Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help identify the gold looking coin. Doubloom maybe?

Coin update:lmfao:...I had it looked at by a jeweler and a pawn show that states they specialize in coins and both stated it was only worth between $65.00 - $100.00 keeping in mind both places wanted to buy it from me on the spot, they seemed a little to eager. I'm still going to have it looked at again and wait for an answer from the museum. I find it hard to believe that it's only worth $65.00 - $100.00 since both stated it was real gold. I want to keep the dream alive as long as I can I guess even if is only worth that, but it was still a great find for my 1st time out. I appreciate all the support you all have shown. Until my next outing!:bouncy:

Very smart move; like the rest of us, I've been following this since you first posted the find. Super find, and hold on to it until you get the final answer from the experts......

Hey Weekendwarrior, I have no idea at all what it is worth but it's got to be one of the best finds I've seen in a long time! I don't care if they said it was worthless. It is the thought that you have pulled from its hiding a part of history which was lost. Not many people can say they had the honor of doing so! Could you imagine the history of that coin from the gold being mined to the forming of the coin, the hands that it passed from to however it ended up where you found it. If that coin could talk could you imagine the history it carries with it. You need to be proud of your accomplishment no matter the turn out. You have captured a part of history and a memory which will stay with you for life. The value of that coin is priceless for what it means, not just the $ amount of its value. I too would wait for the experts to give you a idea of it's value. If it is only worth what was previously mentioned I wouldn't part with it and you always have the sentimental value to keep forever. Just my opinion though, But I'm proud of your accomplishment and hope someday I'll match its equal myself.

It's funny you mention the history all the way back to the mining, forming, and ownership of the coin through history. I have tried to explain it to my kids in the same way. You are absolutely correct as the find no matter what the value, will always be priceless to me. I will wait for the experts to respond, but am thinking of making it a charm for my necklace if it is only worth the $65.00 - $100.00. I have seen several jewelers that can encase the outside of the coin in gold or silver as not to alter the original state of the coin. Again, I appreciated all the advice and look forward to many more years of sharing and communication on this site.

WOW, that is amazing. First hunt gets the gold:cheers:

Thanks for asking. I have had it appraised by an antique coin auction house in Texas and they said it was real but only worth about $200.00 since it is in such bad shape. I just took it yesterday 7/19 to an antique show and they stated it was a Roman coin, but said for me to take it to another dealer they recommended next to verify value as well as authenticity. I am still doing my research into it and will post an update when I feel a true expert has given me a trusted opinion.

Hey that's better than the last estimate!:thumbup:Even at that price I would be most likely be keeping it and doing what you said like the necklace thing. Still a AWESOME find!!!

Does not match any Roman, Celtic, or Greek coins I can find, but the Doubloon is still the closest to what that looks like.

BH-LandStar