Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kingsbury, Texas, almost a ghost town...............

It's sad to see so many small towns down here in south Texas going to the way side because the interstate was moved 3 miles away from them. Are a WalMart is put in a town 15miles away and starts shutting down all the small businesses and the small towns start dying, when the feed store goes out of business that's a true lost of the History of South Texas, Most feed stores you can find anything you need from hardware to tools, some even have clothes. I love to deal with a family owned business, on a first name basis, and it's getting less and less to do now. It's a true shame at what this country has lead to small Business, and small towns.

You did a great job with the pictures. I can almost here the quiet with the wind passing threw the tree's. I wonder what they do there to make a living just to stay there. I see Christmas on the beer haul or Railroad place so they must have a little social life going on. I see the microwave tower behind it. Almost creepy....The old with the new and it don't like any way for it to come back. What a shame.

those old towns have got to be great spots to detect in if they allow it. Especially that old church. Got to be some nice goodies in with all those meadow flowers. You sure have some interesting places there to explore. Much of it up this way, has been pushed aside for so called PROGRESS. Yet quite bit has been rescued from destruction by people who are proud of their history. Hard to strike a balance I guess. I like the best of both worlds. I'm proud of where I came from, but interested in where we are going.

Tell ya, your putting some serious miles on your bike. Then again, thats why you got it. I take it with not much traffic in some of those out of the way places you can clip right along with few worries. Thats the bad part of back east here. LOTS of traffic and you sure don't want to drop your guard. Takes a little of the fun out of it... I, like you, prefer back and less travel roads. I like looking at what I'm passing thru. Can't do that in traffic. I did get out myself twice now and while we are back in the low 50's right now, by Wed we will be back near 70 so thats summer weather for us.... I will post a shot of my Guardian bell. It looks good and I've had a few ask about it already. It starts with, Well there is a fellow biker down in Texas who sent it up, etc. I enjoy seeing it there.

Good stuff Fred. See,even just touring the country, you find storys, new stories mixed with the old. And each picture is worth a thousand words, but for me, raises a 1000 questions, and thats the beautiful of this forum...

Here is the picture I took of the bell when I put it on the bike. I will take a better one but just to show you where I mounted it I'll post this one.

Ride safe. George-CT

Mine is mounted on the bottom frame just in front of the left floor board. You sure have a beautiful bike!

I do very little city driving because I live only two miles from the first open road out of this city...three miles from the second exit from the city. As far as miles, I estimate that I will average 5,000 miles or so a year, but it really is not important to me that I watch the miles. I maintain this bike very well and when it eventually wears out, I will rebuild it or repair it which ever is the case. Heck, my pickup truck is now ten years old and still running strong...it will not be replaced until it is worn out.

You are correct, that old church needs to be hunted with a metal detector if it has not already been hunted. Even if it has been hunted, you never get it all. I plan on returning to that old town in the near future in hopes of talking with someone from the Post Office or I may just knock on a few doors. I will take a paper tablet with me for notes and will also take some more pictures.

If you look at that old church picture again, you will notice that there is no parking lot...it is just sitting out in that field. I am curious as to why fresh plywood sheets have been used to board the windows. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

The Interstate Highways and Wal-Mart are taking it's toll on the small towns all across our country. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It could be the colder weather has resulted in a lower population in Canada. A problem we face down here in South Texas is that much of the land in Texas is privately owned and it is sometimes difficult to get permission to gain access for hunting with a metal detector. Folks living in these small towns have a distrust of outsiders. Thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the ground. I was concerned that it would get scrapped off if it hit the ground. Where it is, its kind of tucked up in a slot so pretty protected. Thats not a good picture of but I will take a better one. I need to put my hard bags back on it. I was adjusting the drive belt on it from where I changed out the back tire. Now just need to clean that rim up and I'm all set. Easier to adjust it with the bags off. I like them on as my rear signals are on the rear of the hard bags.

Last year I did 3 k miles on mine. This year with my daughter home it will be up a lot higher. I want to make a run up to Daves in VT also. Heidi and I used to run VT, NH and Mass pretty often when I had my other bike and she was still here. Your bike will last along time as long as you do the oil changes on time. These V-Twins are decent engines. I know of a few at the club closing in on 100k and never been apart. Tires, good oil and batteries seem to be it..... Works for me.......

Yes, that old church really caught my eye. I hunt them around these parts when I can get permission. I give them all the clad... Maybe some church group wants to protect the inside of it from vandles and weather..... I thinking that nice field holds lots of treasure. I really like to find the old crosses and the like....I like to hunt the old church swimming areas also where they have summer camp. I've seen some of the Tesoro's that break down very small that would probably fit in your saddle bag.

Geo

The pictures are interesting and as I usually do I went to Google Earth and look the places up to get a feel for the area. I think this shows the place where the stores are closed up, by the tracks.

[attachment 87125 kingsbury.jpg]

Those super highways are great to travel on but they were the death to many little hamlets here in Michigan. Many roadside businesses just shut down because most of their business just flew past on the innerstate.

Thanks for the post Fred. I love to see the areas of the storys and the pictures make it real

same block, back street on that block, there is a large old two story house which also shows up in this map photo that you have posted. It had too many trees with low hanging tree branches that prevented me from getting a picture...it was also the home of those two dogs. I noticed that the home appeared in your photo map and it also shows the trees in front of it. This old house was big and was in very poor shape...I suspect that it might have been the home of a rich person living in Kingsbury. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I feel that I was right with you on this one. However I did not leave with you. I am still back at the gate trying to get permission to hunt that area!

Thanks for the beautiful photos! If they were in black and white, they'd compare to Ansel Adam's stuff!

aj

My simple photo program does not have black and white, but it has this brown color. Thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 87358 Kingsbury_7.jpg]

[attachment 87359 Kingsbury_8.jpg]

[attachment 87360 Kingsbury_9.jpg]

like they were taken way back one and I expect Wyatt and Doc Holiday to come out and blast my liver out... Hey, its 70 here today. It was 28 this AM but the sun is hight now and its doing its job.... I'm out in the paddock scraping it down as they just called and told me my daughters Clydesdale will be here in the AM. They are picking it up late today. They run all night so it will be here at sun up. She used her for vaulting classes she teaches. Might get a ride on the bike if I get done early.....

Geo-CT

I know that Photoshop can add contrast and really make the photos stand out.

There is a special place in my heart for great b/w and sepia prints. I never was too good at producing them though.

Thanks again, Fred.

AJ

n/t

We have the same thing happening here. As soon as a major supermarket chain opens its doors in any town, first the corner stores disappear in the town and then the village sizes towns around it start to close up. Our town of Maryborough (pop 22,000) was quite a thriving hub in the district when we moved here 18 years ago. It was known as the 'Timber city' then because its main commodity was timber from Fraser Island; there was also a large ship builder on the river which is barely functioning these days. The conservationists got the timber cutting stopped and since then the town only has sugar cane to keep it going. There's still high unemployment though, as sugar is a six month crop and the sugar companies have bought up the cane farms and now there are only managers, very few owners. We had three small supermarkets in town and you could fire a gun down the main street at 7pm and not hit anyone. Now we have a new shopping mall and two more large supermarkets and every shop is struggling to stay in business. The centre of this town has died since the mall opened and no matter how hard they (town council) try they can't seem to resuscitate it.

We have a town 50 miles west of here that was a large cattle town and your photo's could have been taken there Kelley, identical shops all closed up. The only towns surviving these days are the ones the tourists come to see and even those are struggling lately.
Sheila.

I guess that I am somewhat surprised that the same thing is happening in Australia...sometimes I am just too limited in my thinking. Folks in small towns are like a big family and they depend on each other in times of need...not so in the large cities where it seems that the bad guys idea of "need" is the need to rob you or worst.

Growing up in the country, we grew most of what we ate and sold or traded the surplus crops. I remember the canning of the vegetables, the popping of the lids on the mason jars when placed in the warm water and the paraffin wax poured in the top of the fruit preserves jelly jars. I also remember Mother and Dad signing the tab down at the both the local grocery store and hardware store during lean times...they always paid their tab at those stores in our small town. It was always an adventure going to town once a month...so much to do there. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)