Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hard water fishing and involuntary ice diving ..................

Wayne in BC

Royal's post reminded me of an adventure that can only come from youth and just plain goofyness!

I was always a fisherman, my first and clearest memories from childhood have almost exclusively been of piscatorial pursuits. This fixation, tho i do not remember from whence it came, cause my Dad did not fish and was always gone somewhere with the military, always played a huge part in my life. It also kept me out of much more serious trouble:biggrin:

After leaving the West coast for the "frozen prairies" at about age 10 in the mid fifties, my fishing seemed to be over. No longer would a couple minutes walk in decently warm weather even in winter, bring me Trout, Salmon, etc. We were some 20 miles from any water that held fish, and those fish were considered "trash fish". Pike, Perch, Suckers, etc.:cry: As time went by they became much less trashy, even sought after enough that i and a friend would ride our bikes many miles for these smelly critters :biggrin:

My fishing even progressed, due to withdrawal, to "ice fishing"! The domain of a hardy breed of desperate fools, who, bereft of all the modern conveniences such as warm clothing, "ice augers" and "ice tents", would spend hours with an axe chopping holes through up to 3 feet of ice ( the hole started 3 feet wide, narrowed to 8 inches and you got real wet finishing it!) to have fun, while our Sainted mothers would attempt to cook the, often scrawny and boney, frozen stiff "trophies" we proudly brought home.

One day the inevitable finally happened, you can only tempt fate with stupidity for so long then.....
I was 25 years old, recently married to a female critter who fished....(only while we were dating:shrug:) I had a day off, it was winters tail end, late March, but still lots of ice on the lakes and i had a hankering to get some Lake Whitefish, one of the better eating critters the prairies had. I rounded up my gear, consisting of my ice auger, short rod and lures, a plastic covered pad to lie on, an old tarp which i would throw over my head to block out the light, making it easy to see my quarry, and a toboggan to haul it on, in the trunk of the car. Then i was off on a 40 mile drive to the lake, most of it on a main hiway.

It was a nice sunny day, temp about 50 when i arrived at Lake Wabamum. This lake is quite large, nearly 10 miles long by 3-4 wide. It has a coal fired electrical generating plant on one end which has a warm water discharge. We liked that end of the lake as the ice was not near as thick, often only 8-10 inches thick and that made cutting holes much easier. One had to beware and not go too near the area near the plant, there was open water no matter how cold it got, plus a huge cloud of ice fog you could get lost in!

This day i was a mile away from the open water, but the bay i was in had only 8 inches of ice due to the warmer weather and effect of the power plant. The water was clear, maybe 20 ft deep, and you could see every weed on the bottom with the tarp over your head. There was still several inches of slushy snow on the ice so i followed a hardpacked snowmobile track out a few hundred feet, cut a hole, and immediatly caught a fat 5 lb Whitefish. Whoo hoo! Life was good:thumbup:

Now you all know darn well that i am gonna fall through the ice, and that is sorta but not really what this story is about:biggrin: which i will continue........

"Hard water fishing" BAAAAHAHAHAHAAA! :rofl:

one of my ice dives. I never did like ice diving but this one was special. I will wait a bit to get that one done.

Thanks for the tale buddy!!

Sunny skies, calm seas, fair winds

M

got Mikey remembering one. I can't wait to hear the rest of yours, and to read the one Mikey is going to post. Sounds like good stuff ahead! Don't dilly dally, neither one of you! :) I got to hear some tales in Canada from Royal about ice fishing when he was young. Seems to me it would be kind of spooky, but I bet it is fun! That's something I will probably never get to do, but any kind of fishing is fun to me! :)

n/t

KEEPER! Still love to fish huh? Well a man could overlook a lot of "girl things" for THAT! Being "Shiny" helps a bunch also:thumbup::biggrin:

major scared!

It was common for the area i was in to have only a couple of fish, whereas some places had large schools of them, this place had larger and fewer, after catching a couple maybe, one had to move 50 feet or so and i lost another a few moments later so moved out further.

The day had warmed some, getting real nice, and i noted that ice was thinning out as i went, now about 6 inches and time to work back towards shore, right after trying out this here handy hole that someone had spudded just off the snowmobile trail.

I grabbed my pad and tarp off the toboggan, took three steps and went down....sploosh! Instantly i was a few feet UNDER the ice!!!! You know, in retrospect i guess i shoulda dropped the bloody fishing rod.....but kicking mightily and flailing, i got my head out of the water with some help from the air bubbles in my Nylon winter jacket. Grabbing the edge of the ice was futile it was rotten and crumbled, but i was still focused on the important things and clumsily flung my fishing rod to safety:rolleyes:

Now i was feeling the incredible cold and was sure that it would be weeks before i could pee without a tweezers and as for anything else well.....

I was good and mad at myself but still not thinking of the true danger of my situation. I always was a very strong swimmer but it took only the next 30 seconds to realize that was not going to be enough. As i slowely broke ice and kicked my way towards shore and hopefully thicker ice, and after making only a couple feet, i felt the pain of the cold begin to subside, that was cause for real concern as i knew it to be a bad sign, my time was getting dangerously short and i felt fear for the first time, there was nobody around during the week to help and i was on my own!

I knew i could not go much further and how far was solid ice from me? The brain finally started working and told me that the snowmobile trail i had been walking on must be solid, so i turned to my right and began kicking and breaking ice towards it only a few feet away D'oh! I got there and used my toboggan to crawl up on. Barely strong enough to make it onto it, i lay there for a few moments before carefully getting to my knees and pushing the toboggan ahead of me, (grabbed the dang fishing rod .....and my fish which was lying next to the trail) i painfully navigated to my previous stop where i felt safe enough to get to my feet and head for my car several hundred feet away.

The effort of the trip back to shore had warmed me enough that i was feeling pain again and the fleeting thought of using the fishing rod to retrieve my pad and tarp only lasted a second or two:wacko:
I started the car, cranked up the heater, then jumped around with my sodden, heavy coat off while it warmed up. When the heater started to work good i started to strip off my clothes, soon they were on the floor in the backseat and i was sitting naked cept for my shorts and getting WARM! Oooooh, that felt sooooo good:biggrin:

It was still only 11:30 am and i had a plan! Can't waste a days fishing ya know, gosh i had only one fish! So what if it was good enough for a family meal......i was better than that! By gum!

Tell ya more later.........

Wisconsin I stay off the ice because I just don't know enough about it to fish on it, heck, I don't know enough about fishing either :lol:

Like the true fishermen you are Wayner you saved the fishing rod first, hahaha :lol:

Excellent story Wayner and I'm sure glad you made it out of the icy water :clapping:

that is what the story forum is all about. Remembering

Thanks for the post Wayner and now for part two!!

Wait!!! that is the ice diving story I am going to tell.

Good story... keeps me on the edge

Sunny skies

M

n/t

At that time we had a cottage at a nearby lake, maybe 15 miles away called Lac St Anne. Young and stubborn, i was not admitting defeat and there were big Whitefish as well as Walleye in that lake. There was also an oil heater and a woodstove in the cottage, and now if i just trundled over there, well heck i could warm up and there were lots of extra clothing there too.

Now i was quite warm and like a typical young bonehead, my brush with fate was all but forgotten. Sitting in the car in my jockey shorts was not getting any fishing done and i put her in gear and headed towards the hiway and the cottage. Getting another "brainwave" i began rolling down windows and putting my clothes out then rolling up the window, hey, they would dry pretty fast at hiway speed:lol:

When i got on the hiway my car looked like a rolling laundromat and i was starting to be a bit embarrassed but i shrugged it off, thinking to heck with the other drivers as they did double takes and laughed:biggrin:

I had about 8 miles to go on the main hiway to my turnoff when i see/feel something beside me in the fast lane, looking to my left, there sits a Greyhound bus! Pacing me as the driver lets his passengers have a look, yep they can see right down to the now completely naked fool with all the laundry hanging on his car( i had taken my shorts off too cause they were mucho uncomfortable) the passengers were crammed three to a window and laughing their asses off as i braked and kinda hid my face....not much to hide down below....still kinda cold:lol:

The bus got back on his schedule and i soon made my turn onto the country road that led to the lake. In a few minutes i was at the cottage. There was a problem though, the snow was so deep that the back entrance was impassable, they never plowed alleys in that little town in winter. Yes it was a little town and our cottage was right on the main street a block from the store across from the water.

Sitting there did not work so i put my wet boots and shorts back on, saw no traffic, darn little in those days, and made a break for the door of the cottage. To get there i had to cross about 50 feet of yard through 2 feet of snow and i got up the steps to find i had the wrong key!:rage: Back i go, now this ain't fun at all anymore cause i get part way across the snow covered lawn and a big ol' Chrysler New Yorker comes slowly down the road with several old "whitehairs" gawking at me hopping through the snow mostly naked:yikes:

By this time i did not care, just kept going to the car, got the right key from the glovebox and stomped back to the door!

I grabbed an old blanket to wrap up in while the stoves got going.....dang! it was way colder in the house than outside! I was just getting warm and having a hot chocolate when the door opened and the town cop stepped in with his gun in his hand....well he about scared me to death for a couple seconds, until he recognised me and began to laugh. He kept on for a bit, then said ok, tell me the story!
He had not recognised the car cause i had had a different one last he saw me in the summer, so when he got a report about a crazy naked man down at the "Williams" cottage, well.....:rofl:

I did not go home empty handed that day, an hour later i was on the lake and came home with 3 more fish, 2 Walleye and another Whitefish. I had to blushingly tell my folks what had happened cause i knew the town Cop would, so i got some static from them and also my wife.

Dang that was fun:thumbup:

n/t

I said before, I don't fish with anything fancy, just a little boat with a good motor and trolling motor, and a rod, reel, and a lot of minnows. The brothers still do not like to fish with me, although they are "baiting" me right now about going fishing in the near future! I can't wait, as they are my favorite fishing buddies! :)

i had slowed down some by then, heck i was 24 ish :lol:
Glad you enjoyed it, was funny to me also........LATER.