Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I did my homework

SHardy

After reading, Taking a Closer Look at Metal Detector Discrimination by Robert C. Brockett, I decided to do a little homework of my own.
I went out to the local park and dug every good signal and took notes. Something that

I dug a real nice 14K high school ring that was reading 26-28. And at another school I dug a 14K gold ring with 3 rubies and 3 diamonds that read from 02 thru 12 and "Never" hit a steady number. So with my MXT I dig "ALL" good signals no matter what.

HH WyDiablo

Go air test a few different gold rings. You might see they ring alot like different pop tabs.

If you ignore those VDI's you can just about forget about finding gold rings and jewelry..And nickels..

the part when you went to the park and "dug every good signal". You lost me on the rest of it. The other fellers are right on. You don't dig the tabs, you aren't going to get gold or nickels, and possibly deep/coins on edge. If digging a tab bothers you that much, ok. But I'd rather keep the park clean, dig a tab and have a 1 in 1000 chance at gold, and as a bonus keep the nickels and on-edge coins. Did I mention target masking too? Another reason to get those tabs outta the ground.

No prank. I think if you read the book you'll understand what's being presented in the photo.
Let me ask you this, why spend the money on any detector with digital read out if your not going to use that information to your advantage? You can just as easily break out a cheap detector and dig everything. Also why would you want to dig everything at a local park? The parks I

schools, parks, and sports fields... mixed in with the trash. The last two gold rings I remember digging were foil at less than 2" and an iffy nickel at 3". You would have left at least one of those in the ground for me.

As to why I buy a top of the line detector, it is not for discrimination, but for better depth and more target information. The more info I have before I dig, the better, and I do use that info to my advantage. So, yeah, I could get a White's Classic II like I started with years ago, and I'd probably still do pretty well, but I can do better with the greater depth and more information the newer machine gives me.

I (and many others) prefer to make the decision in my head, rather than have the machine make the decision for me. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think my brain and ears are a better discriminator than a hunk of electronics.

Let's rephrase, I don't really want to dig EVERYTHING at the local park. I want to dig everything I think is a good target at the local park, using all the information I can possibly have before I reach for the probe or digger. Blocking target ID numbers gives me LESS information about my digs, not more.

Ok, I'll counter-ask... Why do you pay high dollars for a top of the line detector if you could get the same results with a cheap two knob machine with the disc turned all the way up?

Beaches are easy for jewelry, and easy diggings too. I don't know of anyone who uses discrimination at the beach. Get a good scoop and it's no trouble to dig it all.

It's all ok, you can hunt however you want. If you're going to leave the gold and rings, deep coins, coins on edge and masked targets for the rest of us, that's fine. I'll be glad to walk behind you and dig what you pass up. In fact, I think it might be fun. And I'd even use a White's Classic II! :)

Now that is just a worn out shield nickle, some come out better shape. Lots of valuable stuff reads in those various pull tab ranges.Still the book posted looks like it could be good reading. Can you post the ISBN code number? I order it thru the interlibary loan system for the winter reading. Oh while i'm here i'll post another low reading item.

Not sure what an ISBN code number is. You can get the book at your local White's dealer, that's where I got my copy.

My MXT was acting up so I took it back to the dealer and in the process Mr. Brighty of Sylvania Metal Detectors recommended the book for reading. I know some of you just want to knock what I say but Mr. Brighty helped White's field test the MXT before its release, so that holds more weight with me. You also might want to check out White's home page because their going to be releasing 1/2 hour shows on the Out Door Channel. You can down load some of the episodes to watch, which will really give you the bug to get out there. By the way Mr. Brighty will be staring in one of their 1/2 hour episodes.

and that's not my intention. I still say I'll find good targets if I hunt right behind you when you discriminate out those target ID numbers in your first picture.

...Mr. BRIGHTY of SYLVANIA metal detectors. I think a light bulb just went on in my head.:lol:

I for one applaud your efforts understand the VDI responses generated by you MT. I have a copy of "Closer Look at Disc" A bit dated by current standard but never-the-less a very revealing book. I wasn't until I read this book did I fully appreciate the variations in VDI numbers generated by very simial objects.

How we use that information lies at the heart of detecting. With time and experience we all fine tune our techniques to maximize the probability of digging only the "good" stuff

Jerry K

people to use their disc. and NOT dig stuff. In theory, it leaves more in the ground for other detectorists! And old coins and relics are an unrenewable resource. Once they're gone, they're gone. No one is out planting or replenishing the supply of half dimes and three cent pieces, etc... And I gotta say, after I dig tab 999, I want that next signal to be the gold ring!

That all aside, it's personal preference. Depends on what you like to find. If you want a pouch full of coins, turn up the disc. If you want one good old coin or one gold ring or one good relic, and a pouch full of junk, turn down the disc., focus, and hunt slow, overlapping sweeps, and digging iffy signals (not ALL signals, just the ones you think have potential).

I like both kinds of days, though I rarely turn up the disc., I use my ears for that. Sometimes I have a lazy hunt and just grab the easy stuff... the signals I know are 100% good. Some days I have a dedicated hunt, where I pick a site and hit a small area very hard with old silver in mind. Most days are somewhere inbetween the two.

All I have to say is the longer I have my MXT the more I dig and it is not because I found myself passing on good targets(which I did) but because I have learned more about what the machine is telling me and how I put 2 and 2 together. I don't dig everything by looking at the ID only, it is just one of the tools I use to evaluate the target, as is the depth, signal strenght as well as the sound it makes. But this all takes time in the field and you will get better the more you use it, and I am still learning.

My friend is on SSDI through no fault of his own. He hunts for the extra money he needs for his basic stuff to live on. He likes to hit the parks and such. On occasion he has found his rings and older good stuff. I got him into going to the side walk demo's and house tear downs. He does find some older ones then. Once we were togather and he got an 1874 Indian head. But he still prefers the clad hunting, over going for the old.