Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HOW TO DEAL WITH INTRUSIVE HUNTERS

[size=large]Hey there everyone,

Ok, so this morning I'm hunting South Beach in Miami, in a strict grid search pattern of about 40' x 40' sections. Lo and behold, the other detectorists were stepping into my search area like if they couldn't care less that I was even just a few feet away on my way to the same area.

Here's my question:

Is there an ettiquette to this situation? In my short time of detecting, I've always raised my detector while in someone else's "zone" and walked through so as to show a certain respect for bounds. Am I just naive? Is this a free-for-all, hunt-where-you-want, others-be-damned hobby? Because I have to admit...I almost wrapped my detector around the guys' necks.

Help!

Tony[/size]

We Texas boys play a little nicer together, than the Florida boys do. There is MUCH competition there and some who think they own the place, as well. You should be considerate, as you have been, even though some of the others act like a bunch of damn looters. For the most part, I enjoy hunting around the area locals, we all stay out of each others way and nobody gets it all. Hang in there mate!

I have even had a detectorist put his coil in a hole that I was digging...........Somehow they think you know where the good stuff is and if you stand still and stare at them, they will move on by.

I dont know....that a new one on me pards. When I go to the beach and I see more than 2 other detectorists, I usually go somewhere else. Often this takes me to places where fewer people go to the beach, but I think those places also get less pressure from hunters as well. IDK...the real rule is DO unto others.....

So, just be yourself. Where they just came from, they probably overlooked a nice wedding band because they were in a hurry to check out your place. :biggrin:

Live and let live. There's plenty of public beach to go 'round.

I admit though, I do mutter under my breath from time to time, watching these minions, but I don't let them rob me of a good hunt.

aj

[size=large]All good points my new friends! I'll try my best to avoid these scoundrels and either go elsewhere pray to the Almighty he gives me enough patience to deal with them in a patient manner. It was just a little frustrating thats all. [/size]

I hunt mostly waist deep working parrell to the beach. I try to get to the Beach when it is busy to see where most people are in the water. I avoid other hunters in the water, if I have to go deeper or up toward shore I do so. I have found some really nice loot while in my evasive maneuvers, from other hunters, kids, and nosey adults.

It doesn't bother me if another hunter comes up to me to talk and runs his machine till it starts to inter fear with my swing. For the most part I have hunted all around Fl. east and west coast and many lakes and rivers. I have never had a problem with any other hunter walking in front of where I am headed. I will speak to someone if we get close enough just to see how there day is going. I have met allot of great people hunting. I leave my house with the intentions of having a good time, so if I can avoid a bad time by changing my hunt line a little so be it. HH

or "Hazard Investigator" or "Sewage Treatment Inspector" or "I have a Concealed Weapons Permit"

Of course in Miami it would also need to be in Spanish.

I've never had that problem hunting the beaches although I do see other hunters sometimes. Some of them I know and others I don't but we usually give a friendly greeting and maybe talk for just a quick moment and move on and stay out of each other's way. But back a million years or so ago when I was a dedicated relic hunter we used to have people from other areas come down and try to sneak and peak to find out where we were hunting and then come in and hunt our sites when we weren't there. That used to go on a lot and relic hunters are extremely closed mouthed about where they hunt and very particular about who they hunt with because of it. If I had a good site and invited you to come on a hunt with me it meant that trusted you not to tell anybody about the site and it was understood that the invite wasn't an open invitation for you to come back whenever you wanted. These things were understood by most relic hunters but I don't know about beach hunting because I hunt alone and I've never had any problems like what you describe. But I agree with the others. Enjoy your hunt and don't let the impoliteness of others ruin your day.
Jerry

I too have had that happen. Had three hunters come out and hunted on both sides and in front of me. I just stopped, waited untillthey were several feet away, made a 90 degree turn and kept on hunting. they looked back to see where I was and they moved over to get in front of me. I just hunted right up to them and started following them. After the second gold ring I found behind them they split up and left me alone.

Grumpy (TX)

one beach i go to is in a park where the swimming area is roped off and it is a small area and the beach is small, pretty much i go on the opposite side of the detectors or hunt the beach but that park usually isn't big enough for the 2 or 3 of us, but the only thing you can do is leave the park and go to another beach.or just respect each other and give some space .... free country

Hmmm....it does seem like they knew each other...maybe they WERE trying to "squeeze me out"! They were talking amongst themselves afterwards. Sheesh...I got into this hobby to avoid conflict and relax from the stresses of deployment (although the sand doesn't usually help me forget) lol...and here I am the victim of a three-way box-out! Ha! The jokes on them....I work seven days a month and have ALL the time in the world! ;)

Once youv'ed dug up your coin or ring leave a few screwcap or pull tabs buried in the hole for them .:laugh:

You all "y'all" sound like a bunch of softies to me:punch: Me personally.. I wouldn't take that crap..:ranting:
Ignorant people need lectures at times..

After thinking about this episode and the location, I suspect these are guys that post on this and "the other" forum. It sounds like they were trying to intimidate you. If that's the case, they are very experienced, but calculating, arrogant and unethical for what they did. I do not believe ignorance comes into play.

Sounds like a little confrontation would be appropriate if they do the same thing again and you'll probably see them again. Good Luck.

Hi all i have had all that and more but one guy used to come up to our town every year and do the same thing to me he would walk in front of me and do his best to make me leave the area so one day i took a heap of goodies from home down to the beach with me and when he got in front of me i would follow his tracks and when he would look around i would start digging and digging until i had a hole down around two feet then i would secretly place one of my goodies in the hole then make a yahoo sound and get up and look at my find so he could see it .after a few of these plants he came over and asked what had i found so i pulled out the biggest diamond ring and showed him boy was he p----ed so then i said to him keep in front of me please because every time he did i had incredible luck guess what i never saw him from that day on.terry in oz

I was taught from an early age to be polite. My parents used to tell me as a boy "Son, Be Polite - It Costs No More to Be Polite". I guess these boys were raised in a chicken house by a pack of weasels.:laugh: No point in dropping down to their level. Keep hunting and showing respect for your fellow hunters, maybe some of that goodwill and decency will rub off on 'em.:shrug:

Cheers,

BDA:cool: