Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hilltop Harvest 2006 - Part II - Finale

Arkie John

Welcome back. Now Where were we? Oh yeah.

The arrow arched toward its target only to miss. The buck heard my bow and immediately whirled and

that is the mark of a very experienced hunter.
I have noted that a mortally hit Deer may run quite a distance but their gait seems stiff, less fluid, and had only that to go on when not able to see a definite hit at times. I'm betting that was in your mind also.
Congrats! Are you able to hunt more Deer, limit?
Thanks for a stellar story and not leaving us hanging too long:thumbup:

The catch-22 was that it was beginning to drizzle and the light was almost gone. Normally I would have waited for quite some time so that I wouldn't chance "bumping" the deer in the next county (giving time to bleed out for non-hunters) but I didn't have that luxury.

Because it was dark I couldn't see the details of his departure--only that he ran like a scalded dog! I'm so glad he didn't run far and saved me the drugery of a late evening find.

Yes, as a matter of fact, here in Arkansas we can take four deer. We have one of the longest bow seasons in the nation.

Thanks for the post Wayne. Coming from you, your kind words are an honor.

On a side note, we reestablished elk here in the early 80's and have been having limited hunts for about five years now. But the hunts are severely limited to just 20 permits...STATEWIDE. Maybe one day I will be able to go on a rich man's guided hunt out west or up north and get within 60 yards. Now, THAT....would be a real HOOT!

aj

...it's a little difficult to pull off a second shot. But hunting turkeys from the ole' Double Bull pop-up blind, Lil' Brother and I got THREE SHOTS EACH (yes, EACH) while hunting about three years ago.

Hunting from the Double Bull, it isn't uncommon to get two shots, but you can't take it for granted, by a long shot (no pun intended). :lol:

aj

Yep i get it for sure AJ. Tough in poor light! I always figured that if they "flagged" me i had not hurt them, if they tucked, they were probably hit. Had to check anyway as you indicated cause there is always an exception and a Bow has little or no hydrostatic shock effect. I only took a few animals with my Bow and have not near your experience.
If you get an Elk tag i hope you can take a Cow cause in the rut time the bulls smell like a spring billygoat and are near as tough!:lol:

sister has an ice chest too!!!!!!!!!!11 Congrats, dear brother on your harvest! And since you like venison AND soup, I will send you a new recipe that you will love!

Your story was great, and you seemed to enjoy your time off to the max, in the shop, sleeping late AND getting a dear deer! I still feel sorry for the poor "skirl" tho! (That's what Ali and Jack call them)!

I bet daddy was a grinnin' when you started your hunt off with a good one. :) ILY

i hear it's suppose to cool off a little by thursday,probably be good hunting weather,the leaves will come off soon and you'll need your camo.

thanks for taking the time to post your story John.

I think I am gonna dig my bow out this next summer and practice a bit. It would be nice to get in the woods.

Fine story:thumbup:

I still have.... in fact I guess I always will have... a problem wrapping my head around being in a tree stand. Not that there is anything wrong... it is just something that i have never seen and is not done as a form of hunting up here. When I go out, I usually go out my north gate into my northern field and start to walk. Whether I get anything or not is really immaterial. I just enjoy the walk and the alone time in the woods. I have never hunted deer with a bow.... Most of my shots are in the 150-200 yard range.

Is using a tree stand 'mandatory' in Arkansas? Or is it the preferred way? I can see it being necessary if you are bow hunting. It would probably be too difficult to get very close if you were walking around.

I was out this evening... Only a few does and youngsters so they went free. still looking for my buck this season.

Thank you for the story!!!

Fair winds

M

...because the leaves will come off and the snakes will go underground. The deer will move better during the day and Johnboy and Tom will be happy campers.

C'mon fall! <><

aj

...give you a good view, they keep the scent from being such a factor and the deer (generally) don't look up. They also make you stay still. Daddy always said to us, "the one that's still gets the shot." It is true, plus it was his way of getting three snot-nosed kids to be still for at least ten minutes. :lol:

I hunt deer from the Double Bull as well, but I prefer the tree stand. I can see the woods and that, to me, is so much part of the hunt.

Thanks for posting. <><

aj

What a way to end the perfect day! Sounds like you did everything right and have the meat to prove it!Congrats on your buck and thanks for taking us along!

...I'll fix you up, sis.

Better yet, come over and let me know you're comin' and I'll fix you a good meal!

God made squirrels for target practice!

Johnboy

n/t

And I hope you did the right thing by sharing your kills ! Lil bro's sure to enjoy his squirrel feast.:rofl::clapping:

I've never hunted, except for a few dove hunts and two squirrel hunts, but I've always enjoyed hunting stories and you "writ a goodun'" :).