Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting stories that i cannot tell you:ban: ................

Wayne in BC

This is not one of them but it is close;)

I must go back nearly 50 years here. I was about 13 years of age and hunting in any form was my first love.
Living on my uncles ranch in east central Alberta was as close to heaven as i expected to get in my young mind at that time. Several hundred head of cattle, a pretty good herd of horses from draft type which we still used to working cow horses, which we needed, and a couple kids ponies. You know, the usual dopey little Shetland/whatever crosses.

Although we had many cattle, hogs, chickens, turkeys etc, we still lived close to financial disaster as did many ranchers and farmers as you all know, and we ate more wild game than anything else. First choice being venison as we had 100's of Mule Deer and some Whitetail on the 7200 acres of mostly sand blowouts, scrub brush and grazing land. Cheap land that had reverted to gov't ownership after most of the farmers and ranchers had gone bust during the "dirty 30's" and my uncle bought it up and leased a bunch more. In some places it took 160 acres just to graze 20 head of cows.
Nuff of that, you get the picture and likely figured out that i am justifying my youthful bloodlust:biggrin:

It fell to me to keep us supplied with wild game, Prairie chickens, Deer, Antelope, and Jack rabbits (dogfood) was all that was edible on that vast prairie but it was enough for me! When chores were done, or i could sneak off unseen, i was gone like a Coyote and everything was meat in my sight.
Like most other country boys, i was usually hoarding .22 shells as they were expensive (27 cents a box for long rifle!, or "extra longs" as my uncle called them)....and doled out a few at a time as we were told to make em count! Yep, the old "one shot one kill" ethic.
Now the real problem with that was, how would one get to be a good shot without practice? Fortunately for me i had burned up a ton of ammo in the army camp (Dominion marksman program) for the kids, but tried to use that line to get more shells anyway:biggrin:

I learned a great truth about those pesky girl critters in those glorious days! Simply put, those girls did not care a whit about my fascination with and burning desire for more ammunition. They instead preferred candy or chocolate and their dolls and i figured that was good, more ammo for me! Now we would only get to town maybe once a month and it was a big deal. The girls would have a bit of money from extra chores, maybe some change totalling less than a dollar. I would have maybe 3 dollars, hard earned by riding my horse 3 miles to a willow patch, cutting fence posts with a crosscut saw and dragging them back in a bundle behind the horse, maybe 6 at a time and all for a nickel apiece!

Well 2 or 3 bucks would buy a bunch of ammo and i would be mighty happy. The girls would buy candy but i would not because it was fairly easy to steal their candy and they sure never thought of stealing my ammo! Boy they were dumb!:rofl: Mind you i did special favors for them if i suspected they were fixing to bake up some goodies........

One day in the early fall, after i had badgered my uncle for a while to let me hunt deer, ( i had killed one already with the .22, a perfect eyeball shot) he said he reckoned as how we could use the meat but i was to be sure of my aim and not wound any poor Deer, head shots only and the .22 was plenty good. I was a happy boy and set out that afternoon to bring in the meat, after being cautioned about not letting "old so and so" see me, he being the local jerk who lived on the nearest place to us, 3 miles away, as he would squeal on anybody who he thought was hunting before the season, even some really poor folk in the community who would have starved otherwise, the jerk!..........
That prairie is flat country and you can see for miles, and he had binoculars so we learned to keep to areas which had a some low rises, maybe 30-40 higher than the countryside and thats where i headed.

continued......:razz:

Meat [as in beef] was far too expensive for us lowly commoners to have. Therefore it was the 'queens [or kings] cattle' that we dined on..... not always in season I might add.

Thanks for the memories. Looking forward to part 2

calm seas

M

but being isolated can be a drag sometimes too.i bet sound traveled pretty far on that flat ground,i'd bet the snitch was always listening.what did you cut for fence posts?cedar?

I never hunted anything bigger than woodchuck with a 22. Course, we used some rather large stuff on woodchucks too:rofl:

I remember haveing dreams of living like that. Heck, when I was young the only thing I was allowed to kill were blackbirds. We were not as remote as you were and the only gun I was allowed to touch was my grandpas BB gun.

It sounds like you lived a young boys dream.

A different world indeed:thumbup:

since we could take the head off a Prairie dog at a 100 ft, there was no problem brain shooting a Deer at the same distance. I only shot from very close in.

this one is going to be a dandy. I cant wait for the next part.

I used to love to squirrel hunt with a .22. I always tried to use shorts when I could as they made the least amount of noise.

Lil Brother

ps You ought to be ashamed taking those girls candy!:nono:

just as much as you would have been at that age;) besides it was my sister and girl cousins, not like they were real people or anything:lol:

mostly for the people along with the lifestyle. My Aunt and Uncle are in their 90's now and i sure wish i could see them. They are still in the same area but have finally moved off the ranch to town just this past year.

i know darn well i would have fit down your way just fine, except for your odd way of talking you folks are just perzactly like my family on the prairies:lol:

memories of learning to shoot with my trusty Remington single shot 22, which I still have here. Like you, each shot had to count, and I still have a fondness for single shot rifles and pistols. I have a decent collection of them and still enjoying shooting off the back porch here.

Looking forward to the Rest of the Story...

George-CT

venison kept one from starving to death! But to bring one down with a .22 bullet, that's impressive.........and at thirteen years old, REALLY impressive.

Rabbits were dog food??? Heck, I ate my share of those for a long long time, and as a matter of fact learned to love it. Then something happened where they were not safe to eat, and daddy stopped killing them for a while. Um-m-m-m-m-m......sounds good right now, that's for sure. And to get it, you can only go to the fanciest of restrurants. Isn't that weird???? Can't wait for your continuation,.......and girls HAVE to have their chocolate! You should know that by now!

And photos of back then??? :)