Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was threatened by a swimmer at the beach today!:ranting: Gold though!

wesbeach

I started a week at the Virginia Beach oceanfront metal detecting for every low tide and met up with a very unpleasant swimmer. I was starting into the mine and a man approached me and told me in a very threatening and nasty way that "My children are here in the water and if they hit you and are hurt, I will kill you!". They are the first words that came out of this man's mouth to me and I had never seen or talked to him before. I didn't say anything to aggravate the situation. He continued to give me very nasty looks as I left the water. I didn't want to cause a scene, so I just left the mine and detected some more on the lane until I came upon a lifeguard station. I told the lifeguard and pointed out the man in the water. I just reported the man to the lifeguard, but did not ask him to do anything. I just wanted to alert him about the person. The man saw me talking to the lifeguard and talked to the lifeguard after I left. I didn't go back to see what he had said... To say the least, that didn't help my spirits for the rest of the hunt. I did manage to find a thin 10k gold bracelet and a 14k earring. I saw a nice diamond ring found by someone else who had just left the mine before I tried to enter.

I can't imagine the nerve of some people at the beach with kids out of control. I would never take my 80 year old mother to the beach for fear she would be mowed down by one of the out of control kids. The man was actually threatening me that if one of his out of control kids hit me and was injured, he would kill me!:rant: I didn't make a scene there because I didn't want to cause problems for other people detecting (I also did not want to become any part of violence at the beach).

I am posting from a computer in the hotel so I cannot post any photos.

Wesbeach

n/t

He assaulted you. There was no battery but it was still assault.

Cops are happy to roust fools like that.

There is always one<< Total A** , you probably did right to move on,,
there is lots of beach, but a long handle beach digger is convincing too> plr

I pity fools like that. You did the right thing by not giving into the temptation to knock his lights out for being so insulting.
There but for the grace of god go us.

Good Hunting,

BDA:cool:

I actually did consider charging him with assault, but did not want to get involved in the whole hassle of the effort. I didn't have a cell phone, so I would have needed to either get the lifeguard to call the police, or try to hunt them down. I would have missed prime low tide detecting time too...I think that he got a bit of a fright seeing me talking to the lifeguard though. I hope he did at least get some fear from seeing me report the incident. I wonder if he realized that he had assaulted me?

Wesbeach ( about to go to bed to catch the next low tide)

Because of people like him, we cannot detect before 5pm during the summer months on any state beach up here in Connecticut. Life guards and DEP do not like dealing with people who threaten for no reason. I had a couple of little brats throw sand in my face when I was in chest deep water once......I threatened to break their butts and they went screaming to mama. I left the sand on my face and hair to show mama as she came charging into the water.......looked her staight in the eye and said I would file assault charges against her brats.....she left without saying a word.

Someone who's as twisted as that guy probably doesn't understand he did anything wrong. He's likely delusional enough to think he's in the right.

Given time, he's certain to mouth off to someone who's crazier and tougher than he is and he'll get a well deserved beating or he'll actually do something stupid enough to get himself arrested and locked in a cage, which is where he belongs.

Could be for the best that you didn't report him to the cops. Maybe it turned out the right way. It's always possible that a guy like that is a psycho enforcer for the mob or some biker gang who wouldn't think twice about tracking you down if you turned him in.

And best of all, he has to live with himself! He can't just walk away. Every morning he wakes up and he's right there. That has to be miserable.

If you look at it the right way it's almost funny. Almost.

thats a felony , i know a guy who threatened his girlfrend on the phone she recorded it and he got 6 months in jails he probley is on some meds my brother started throwing punches at me for no reason hes on meds i had to move out ya just move away , if he lost his gold you would be his best frend sorry that you had to experience that remember this is not heavan thear are theves hear and elements that destroy and wild creatures of which you met one

The really sad thing is when push comes to shove, if enough people like that idiot rant to the right folks (police, city council, etc...) they'll put restrictions on YOU/US THE DETECTORISTS and not jerks like him.

Unfortunately the squeaky wheels get the grease and most city officials would rather just appease the loudmouths and complainers so they don't have to deal with them anymore than do what's right and makes sense.

It's too easy to just say "no metal detectors allowed."

glad you at least got a little gold. I do mostly night hunting, and we have lots of nightclubs on the beach so you can imagine some of the things I have encounter. yes, the scoop is always handy for other uses. I never want to have to use it this way. I haven