Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey Sunny.....here's a few pics of that table I told you about.......

It's not a piece to die for or anything like that but we liked it's character just the same. Our old neighbor had thrown it to the road and Grace just had to have it. It had 4 or 5 coats of paint on it and Grace thought it'd make a nice "do together project", which means that she'd bring me a coffee when I wanted one.:lol: I believe it dates from the 40's with those fold down leaves. Grace picked up the chairs at a yard sale for twenty bucks and located a gentleman in his 70's who taught her how to re-weave the seats. This fella was blind, incidentally ! Grace had some contacts as she used to work with the physically dis-abled. It sits in a room we seldom or never use but the room needed something in it. We'll use it for the occasional breakfast or sumpin' like that. The satisfaction comes from making something beat up nice again, as you well know. Sorry for taking so long to post.

n/t

n/t

job on this. It truly is a beautiful piece, with a great story behind it. Just remember to write the story so your children and grandchildren will appreciate it later on! I love to restore old pieces like this. I find it great therapy, and get a lot of satisfaction out of it, as you said! Does take lots of elbow grease, tho, but nothing wrong with hard work!

Did you take a photo of it "before" too??? That's what I like to do. Have a before and after shot!

It's gorgeous! Good work, and tell Grace the chairs look wonderful with it.

I think my brother still owns a table my daddy made when we were young, and it had two dropped sides. Maybe he will take a photo and post it. Nothing fancy, just home made, but he made it and that's what makes it so special!

Thanks for taking the time to post this! :)

When Grace saw that table go to the road, she was on it like a fly on poop.:lol: I put up a fuss telling her I wanted nothing to do with it and whatever else I could think of saying but you see where it sits now. For the record, I wear the pants in this house.......they're just Grace's pants !:cry: I'm glad we did it now though. My problem is, I'd just rather metal detect. But I do get satisfaction out of older pieces. Just something about their character, I guess. Thanks again for the compliment !

I'd head out to the garage every once in a while and spend a couple of hours or so. I'd get tired of it and then go back to it a couple of weeks later. I brought it into the house pretty well stripped once the cold weather got here and only applied the finish coat a couple of weeks ago. It's time consuming for sure but I think I'll do more of it once I retire, in five years or so (when I'm not detecting). Thanks for the compliment !:)

The last coat of paint on it was that typical turqouise that those pieces always seemed to have. Under that was red and then brown and God knows what else. But you're right in your thinking and I'll never do another piece without taking a before shot. You and Grace think much alike. She's going to fasten a little note under the tables top denoting how the piece was "purchased" and the date that it was finished for our kids and/or our grandkids.......whoever ends up with it. And a bit about the blind fella that showed her how to re-weave the chairs. It's a bit of story and an art that is long ago forgotten. BTW.....my grandparents home did not have a piece of furniture in it that wasn't made by my grandfather. Most of it from tree's from his own property. It was fairly simple to look at but solid as a rock. Things like that are what makes something special in my eyes. Thanks again for the kind words.:)

I plan to do is TURQUOISE!!!! Seriously! I will take a photo of it and let you see. It, too, has a couple of leafs that fold up or down, yet the top of it is probably not more that twelve or fifteen inches wide when they are down! It is probably about three and a half feet long.

I know just a few older people who can weave the chairs like that, and it is indeed a true craft!

I still have a table that my dad made here at my house too! It's a square table that he made mother when she got her two new sofas, and he made it to put in the corner. it was made of oak, I think, and then framed the top so he could put glass in the middle of it. I still have that in photos the way it was originally, but Scott modified it a bit. He should have just left it alone, because it lost a lot of character in the updating. Things like this mean more to me than any furniture money can buy! :)

I've seen many pieces from that era with that color.:shrug: And I couldn't agree with you more about the true "worth" of a piece. It lies in it's sentimental value ! :thumbup:

You and Willy can forget about me EVER posting a pic of my sofa again !:rofl:

n/t

n/t