Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many folks know how to catch a Texas Doodlebug? ...............

Kelley (Texas)

I assume that you folks know what a Texas Doodlebug looks like, correct? They are sorta a skinny looking grubworm like bug with two little brown colored pinchers on the front of them. They live at the bottom of a small hole that will be anywhere from one to three inches deep. They are lots of fun to catch, but you need to know how to do it. Once you find the Doodlebug hole, you take a broom straw or weed stem and gently knock a few grains of sand or dirt into the hole. This will get the Doodle Bug's attention. Now this next part is the key to being successful in catching the Doodlebug...trust me, do not skip this important part. After you gently knock a few grains of sand into the hole, and have inserted the broom straw or weed stem, you must place a finger about two inches from the hole and start making a circle around the Doodlebug hole with the finger. While you are moving your finger around the hole, start chanting "Doddle, doodle, doodle, doodle bug...doodle, doodle, doodle bug, please come out to play!" After a short period of time, you will notice the broom straw or weed stem moving...get ready! The Doodlebug does not like the broom straw or weed stem in his hole, so he will use his two pinchers to grab ahold of the broom straw or weed stem and attempt to push it out of the hole. As he is pushing the broom straw or weed stem out of the hole, give it a sharp yank and you will pull him out of the hole. After we got done catching the Doodlebug, we would turn him loose and let him go back into his hole. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Hmmm is this the same critter that is called an Ant lion ? Makes it home in soft sand or dirt and hides at the bottom of a funnel shaped hole ?

Enjoyed playing with them at recess as a kid in school during the early years ....

Bill G.

or some type of bug cousin because the Texas Doodlebug also eats ants. Do you all have Tumblebugs? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Not sure what do they look like? or do?
Sunday nights here are sloooooowwwww . so I surf a lot , and should post more here but also have to walk that fine line of what I can and can not do at work as to postings , surf the net time etc, etc ...

Bill G.

n/t

I will assume that this is a real thing you did and that you are not pulling my leg.

Calm seas

Mikie

the Doodlebug...guess it may be too cold up there in Canada for Doodlebugs to survive, thus the reason that you have never seen one. I would not ever try to pull the wool over your eyes, trust me! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

There is another bug down here that you also may not have heard about...the Tumblebug. This bug is known as the "Turd Buzzard" by some folks. Do you have any up there where you live? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

I went on a snipe hunt my own dumb self!! Carved a special "Snipe Club" and set in a dang field in the middle of the night, waiting for a snipe. Never saw one though :sadwalk:

http://www.antlionpit.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMaThdpwCI

Check out the rest of the Doodlebug Videos. Sounds like they talk funny down there in Texas. I always thought they did :rofl:

iraqi spider and the fire ants. Language is typical of todays youth, so be aware

we do get circle flies!

can be amusing and cute. You must climb a high mountain to find them and they look like real rabbits but are 1/10th the size. We would sit quietly by a rockpile and when they came out and scurried around, sometimes running over our feet, then whistle like a Hawk which would freeze them in place and sometimes one could grab them and pet them a bit before turning them loose. Doodlebugs sound dangerous and i am too old for that:biggrin:
[attachment 72852 Pika2.jpg]

Wiener grass dog,it only comes out of its den during the winter months,I personely have never really seen one yet.But they are closely related to nerd dogs.I think I will set up a trap for one and hopefully sell the pictures to the Nationa Enquier magazine.

This is a picture of a Texas Doodlebug hole that leads to his home at the bottom.....

[attachment 72888 Doodlebughole.jpg]

"Doodlebugs are easy to keep as a "pet". Get a plastic shoe box and fill it about half full with dry sand. Now take the plastic top and cut a six inch circle out of the center, leaving the snap on edge intact. Cut some screen to fit and hot glue it inside the top so the lid snaps on, but the center is a screened opening. You're done.
Now go catch a doodlebug ...and some ants for feed. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

n/t