Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Its about that time of year for me....

Dan-MO

It all started about with a story my grandfather told me when I was a young boy.A story about a place near our home where train loads of garbage from St. Louis were once emptied and spread on to hundred acre fields to feed hogs.This happened for a period of several years between about 1895 and 1920.

I heard stories of how my great grandfather, who worked with several others on the operation, sometimes brought home sterling silver flatware,jewelery,coins,guns,and just about anything else you could imagine.Things that inadvertently,or intentionally found their way into the garbage from the finer turn of the century restaurants,bars and homes in St. Louis.There was something magical about the thought of precious metals and fine jewels mixed in with slop and garbage and being rooted into the ground-planted if you will-by hundreds of hungry hogs-treasure waiting to be taken.

Flash forward several years to about 10 years ago..I am now a grow man with a keen interest in metal detecting.I am experienced enough to know that research is the key to success-and that most treasure tales that sound to good to be true......probably are.I thought a few times of trying to locate-and seek permission to hunt-the old hog farm that my grandfather once told me about.I always found a reason not to.Wasn

a great place to detect, and more importantly a life long friendship. Good things come to those with compassion and a good heart.

I know from experience what hogs can do. Just having Wilbur showed me this. He rooted around his very generous space in our yard, and all kinds of things would pop up. Old signs, silverware, toys from long ago, etc.

Show us some of the things you found! It's not bragging, it's sharing.

By the way, I will attempt to post the things that Scott had of his grandfather's. I thought the knife might interest you. They were all made by hand, and a truly treasures to him.

Thanks for the story! :)

You can tell a lot about a man by the way he keeps his tools.It is obvious that Scotts grandfather was a skilled craftsman-a lost art these days.I love the hatchet and the knife.These days you buy them imported-use them a couple of times and throw them away.Thanks for letting me look at them.

I have much of my finds stored at a safety deposit box at the bank.Here are a few misc items

watch fobs the ones that have a thing at the top where the watch could clip on them? What is the last one VP 1911? It's really nice! :) Thanks for sharing these! :clap:

Are a couple of my favorites.The gypsy tour fob is dated 1918 on the back and is one of the earliest known examples of this fob which is still being issued today.It was featured in Mark Parkers colume in Western- Eastern Treasures magazine a couple of years ago.You can read the article by doing a Goggle search on 1918 gypsy tour.

The dragon pin is a sterling silver souveneer from the 1911 Veiled Prophet fair.This fair/parade is a big thing in St. Louis and is still held every year.I have never had the pin appraised but think it is neat.

Man, what a story. Buddy, you have fallen into a haven for goodies...all because you are such a neighborly person.

Whoever said, "Nice guys finish last," would be ever-so-wrong in this case.

Thanks for sharing your outstanding story, Dan. I have found only ONE Barber half in 30 years of digging and never have I found a Barber quarter. I can imagine your old granddaddy grinnin' at you every time you make a good find, knowing he was directly responsible for it!

Now, pardon me if you don't mind, sos I can go and wipe this druel off my face!

If you EVER dig that gold coin, I trust you will let your old green-with-envy buddies on the forum know. :jump: <><

AJ

Like to fing gold rings, gold coins [I am fortunate enough to have found 2....that stinker royal was trying to weasel one out from me :)]

But the items that I am most pleased with, are the simple , everyday things. I have a WWII engineers compass and the brass and rosewood handle from a beer tap from an old hotel that burned down in the 50s. Those are the real treasures. The ones with history. Actually even that is a bit incorrect. The real treasures are the people you meet...and this forum shows the best in people. :)

Sunny skies, clear water, calm seas

M

It is the amount of US coinage that I find up here. I have 4 halves [2 barber 2 seateds... and one of those is a CC], 2 gold coins, innumerable dimes and quarters. Heck, Royal found himself a little nickle last year [we call them fishscales].... and he was using his whites :lol::lol:

Now, get yourself up here and we can help you increase your total :)

Sunny skies

M

Many years ago I had a "wish" list of coins to dig.Coins like Barber,seated,W.L.,halves,Silver dollars,two,three,& twenty cent pieces, old quaters,large cents etc.At the top of the list was a gold coin.Over the years I have been blessed to dig all of the coins on the list and dozens of some of them EXCEPT for a gold coin.I have dug my share of gold rings....and even a couple of gold watches...but am still looking for the coin.Maybe someday......

Did you find them both together at the same time? In land or water? I am impressed!

A US $10.00 and a US $1.00. Both from Beacon Hill Park in Victoria.

I will get a picture and post it later

Sunny skies

M

One is a $10.00 US and the other is a $1.00 US. Both were found in a park in Victoria, about 150 yards apart and 2 or so years apart.

There are more for certain. there are some beaches that we pulled old US silver out of [in fact, on some days the proportion was more than Canadian}. On those beaches, I just KNOW that there are some gold coins :) Willows Beach, The Gorge, Cadboro Bay, Gonzales Bay, Foul Bay.... these are just a few of the areas that have barely been touched.

calm seas

M