Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kayaking the South Branch of the AuSable River in Winter--PARTS ONE AND TWO

Thanks for taking me along! By the looks of some of the pics, I don't know how you can get through! I'm sure by the descriptions, that you know this river very well and prepare for most everything. Very entertaining!

Dave

over sixty times but do not have it memorized by a long shot. I wish I did but it is such an easy scenic river most of the year it is no problem. I did remember most of the potentially bad spots though.

I can almost fell, a little, of what you went through. Man, I have never kayaked, but your descriptions almost make me wish that I had.

Take care

Sunny skies, fair winds

M

where there are only foundations left standing? Did you notice whether or not any beaver were living in the beaver dam?

I am glad that you made the trip without getting wet, but then again I realize your experiences in running the river paid off in keeping dry on this trip...not like that horrible trip that you took with your brother during the ice storm.

This was a very enjoyable story, thanks for sharing it with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I had a great time! I could feel the crisp winter air and smell the river as you passed each mile.

I'm so very glad you kept the kayak right-side-up! As we were talking the other day, with your butt below the water line, it stabilizes the craft moreso than a canoe. I never thought of it.

I'm still toying with gettin' me one of those thing since Linda hijacked me and Tom's johnboat and put in down at the beer camp.

Thanks for takin' us along. That's the stuff this forum is for!!! Kinda gives us all somethin' to shoot for. <>

aj

n/t

and then no coffee to boot!! :lol: Those bear tracks were probably yours after you turned into one! :) That sounds like quite an adventure and your story was informative as well as entertaining! The photos were wonderful too! Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

Durant decided he needed a place in the wildernes, is the way I heard it. It was a huge stone place, there are pictures of it at the site. He finished it and two years later it burned to the ground. He had no insurance.

The foundations are still there. Do a google on Durant's Castle and Mason Tract for more information.

Summer comes, common over. I have two canoes and we have three kayaks. Plenty of liverys around too.

only the females "Den" when giving birth to their cubs. They stay in the den from about late Nov to April with their cubs. At this time they are sluggish but not really hibernating.
The Males just slow down and enter a kind of "walking hibernation" where they are not actively feeding and often lay around loafing like some of us:thumbup:
As Polar bear "high season" Oct Nov approaches and if it is late, some bears may die if they cannot get out onto the ice to the seal hunting areas. Also at this time they are a very dangerous problem near settlements like Churchill Manitoba where they hang around town posing a great threat to humans.

TV show about them and this dang fool dug out the tunnel and slid down in with the mama to get some pictures. I think it was up near Chirchill or something like that, on Hudsons Bay.

The mama bear woke up and sorta looked at him but he then backed out. What makes a person do things like that?

I don't think you have seen me ornery. I can be but you never saw it.

The snow down the neck was not fun but just part of the adventure

I wil google around and see whats out there. Maybe find a pict or two if I can.

Yes, that sounds like a sweet time!