Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gonna do it!

whitetails4ever

OK all....I have decided to make my purchase!:laugh: I am planning on purchasing a Prism V from a local dealer. (I need all the advice/help I can get). He wants $500 for this model and has let me demo one. It fits my price range, and seems to be a really good detector. I want to mainly do coin and jewelry hunting, so I hope I am putting all my eggs in the right basket. Please feel free to provide me with any/all advice you can. I would really like to hear from those who have used the Prism V and find out if they like it. Give me a shout, and educate me. I haven't spent the money yet!

Whitetails;First off, let me say that I am a dealer. Now,about the Prizm V. (I sell them also) The V is a good machine and your use is right up the middle of what that machine was designed for. I have tested the Prizm V in my Oregon soil and get very good depth. Actually I was surprised at the depth.7 and 8 inch pennies and Dimes came in loud and clear, hinting the iseven greater depth potentional. The Target ID is starting to get a little iffy at that depth but so are most other units in that price point. I like the light weight and large readout. Eight tone ID is fun once you get used to it. I like to cruise allong without looking at anything but the ground until the tone I am looking for comes out. Very restfull and no stress hunting.Smart notch worked well in the Campground I hunted.Now we get to why not. In a word, COILS. The type of hunting you do, it will be no time at all and you will be wanting a smaller coil for those tight and trashey places. The 8" coil works well but a 6" would be I think the best compromise between depth and target seperation.Whites has no plans to come out with a coil smaller than the 8" for the Prizm Line.If you have your heart set on the Prizm V there is certinally nothing wrong with that. If I were you though I would look real close at the M6. If you found the right dealer, and probibly your own local dealer would work with you, you may find with a reasonable Dealer Discount your price would be very not allot above the Prizm V. There are tons of coils for the DFX,MXT,and M6. Later on if you wanted to move up to one of the other machines, you would allready have the accessory coils . I hope I have't confused you with all this. Just trying to help. poorman

Pay a bit more and get the M6.You won't be sorry. I have the M6 with the 4x6 and 6x10 Eclipse coils. It's a great machine for the price.

I would go with an M6 for all the reasons below and mostly because of the coil selections available on the M6.The target reset recovery speed is very quick on the M6 and combined with a small coil is great at trashy sites not sure about the Prizm.Good Luck HH Bill

My friend has a prism, I would go with the M6, good luck. You should almost be in same price range. Maybe a few more bucks shop around.

Okay, I know I am jumping off another direction here, but today I got a bonus at work. :clapping: I have been in negotiations with my wife and decided that we :lol: could maybe afford the Whites E series XLT! I am so stoked that I can't sleep tonight. I am going to try to bargain a bit with my local dealer, but should be able to purchase tomorrow!

Since I have gone off another direction, what do you all think of this detector? I figure you get what you pay for. I have heard great things about this one, but I still want to proceed carefully.

:clapping:The XLT is a great detector and will serve you very well. In my openion though the M6 is just as good(unless you really get a kick out of Tweeking) I believe the M6 is somewhat deeper in like ground and simpler to learn. Don't get in a hurry to buy. Try them both if you can. Sounds like you can only do this once, so let's do it right...Good luck

my brother has one,and even though you can adjust the world with it,as he got used to it,he thought it generally is a big "pain in the a**"..he usually winds up adjusting the hell out of it for existing conditions,never does get it right but spends MOST of his hunt time trying to!..honestly,by the time he gets through f****** around i have already found half the stuff on site with my xl pro!..do yourself a favor!..find a good lightly used xl pro instead,that has the same depth or better and never look back!..you WILL thank me!

regards!
j.t.

Show him the cash, tell him you you will be ready to buy soon, when you can afford an extra coil, a smaller one unless he can throw one in, a good one, then wave the cash again. Well maybe not wave it but let him know you have it on you. Worth a try.

I never felt that way about the XLT. As matter of fact there really aren't that many changes you HAVE to make to an XLT based on the excellent Relic program slightly adjusted to your specific conditions and the proper coil selection.Takes me about 30 seconds to make changes to my setpoints if needed and can add Tone ID and rarely look at the meter.Your brother may have made too many errant changes and doesn't understand what he's doing. NO Way the XLT is that Bad and it ain't all about depth. I HAD a 6000 Di Pro Sl.

No problem with giving an opinion, but to bash the XLT like it's a piece of crap is uninformed at best, especially when comparing to an almost identical performing detector.If you left out the attempt at explitives you may have made a better point. The XLT is an excellent detector as is the Xl Pro.To each their own. Bill

Thanks for the good advice guys! It sounds like it is a good machine with lots of bells and whistles. Although, not all of you praise it, I think that is what makes the world go around. I appreciate both positive and negative feedback.

I have been looking and waiting and reading etc.....for a long time. After just about driving myself crazy, :rage: I finally broke down tonight and bought an XLT from my local dealer! :beers: I hope I ended up making the right choice. I feel sometimes making a choice is better than waiting for something that doesn't materialize. I feel that I had to just go and take the plunge. I just hope I don't have any regrets, but I guess experience will be my best teacher.

I think I got a pretty sweet deal. (I hope). I bought the XLT detector and he threw in a Bullseye II hand probe, nylon detector bag, and headphones. I checked out Kellyco online and by the time I read the small print and added up detector, accessories and shipping, I was just about as well to order it locally. The guy that sold it to me said he would go detecting with me anytime. He is a cool old guy and I think I will take him up on it. So far, I had a good experience.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. I hope I get to take it out for a spin tomorrow night! :twodetecting:

Tom
whitetails4ever

TAKE YOUR TIME TO LEARN THE DETECTOR AND THE DEEEEEEPER IT WILL GO.
Get a GOOD set of headphones for your detector.
That is a must for old coins AND GOLD.

I got a pair of headphones with this detector. They are stereo/mono headphones with adjustments for volume on both earpieces and an "L shaped" connector. They don't seem like the cheapest ones a person could get, but also don't seem to be super nice either. Do you think these are aqdequate? Should I think of purchasing better ones? If so, what brand/ model do you recommend?
Thanks again.
Tom

you are correct in your assesment!,however my brother never stopped fiddling with his,and yes!..that IS his problem,not the detector's!..i am merely pointing out that if you really do NOT have a need for adjusting a detector all the time when you are in the field,THEN the xl pro which has very similar performance would be the better choice!..in my view!..on a personal note,i used his xlt,and honestly was NOT convinced that the xlt,(with all the adjustments available).offered ANY REAL performance advantage over my xl pro!

j.t

Hi j.t

I do agree with you about fiddling and making too many changes and the XLT provides all the necessary ingredients to render the detector basically useless without a reasonable understanding as to the cause and effect of the facet changes.
The XLT, XL Pro preference seems similar to the Sovereign, Explorer debate for the Minelabs. Some folks prefer all the adjustment flexibility and ID dissemination they can get and some prefer the simplicity of adjusting a few knobs and listen for the beeps.Nothing wrong with either if thats what you like. I have an M6 and love it.

They are both excellent detectors and wish and your brother the best. Good Luck on your hunts. HH Bill

hi!..bill!
again i agree with what you say!..let's face it,the xlt has been around since christ was in the third grade,and being totally honest is probably one of the best selling detectors of all time!..as you stated,it is NOT for those who just want to turn it on and detect!..although it's design DOES permit that!.in the correct hands of an experienced user who undertsands the advantages of tweaking it for on site conditions,it can be a formidable tool,especially in light of the fact that there are many devoted users who have done so well with it!

regards!
j.t.