Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is anybody making a gift for someone this Christmas season?

Cierlast

Or is that something that is not done any more? My wife and I are having a 'discussion' about it. I say it shows the person you cared enough to go the extra mile for them, she thinks it is being cheap. But I say you make it what you put into it.
Any of you folks making gifts this year?

My oldest daughter loves little wooden boxes. The little ornate ones. So every year I build her one. Each time a little different. I'm not sure who it means more to, her or me. I think it is a way of keeping in touch with the real spirit of giving. Love goes into every minute I spend building it. I couldn't agree with you more! I look at it this way. When it's my time to leave, the sweater I BOUGHT her will be long forgotten.....but the little wooden box sitting on her shelf will always remind her of the love of father for his daugter. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I have been machining a few parts that I will give to some friends. Got a friend up valley who needs some parts fabricated. He does not know it yet [he hired me to make them] but these parts are going to be free!! :)

sunny skies

M

and you said it perfectly.
"When it's my time to leave, the sweater I BOUGHT her will be long forgotten.....but the little wooden box sitting on her shelf will always remind her of the love of father for his daugter."

I think anybody can rack up a bill on a charge card, but who does that edify? Not that there is anything wrong with buying a gift, sometimes it's quite alright and perfect.

I don't expect my wife to agree, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable. I hate having to appologize. :lol:

Say, those wooden boxes sound grand! Can you post a picture of one, or would that be ruining a gift for your daughter? (Though I suppose by her reading this her suprise is blown anyhow, opps!) They sound really neat and I have been messing with woodworking on small items like that.

n/t

some pictures Willy. I, myself have made over 55 that I have given away or sold through the years. I number each one and write my name on them. I have 4 or 5 that I am presently working on.

One has a landscape on the box top depicting a sunset,(sunrise), or whatever you want it to be. It has purple mountains with either a lake or desert made out of ash with the sun and it's rays made out of aromatic cedar. It was a top that I made years ago and I just found it in the last couple of months. I'm waiting for a little warmer weather so I can spray laquer on it.Once it is completed, I'd like to post a picture of it and have a contest of some kind to give it away here on the forum. I would like to know if people might be interested or not.

All woods are natural color and most are made with exotic hardwoods. What do yall think?

You didnt think that you would have fired me up like that, did you?:lol:

You ARE right though. Your daughter will cherish the ones you make for her til the end of time. Thanks for the story.

Lil Brother:)

and once is a while we have given a "second hand" gift. Years ago, I gave my brother a used double barrel shotgun that was a classic, one that was no longer available new. One year, I made some bird feeders for my Mother. Many years ago, I made some slingshots for some nephews, but by Christmas evening, they were put up out of reach after one of the boys shot one of Grandmother's hens. I see nothing wrong with making a gift, and trust me, it will be appreciated. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It is much more personal to give a gift to people that you have made personally. Yes, I appreciate storebought gifts (like a GPS :D) but there can be no comparision with a personally crafted gift.

This year we are going to keep it simple. We will focus on the Reason for the Season, the birth of my Lord Jesus,who change my life and so many of my friends and family. To keep from trivializing it and making it a commercial venture...to keep from competing with others for who "bought the best gift" to the Christmas party..to keep thing in the proper prospective, we are givng of ourselves, again this year.

As I write this, Virginia and I are making three or four batches of apple jelly. Then we will make some muscadine jelly. Then, if we have any energy left, a few days later, we will make some grape jelly...all in matching jars. Once we have the jellies ready, we will employ beautiful Ashlea's talents and get her to creatively package them into a three-jelly set. I expect we will provide with each a hand-made Christmas card, complete withOUT the bar code ont he back, with matching envelope.

Giving a part of yourself...your labor, your time and your love, outshines any commercial gift available--including a GPS!

Have a great day and a very Merry Christmas. <><

aj

I'll have to post the one I did last year if I can mooch it off her. The one I'm making this year doesn't get started 'till next week. I know, I know...I shoulda started it a week or two ago. My bad! I think everyone should try to make just one gift ....for someone. I think it would start a wave of interest and we'd all be hooked. It makes you feel so much better when the one receiving it smiles from ear to ear and gives you a big hug. Cheers.

n/t

by next Tuesday if possible. :rofl:

Our girls really enjoy making things for us and having things made for them. Of course we still go the commercial route as I see nothing wrong with that. We just temper it with a bit of home-grown and home-made love. The boys......couldn't be bothered. Show them the goodies! Although, I will say, they ask for stuff like toasters and irons and blankets for when they move out and set up their own place. At least their thinking. Cheers.

n/t