Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just put my new F-5 on classifieds

I have searched the carpet of nail spots also and you basically ground balance before you get to the area and that may be it for ground balance....

I usually start out a bit of a distance away from the actual site............Gb, and then move in for the kill. I also almost always hunt in 0 disc, with 2F tones,,and dig anything that even peeps over the iron grunt. I hardly ever look at the screen at all. If its sounds even remotely good.....it comes out of the ground. LOTS of good targets will sound kinda bad till you move em around a bit, or get then on top of the ground in these kind of sites. The F75 seems a little bit better at hunting like this than the F70, but the F70 still seems to do a fine job of it. (with the DD coil that is)

my first love has always been colonial cellar holes....and its been an ongoing quest to find a machine that excells in them. The good thing about that is....as technology improves...these sites keep producing.
The Shadow X5 did pretty good in them...........but it missed a lot of what the F75 WILL find. The DFX wasnt too bad either....but only with the Shooter DD coil. The classics have always been a staple of ours in sites like that. (I've always thought that they were a very underrated machine. its hard to beat a Classic III with the right coil.....and some guys mods!!! :lmfao:
Still.....the very best I've found so far is the F75.....with the F70 being a close second. Havent had the time to give the F5 a good shake at them.
All I want for christmas is a little DD "Shooter" coil for the F75/F70. I'd be a HAPPY camper!!!!

The Grd Balance, Freq, Tones and Notch values are all lost when you shut off the detector. And, they are restored to default values when you turn it back on. But I've not figured out a way to simply "click into" the default GB value while the detector remains turned on. HH Randy

Cellar holes tend to have some BIG chunks of iron.and they will mask anything close. I ALWAYS dig these out of the way.....and they usually reveal a few keepers under and close to them. I'm not opposed to diggin a nail or two either.....if I get any indication they are helping conceal a diggable target. Digging iron can be positive as well......as a lot of iron targets are real keepers!!
Relic hunting is about diggin relics......and not ALL relics are non ferrous....................... Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...I want a machine that will let me hear ALL the iron......NOT mask it and keep things quiet! I want the decision to dig to be MINE.............not the machines.
Case in point. I have a friend that has a Vaquero. We swapped machines for an hour or so one day.......so we could try each others out. I spent the bulk of my time tring to determine if his machine was even turned ON most of the time it was sooooo quiet. I hated it. ...... and my finds went WAY down. now dont get me wrong...I'm NOT slamming the Vaquero. Its a good machine. Just not MY machine.......for MY sites.

personally I don't. but I will have to admit the Cibola and Vaquero ARE the better perhaps even the best ones of that type. Solid signals on nickels in iron that other machines even the newer digitals are flaky on. Nickels co-located with iron are some of the toughest targets and they seem to make em easy.

Tom

When I'm in a realtively new spot....like a big old colonial field.....and have limited time..hearing the iron and such will help you "zero' in a good area MUCH faster. I find the "busiest" areas in terms of nails and iron debris.....are also usually the areas were MOST of the goodies are.....and where they hung out the most. If your hunting with a slient machine......it will take ya lots longer to find those areas. The way I hunt I can hear it the moment I start into a good area.....as the ground comes alive! While lots of my friends try to avoid iron infested sections of our hunt areas.......I LOOK for them.......then settle down and hunt like a turtle....................................... Streak!

by using old plat maps. Things haven't change that much to make them hard to locate. But you are correct, most of the goodies are found mixed in the iron. It's only after I clean those spots out to the best of my ability that I start to fan out. Some of the older Fishers are still worth consideration especially the 1236X2. Set to just breakup on small nails its noisier than the Classics or Tesoros but handles iron of all sizes very well. Also, I cleaned up a couple spots with the Edge by working them HARD in the last few years and the T2 had to work to work its butt off at low settings to find any more goodies. ;)

Tom