Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the mxt that bad at coinshooting?

Dave,

I recently upgraded from my MXT to an explorer II. If you can't tell the difference on an EXII from a nickel to a dime something is wrong my brotha. Its a huge difference in audible sound. At least as much as the difference in the two as your "perfect DFX". No the MXT isn't as good as the DFX or have all the bells and whistles as the DFX but its allot cheaper too. Still a helluva detector!

This is a MXT forum so why are you bothering to come in here and bash the MXT and tell us how great and better the DFX is? We are trying to learn the MXT, NOT how good you and your DFX is. I find it sad that your a moderator and you more of a problem than help.

Wow, it's heated up in here! LOL

I have an MXT and a DFX. I love both. I use both. The MXT, IMHO, is a great choice for coinshooting, which I do. I find it to be quite the nickel finder. The tone ID is no problem for me, as I simply look down and look at the display, if I'm in heavy trash, I just look at the display more. LOL I don't miss it. When I use the DFX, I have Tone ID on. I've grown accustomed to each machine.

Funny, when I use the MXT I come back after my hunting and say, Wow, what a great machine! When I come back after using the DFX, I say the same thing.... it's great having two wonderful detectors.

Go for the MXT with confidence. It's a fine machine and will serve you well. It's been a lot of fun to use for me. I'll never get rid of mine.

Regards,

Kenfen

It's a noisy mother but I thought it did real well. I preferred the
6 X 10 White's DD coil and ran exclusivly in relic mode and this is what I found in Under 4 months

Maybe you didn't read my posts.I never said the MXT was bad.It's depth is fine and goes very deep for a detector in its price range.I just said that I didn't like it for coin hunting.And I never said the DFX was better.I just like the added features which suit my types of hunting.As for the explorer,I really couldn't tell the difference between a nail or a quarter.Everything jsut sounded like weewhooop to me.If that's what you prefer,then that's great for you.

Whoa guys, Sorry to start this devisive thread :yikes: I just ordered a mxt and I am sure I will like it, especially since the last machine I had was a 5900, and if I remember it didnt have any id.

I have been watching all these post about the DFX and the MXT and the MXT is by far the easiest to use and understand of the 2. The DFX if you have the time to tinker with all the setting it can do better, but I have seen the DFX walk right over coins the MXT has no problem seeing and IDing. The reason was the DFX was not set right.
The MXT is the best Whites detector I have used for coin hunting as it does go deep and it has a good ID. I have been using the Sovereign and the Explorer with the multi tones when i tried the MXT and found the MXT was so much fun to use and I could go so much faster with it. I gave the MXT to my wife to use and she too does very well with it and says it is the best detector too she has used in her 30 years of detecting. With the MXT she has beat my 1842 seated dime by getting a 1840 plus she got one of the only large cent found up here in North Dakota with her MXT. We use the 6X10 DD coil most of the time and have the little 4X6 mini shooter for the trashy area that works excellent.
Good luck and I feel you will be happy with this detector.

Rick

I also would use Tone ID quite often.

I also know when to NOT use Tone ID.

Coins on ground or in holes by nails and such might produce mixed audio tones. Yes, you can hear some differences, but they are not a solid and always accurate tone for the coin.

Yes, I, too, can usually hear the difference between a clad and silver dime or clad and silver quarter ... when conditions are favorable and there's no masking.

I know a lot of people who do NOT like the Tone ID because it spans such a wide range. We all have different hearing abilities and tolerance levels for things.

If you can't hear the difference between nickels and silver with an Explorer, then you didn't use the Explorer enough to learn it.

The DFX is quality built, but the performanced just isn't there for some of us in our ground environments. The MXT, however, is easier to use, and some of us prefer it a lot over the DFX or XLT for a number of reasons.

I've taken an XLT into a small spot I had hunted with an MXT, using the same size coil on each, and the XLT popped a nice silver Merc. and Rosie for me that gave a better audio response. If not, I would have dug them with the MXT.

However, I have used the MXT enough side-by-sde with both XLT's and DFX's and overall have found the MXT to provide the best depth-of-detection of the three. The DFX has a lot of adjustment features, BUT is is still based on the XLT's faster sweep platform and you can not tinker with the DFX's controls and make it work like the MXT.

Two different types of detectors. If the Matrix M6 isn't a vast improvement in field performance for coin hunting over the MXT, and if they don't plan on making an M7 to replace the MXT based upon the M6 but adding back the versatile features of the MXT, then I might just get another MXT by springtime and before an Arizona nugget hunting trip. I know I won't be getting another DFX.

The end.

Monte

Bajanick, I think you'll find it's a great machine. I'm sure you'll find tons of loot with it.

Regards,

Kenfen

I didn't use the explorer long enough to get use to it.After hearing its tone range,seeing its vdi range and feeling its floppiness and weight,I just decided it wasn't for me.As for the old XLT.I used the spectrum since it came out and than had 3 xlts after that.Found loads of nice stuff with the xlts and didn't want to part with it either.I got a DFX hoping it wasn't better than the xlt.Took it to sites that I pounded with the xlt.Sites that had produced in the past very well.Sites that after the last 3 or 4 times there with the xlt,i'd come away with nothing.What better place to test a machine on.First was an old park that even Charles with his exploder won't go back to.First target was a V nickel at 9" with a strong signal,then a Buff at 8-9",again a strong signal.A few barber dimes a half dozen IH's later,all over 7" down and my old xlt was a distant memory.This continued to go on at all my sites.ONe small lawn at an old abondoned farm house produced over 10 barbers,1 large cent and over a dozen IH's.All targets were over 8" deep.Deepest nickel I ever dug with an XLT was at about 6" maybe.So,I look at the DFX as a souped up XLT that goes 2-3" deeper on silver and about twice as deep on nickels and targets in that range.Won't even get into how much deeper it goes on the saltwater beaches.Have a good one.Dave

Thanks for the support, I will let you all know how I do, Hopefully this weekend. :)