Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gonna do it!

This is what i am using.
Get s set of headphones made for metal detectors.
Most good one are over 100 OHM do not use home stereo headphones most are 8 ohms.
I pick my set up from this forum at a good price.

Great! I will look into getting a pair. I have a question anyway about this. Does it take experience to get the benefit of using good headphones? Will I benefit right away? I know you say that you can hear deeper targets. Explain if you have time. I hope this isn't a dumb question.
Tom

Never having a unit like this before I can only add my 1 cent. From all the whole year of researching, asking, reading, it is a detector that will grow with you. I think too many folks want to fiddle, tweek without knowing what the heck everything does/effects other things.

I won't be impatient to be so bold to think I know this unit after 1 week. It'll probably be presets for most of this year for me, I want a long term relationship with this unit. I look at this like buying an older dog, you have to learn what HE's telling you and slow down and learn. The stuff has been there buried, if it's there when I get to it, so be it, if not so what, ... on to the next.

It is an enjoyable hobby, I for one will enjoy this hobby with my XLT and wish anyone who does detect with whatever machine their money buys them the same good luck! So hoping this snow goes and we can all get out and detect and show our finds :)

The question is a good one to ask.
Headphone will let you hear all the sound your detector is giving you.
Some tones are very light and short to hear.
With headphones you will learn what the detector is saying and one big plus it your detector will go for LONGER TIME BEFORE YOU NEED TO CHANGE BATTERIES.

hello!..judy!
you are correct,because the folks who purchase this unit WANT to be able to make those adjustments!..as you mentioned,take it slow at first,then tweek to your heart's content..you will have the perfect machine for that!.the advantage of the xlt is that you CAN tweek it for any conditond you may encounter in the field,just be careful because it is very easy to get the wrong combination of adjustments for the site you are hunting,which can give you poorer performance than had you left it in a factory pre set setting!..if i owned one,i would hunt in a factory program for a while learning the nuances of the detector,and than later play around with the various settings!

(h.h!)

j.t.

Hi JT. I do plan on using factory presets probably most of this year till I think I'm comfortable. Lots of time/places to go, when I'm confident, then I'll venture out, use a couple of the custom programs I have, and redo what I've hunted just to see if I missed anything. This hobby is like "cracker jacks", you never know what surprise you'll get and that's why I love it!

The XLT has been my number one detector since 1995. I now have fourteen detectors. Have tried them all- DFX MXT CZ70pro ID EDge Explorer and others I forget. The main thing to remember about adjusting the XLT is to start every prograqm in the relic mode as it is more sensitive with less iron rejection(less masking) Adjust the AC and the preamp for depth. The other adjustments are for your comfort--volumn,tone ,threshold. I keep trying new machines thinking somdething better has to be out there. But for me it is still the XLT.

It is hard to beat a good local dealer who will help. An online dealer may be a little cheaper at times but someone to help you when needed is priceless.

Thanks for the info clondike! I will start wearing mine when I detect alone. My boys (9yrs and 7yrs) have been going with me and I can't loose my hearing with them around. My seven year old would probably be in some mischief if I didn't listen for, and watch him. :jump:

By the way, I found my first coin of any consequence tonight. I found a 1950 wheat about 8 inches deep. I had read that you should thoroughly check a hole, and low and behold I pull out two more lincolns, although not wheats. They were old though, 1967 and 1960.
I also found an old red diecast jeep with the nail type axles. I was running in coin mode and dug a few trash signals too. Pulled up a hot rock of some kind, and dug a pulltab, aluminum window piece (?) and various other ghost and junk signals. I am learning though. Wish me luck tomorrow!

Tom

Good luck Tom! Nice that you're out digging. I'll be back to digging out the driveway blaaaaaaaaa.

Judy,
Thats why I had kids. Hopefully if they get a little older, I can have them do that stuff and I can lead a life of leisure. :wiggle:
Just kidding...Seriously, though, work is overated if it isn't fun. Keep me posted on your finds. I have a lot to learn still, but I am having fun doing it.
Tom

hello!..judy!
that is agreat strategy!..best of luck!..also as forest gump once said!..detectoring is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna git!

j.t.