numbers only. The graphs and the VDI numbers vary depending on the various ways you set the machine up. How it all interplays I simply have not had enough to to explore in full. But you can't just simply say "if the blue line is higher than the green line, make this tone". You can only say "if I get a VDI of 25, make this tone". But you can vary what kind of target generates a VDI of 25 so it can get a bit complex.

The graphs are directly giving you a ferrous and conductive indication based on frequency response. Ferrous targets hit higher in 22.5 kHz. A coin and a bottlecap can give the same VDI, but the coin will hit harder at 2.5 kHz and the bottlecap at 22.5 kHz. What has me interested is the ground probe. It may have some interesting applications for ferrous versus non-ferrous but I don't have time to elaborate now. Got to get to work!

Steve Herschbach