Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kingsbury, Texas, almost a ghost town...............

Kelley (Texas)

Early afternoon, it was a windy, but beautiful day, I decided to ride out to a small town by the name of Kingsbury, Texas. This town will soon be a ghost town...the buildings are in poor condition and there is no industry.

Kingsbury was founded beside the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio railroad line in the early 1870's. The town derives it's name from Dr. William Greely Kingsbury, a dentist who owned a large ranch in Boerne, Texas...ranch was appropriately named "The Molar Ranch." Because Dr. Kingsbury was instrumental in bringing many new settlers to the area, the Governor of Texas in recognition of the hard work of Dr. Kingsbury named the town in his honor.

Cotton was the primary economic force until oil was discovered in the 1920's. The town reached it's peak in 1968 with a population of 450. The present population is estimated to be 200 folks. I am of the opinion that the Interstate Highway was the reason for the decline of this small town, too far from the Interstate Highway.

I drove around the small town, or rather I should say what was left of the small town and was amazed at the poor condition of most of the buildings and houses. There was really no one readily available to ask about some of the history of Kingsbury. I rode to the small Post Office, but it was closed. I saw no adults, only children in a few yards...did get chased by two large dogs! They were close enough that I could hear their teeth clicking for a few moments. This town is interesting and I am going to do some research to find out more about it.

This first photo was the original Post Office and was established in 1876. Please note that there is still a flag post out front.
[attachment 86946 Kingsbury_1.jpg]

This is a photo of the business district, looking west. Note that the stores are closed and this is a Saturday afternoon! I was standing next to the railroad tracks when I took this picture.
[attachment 86948 Kingsbury_2.jpg]

This is a photo of the west end of the business district. This appears to be a beer house, and the lighted sign said "open," but the doors were locked.
[attachment 86949 Kingsbury_3.jpg]

This is a photo of the business district looking east. This is the complete business district.
[attachment 86950 Kingsbury_4.jpg]

As I was riding around the small town of Kingsbury, I spotted this old church through some trees. I finally found a road to the church and discovered that it was out in a field. I am puzzled because if you look closely, there are fresh plywood over some of the windows on the old church. There are no signs or means of identifying this church. Like I said, this town needs to be researched.
[attachment 86951 Kingsbury_5.jpg]

This is another photo of the old church.
[attachment 86952 Kingsbury_6.jpg]

The road to the old church ended at a drive way to an old house with a locked gate. Someone is living in that house, but did not come out as I sat on my bike at the gate. Also, just prior to the old church is what appears to possibly be an old church camp ground...complete with a few buildings. It was also located in a field.

I enjoyed myself, but was somewhat tired after riding almost 200 miles with wind gust up to thirty miles per hour...that wind kinda beats you just a tab. I need to find a way to carry a metal detector on this bike...lots of good spots in that old town, especially the old church and camp ground. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

there are so many towns like this all over the place. It was also very windy here today, but at least the sun was shining!! I could hear you smiling as you posted! :)

hangin' tree there on the main drag:),just kiddin'.it looks like kingsbury grew fast and died slow,like most towns that depend on one economic source.none of the buildings are brick and most have false fronts,i'm guessing nobody really had alot of money.we have a little town of 450 or so down the road,alba is it's name.

it's dying too,they have their own sewage treatment but i think the infrastructure is crumbling,they have a lumber and hardware store,couple of restaurants and covenience stores and a few goverment housing units.the main tax provider is probably a company called texas wall systems,the make commercial aluminum windows,think they are making stuff for the new cowboy's stadium.i'd bet most who work there live elsewhere.

they had a contest for a new city motto and were trying to stir up interest in spurring growth.i started to submit a couple,one was "your money is welcome but you ain't",another was "dead as a door nail ,and proud of it".the problems with these small towns is the same same as with small churches in that they are usually run by a couple of families.

i like touring the old towns to fred,just to look at the old buildings,the shame of it is is that many of the older buildings are in pretty good shape they just need some TLC.i've run into some of the outsider stuff,i went to one store for a while before anyone would say anything,then i got sideways with some teenagers around here and living on the corner i have paid the price.

you can get lost in the city and it feeds off itself creating new jobs,small towns are usually struggling and always trying to find a gimmick to survive.fairs,flea markets,festivals etc.

looking forward to some more traveling stories fred,enjoy them:).

You are right in that there are so many small towns like this one scattered all over the country side...kinda sad. There are supposed to be two more small semi-ghost towns in that same area, Santa Clara and Zuehl. In the near future, I want to return to Kingsbury and talk to some of the folks still living there...I will pick a few houses with no dogs with clicking teeth! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have been doing some research on Google and some folks are claiming that the tree was indeed the local hanging tree.

Tell us some more about that old town called Alba that is up near where you live. Have you ever taken any pictures or done any research on Alba? These old towns are interesting to read about and visit. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

sunshine felt good on my face, and the wind was good! I gave good and bad days, this was a goood one! :)

and then soon the bad days will be no more! I am just glad to see you posting again...been kinda boring without your presence on this Forum. Do not forget to keep that smile on your face! Kelley (Texas) :) "The new, quiet cowboy!" :rofl:

those folks just did not care for strangers? Lots of folk are nervous about big ol' rednecks on motorcycles:biggrin:
Kinda eerie but i sure like the photos, makes me remember.

Folks in small, out of the way towns are leery of strangers and being on a motorcycle does not help. You must also remember that bikers do not have the best of reputations with the general public. Yes, I agree, it was sorta eerie in that old town...did you notice that there were no cars in front of those stores? The most excitement was the two dogs that chased me...well, it was not exciting at that precise moment. There were a few kids playing out in the yards at a few of the homes, but no adults were to be seen. I just need to go back to that small town when the Post Office is open. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Kinda reminded me of the look of the movie set in "High Plains Drifter" , one of the earlier Clint Eastwood westerns. The pics left me with that empty, lonely feeling.......which undoubtedly captured the essence of what you were truly looking at when taking them. Well done ! I'm a bit intrigued at how many of these "former towns" you come across in your travels. Don't see much of that in these parts. I'd love to take in a few of those road trips.......that'd be a great way to spend a day, especially on a bike. And you took the words out of my mouth Fred.......you need to rig something up to take a detector along. No question you'd tap into some untouched sites on these journey's. These posts are most enjoyable.......I get to see parts of North America and Texas that I'd otherwise never get to take in. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share them. Great job ! :thumbup:

The present population is estimated at being 200 folks which includes children which will explain why I saw no adults as per se. I saw a few adults, but they were driving a car or pickup truck, they were not in the yard or sitting on a front porch. Also, this town is not on a major highway, only a farm to market road.

On the western part of Kingsbury, I saw what appeared to be a burnt down old school. It was constructed of bricks and had the old steel casement type windows. It sat back off the road among some heavy brush and weeds, just north of the railroad tracks. Upon doing some research on the Internet late last night, I found out that Kingsbury has had no school system since the 1960's and the children are bused to Seguin, Texas which is a distance of approximately fifteen miles to the southwest.

I plan on doing more research on this small town and will return to it in the very near future. I want to be able to catch someone at the Post Office so that I can locate some folks that will be able to give me some "first hand" history information.

When riding this bike, I make it a point to ride off the beaten trail, down many old, narrow country roads. With experience, you learn to spot things that are not ordinary things, clues that there may have been a town or house at some hidden location. I learned how to do this at a very early age while looking for Indian arrowheads. I have found many old home sites while riding back in the brush on horse back while looking for stray mama cows with calves. A few years ago, I found a suspected old military camp on one of the ranches down here, went back with a metal detector and found a civil war belt plate, lots of large rim fire rifle shell cases, old fork and etc. I have always loved history.

Rob, thanks for reading my story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

folks are peeking out the windows at you, but you get use to it. I always make sure that I act "above board" which means no taking a leak behind a tree or old barn, or anything else of a crude nature. When you meet a stranger, the key is to get them to talking about themselves. I have always been of the opinion that everyone is a very important person and has a story to tell...you have to take the time to listen to what they are saying. Unfortunately, sometimes you will not like what they are saying, like when they tell you to leave or get off of their property.

Ron, I have always been fascinated by all the history about the sea up where you live...much different from the type of history down here in South Texas. Hopefully, one of these days I will learn to write and tell history stories as well as you...I am still learning. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Oh we may have the odd house or outbuilding.... but a whole town, still standing... no. And it is such a shame to see the town slowly dying by degrees.I would love to see things like that!!

calm seas

Mikie