Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kayaking the South Branch of the AuSable River in Winter--PARTS ONE AND TWO

Royal

What a wonderful day on the river. Mary and I arrived in Roscommon on Tuesday morning. There was a little snow but we would have liked to have had more for my kayaking and her skiing. She loves the river but is a bit leery to try it in winter conditions and frankly, I am glad she is. I don

n/t

I thought the same about the Herons, but I have seen them at the cabin in the worst of weather also. Beautiful creatures.

How'd you keep your rump from freezing???

is a great adventure story in the making. Can't wait until you post more. I could picture your breath in the cold air, and invision the ducks flying off their perches as you came upon them. I still don't think it was a good idea to go along, but after all, I am just a "blonde" who probably would not have known how much five plus sixteen was unless you had told me. BITE ME! :) PS Still a great story though!

If that is all the bigger bears are in that area, I would not even worry about them. If they messed with you, just hit them with a stick...those small tracks equal small bear. Small bear would be on par with a big dog, nothing to really fear...hit one with a stick or kick it and it will haul butt away from you!

I would have loved to have actually seen that Eagle myself. Thanks for posting this story, looking forward to the next part of the story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I was on the river for about 4 hours I guess and didn't get cold at all

on the river. They were just setting in the water, along the edge and would flush when I got too close.

I think I saw some otter too but not sure

n/t

Are the beaver active in the winter? Please take a picture of a beaver dam if you encounter one. Kelley (Texas) :)

in fact that is when the pelts are at their best.

I did encounter the dam but that comes later in the story. There are a lot of beaver in the river

I love your photoessays Royal Make you feel like you are right there and cruising down the river with you.

Just one question... The AuSable??? Is it short for Gold Sable??

Calm seas

M

that sho nuff looks like a bar trak ta me! Litle feller though. :biggrin: Y'all got lots more intestinal fortitude than I do to head out on that river by yourself. I remember you havin to walk out to your truck or was it the four wheeler? Waitin fer the next installment.

Dave

Hi Royal,
I'm glad that you survived this trip! Sounds like it was a peaceful time on the river! Tom and I saw some kingfishers last summer when we kayaked down that river, at least thats what I thought they were.
Did you see any trout... or deer? Those eagles are awesome, they'll look you right in the eye!

very late to hibernate, if they are not in good condition due to illness or lack of food they will stay out particularily in warmer conditions. If they do not get enough food then they will die during the hibernation period.
That sure looked like a bear track to me.
Wayne

even against that light backdrop in the first picture i can see the eagles noggin feathers.just guessing,how deep do you think the river is at it's deepest spot on the run you make?

about six feet. Most of it is uncer four feet. In the summer there are places that I drag bottom with my kayak.

The problem is, when you turn over it is like six feet deep until you stand up and then your problems have just started.

The idea is to keep looking DOWN at the water and not UP at it :D

The way I always looked at it is that if we always stayed safe, we would never do anything.

is most likely true,the old boys that trapped for a living up your way probably had a few tales to tell in their day,and some of them worked alone in the winter.

Here we go again. Gotta get my head back into to. :D

As I pass under the Chase Bridge, which is the beginning of the Mason Tract, I feel a little tension coming back. I know that if I get in trouble down here it could mean a miserable time, at least until I could get to shore, build a fire and change cloths. The problem is if I went over I would have to have the sense to grab the kayak and drag it to shore with its contents. The contents were pretty important to me :D Then build a fire and change. Dang I had just better stay on top of the water!!

As you can see by the pictures the Mason Tract is pretty wild! On the upper part there are places that it is pretty hard to even get on shore! It is thick! Building a fire would be easy, as I had lighters and fire starter but it would be an adventure, for sure. One I was not wanting!

The river is a river of a thousand bends. Maybe not a thousand but sure a lot of them. It is rare when you can see more than a hundred feet down stream but that is what makes it so interesting and beautiful. There are cedar trees crowding the shores and many have fallen into the river, which makes it such great trout habitat. The Department of Natural Recourses maintain the river and even drop trees and position them with helicopters to slow the river and maintain cover for the trout. It makes for a great float.

[attachment 14419 chriver4.jpg]

[attachment 14420 chriver5.jpg]

[attachment 14421 chriver6.jpg]

These three pictures are from the same spot on the river. Right, downstream and left of the river. It shows how thick the woods are in the area

There is one cabin on the upper part of the river. Some author owned it and it is right on a bend with a small island in front of it. You can pass on either side, with the main current passing between the island and cabin. This is the natural way for a paddler to go. The problem is there is a tree down and laying