Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gonzales, Texas, the birthplace of Texas.................

Kelley (Texas)

It was a beautiful day...sunny with the temperature reaching the upper 70's. After doing a few chores around here, I decided to ride out to Gonzales, Texas which is the birthplace of Texas. There is much history in Gonzales County, Texas...the Texas War for Independence started here...one of the deadliest gun fighters of the old west, John Wesley Hardin was from Gonzales County...the only folks that went to the aid of the Alamo were 32 men and boys from Gonzales County...Gonzales County is the fourth cattle producing county in the Nation. Our original ranch was located thirteen miles south of Gonzales, Texas.

This is a picture of the Gonzales County Courthouse located in Gonzales, Texas. Our original cattle brand is still registered at the Courthouse.
[attachment 81661 Gonzales_42-23-08.jpg]

This is a picture of the movie theater located in Gonzales, Texas. It has been restored and presently still in business. It is rare to find a movie theater still operating in a small town.
[attachment 81662 Gonzales_102-23-08.jpg]

The Mexican Government lent the folks in Gonzales a small cannon to be used for protection from the Indians roaming the area. When rumors reached Santa Anna that the Texans were thinking about revolting and declaring their independence, he sent a company of Mexican soldiers to Gonzales to retrieve the cannon. When they arrived at Gonzales, they camped outside the town and sent a messenger with the note of demand that they give back the cannon. The next morning, the folks from Gonzales showed up with the cannon and told the Mexican soldiers to "come and get it" as they fired a shot from the cannon in their direction. The Mexican soldiers retreated all the way to Mexico City where they told Santa Anna what had happened. Santa Anna was pizzed and the war for independence was made official. This is a monument that the folks made to honor the "come and get it" conflict that started the war.
[attachment 81663 Gonzales_22-23-08.jpg]

[attachment 81664 Gonzales_32-23-08.jpg]

These are some pictures of the downtown area of Gonzales, Texas. These are some beautiful old building and would be great if they were restored.
[attachment 81665 Gonzales_52-23-08.jpg]

[attachment 81666 Gonzales_82-23-08.jpg]

While eating at the Dairy Queen, I ran into an old friend, Randy Vara. He had a small ranch about four miles from ours and we helped each other out many a times doing fence work or hauling cattle to the auction together. We visited for about an hour and I reluctantly headed back to San Antonio. While on the way back to San Antonio, I stopped at Wood Lake to see if it had changed much these past few years. While there, I ran into two men that I had known about thirty years...we visited for a few minutes while they showed me some catfish that they had caught and then I again headed for San Antonio. I must confess, riding just shy of two hundred fifty miles plum wore me out today. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Your right, those would be nice buildings all restored. That Town Hall is really nice. Looks a little like ours here in Windham. I'll have to get a picture of it. Wonder if they were build at about the same time. Its brick also.

Out riding the bike around huh. Glad your getting to do that. No riding here yet, We had 7 fresh inches of snow yesterday and more on the way for Tuesday. March should finish us up for the hard times of winter. 200 miles is along ride on a bike. Its different with the wind getting at you, more vision so your mind is pretty busy taking it all in and still riding ahead of yourself for safety. I'll sure be glad to get back on mine. Funny,, I saw your temps on CNN yesterday and was thinking, Fred must really be enjoying this. Glad you are my friend. Thanks for pictures and history of your town there. Any good detecting in that area or is most of it off limits?

Fred, I tried to bring out the text in the statue as much as I could... Geo

George-Ct

in Gonzales, Texas. There is a large house across the road from the Dairy Queen that was built with bricks from Gonzales too...I should have taken a picture of it, but I just forgot.

The wind was strong today and made riding somewhat difficult at times. I traveled a total of 247 miles round trip and like I said, it wore me out, but it was good seeing a few folks that I have not seen in years.

I do not like this camera, a Canon A720 IS. The pictures do not seem to be very clear like the ones that I took with my Sony DSC-1H camera. I recently bought the Canon because it was 8 megpics whereas the Sony was only 5 megpics. I do not have very good luck at photography, especially macro bug pictures. Now I can't get good landscape pictures with this new camera.

There are lots of good places to metal detect around Gonzales, but you can not metal detect on any historical site or site with a historical easement on private property.

I am undecided as to whether or not I will ride somewhere tomorrow...will have to wait and see how I feel. If I feel like it, I guess that I could ride up to Kingsland, Texas and ride with my cousin, Carolynn, over to Enchanted Rock, but we are talking about a two hundred and fifty mile round trip and I do not know if I am up to it. She has one of those scooters like Royal...it will go about sixty-five miles per hour. Originally, I would stay at her house and ride back the next day, but I have a commitment for Monday and would have to ride back the same day. The temperature should be in the upper 80's tomorrow. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

250 miles plus or minus a few is along ways on a bike. My mind is so busy that I get worn out. I find that if I stop for fuel at around 100 or 120, take a break, drink, kick back, let the mind settle down, I can go on. I also find that if I keep it at 55 I'm less tired than if I'm running hard like when I'm with a group of guys. It never fails with a bunch of guys, they start racing or pushing, at least in our club they do. Nature of the beast I guess in a racing club. I usually ride sweep, the last guy in the pack. Don't have to be so concerned about anyone behind me, or on the sides. And they normally set the mode at the lights where they let the whole bunch thru.

On the pictures. It takes a little time to figure cameras out. In the one I tried to bring out the text in, thats pretty normal with the sky as the background. The lighter background shuts the lens down to where the statue is to dark. I used used Paint Shop Pro to lighten it, Most any paint program, plenty of free ones online will fix a picture. Infranview is a good free one. It has alot of features in it for pictures to take care of what the lens can't. Lighting is always trickey. To me, more so with digital cameras, then it seemed to be with my 35 mm camera. Perhaps they are more sensitive to bright backgrounds.

Jeese , Upper 80's tomorrow, we will not see that until Late June perhaps. Might get a day once in awhile but they are rare. Today it was a balmy 28 with 7 inch's of new snow on ground. Another month and we will be able to ride with cold weather gear on like a full overall suit. even then you want to be back home by sun set or its gets really uncomfortable.

Enjoy your ride.

George-CT

I was fascinated how Royal or Willy P would put different folk's heads on different bodies and Adobe Photoshop was susposed to be able to do this. The box said it was easy to use...well, it was not easy to use and I still do not know how to use it. My Son installed a simple photo shop program on this computer and I can resize pictures and do a few other things with it...but, I have a hard time understanding this simple photo shop program too. I do not have the talent that you, Royal, Willy P, and a few others have in regards to photography, but that is OK because I still have fun doing it the best that I can. When the bugs are again abundant, I really want to again try to take some good bug macro pictures. I have always enjoyed the great bug photos posted by Royal...he is a natural when it comes to photography. Ron is also a good photographer...he has posted some great sea photos and stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Friday evening, and Sat. a.m. from 5 to noon was either the Chevy plow truck, or the Michigan bucketloader, pushing the 9 or so inches of snow! That beats the crap out me! i am feeling it this morning... Looks like this...These pictures are from a couple of years ago...But it still is the same thing!! Just deeper,this strom. We have three plow trucks going constantly,while the Sales crew move every car,before were done.[attachment 81683 Snow033.jpg][attachment 81684 Snow031.jpg]

Do they have any kind of monument set where Harden grew up? Is there a house there now.

That was a long ride you made Fred. The longest I ever made with my scooter was 176 miles and that was in the Rockies. Mary and I were out there and just had a ball that day but it was tough on but butt and back!!

Thanks for posting the pictures Fred. I sure enjoy seeing history

He was shot in the back of the head and died. Some folks claim that he was extremely loyal to friends and would never betray them.

I do wish that my photos were on par with the type that you post...maybe one of these days! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I think that I would not like to be confined to shelter and not be able to get out doors to explore. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Great history in your neck of the woods.John Wesly Hardin was a bad man for sure and many of the famous gun fighters came from Texas. About our only claim to fame along those lines was Jesse and Frank James.....and they were known more as outlaws than gun fighters. They once robbed a train not far from where I live

I would have thought that it would be right there with the monument and statue.

How many people live there now?

Lot of history there and I love history.

Thank you

Mikie

It's nice to go back and visit your past, isn't it? I'm not fond of even the small changes my home town has made when I go back to visit. I like to step back and remember when I can. Cheers. Thnaks for the great post.

but you often leave with a certain amount of sadness. You realize how much you miss your friends and the good life that you enjoyed. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Some folks think it was buried and it's location lost, other folks think that it was sent to the Alamo...but no one really knows what happened to it. There is one there now, but it is not the original cannon. I do not think that we will ever know what became of that famous cannon. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the south part of Oklahoma, near Lawton, Oklahoma. His name is also associated with a few treasure tales down here in South Texas. There is lots of history up there in Missouri too.

Say, how about writing a story about that train that they robbed near you...I think it would be interesting. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

8,000 people. It is a strong agricultural area...cattle, chickens, and etc. They are proud folks, honest and hard working, but they know how to laugh and enjoy life to it's fullest. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)