Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ghost Handprints.................

Kelley (Texas)

I hear tell that this is a true story that happened in San Antonio, Texas many, many years ago. Many folks avoid this area at night...too spooky! Kelley (Texas) :)

Ghost Handprints
retold by
S. E. Schlosser

My wife Jill and I were driving home from a friend's party late one evening in early May. It was a beautiful night with a full moon. We were laughing and discussing the party when the engine started to cough and the emergency light went on. We had just reached the railroad crossing where Villamain Road becomes Shane Road. According to local legend, this was the place where a school bus full of children had stalled on the tracks. Everyone on board the bus had been killed by an oncoming freight train. The ghosts of the children were reported to haunt this intersection and were said to protect people from danger.

Not wanting a repeat of the train crash, I hit the gas pedal, trying to get our car safely across the tracks before it broke down completely. But the dad-blamed car wouldn't cooperate. It stalled dead center on the railroad tracks.

As if that weren't enough, the railroad signals started flashing and a bright light appeared a little ways down the track, bearing down fast on our car. I turned the key and hit the gas pedal, trying to get the car started.

"Hurry up, Jim! The train's coming," my wife urged, as if I didn't hear the whistling blowing a warning.

I broke out into a sweat and tried the engine again. Nothing.

"We have to get out!" I shouted to my wife, reaching for the door handle.

"I can't," Jill shouted desperately. She was struggling with her seat belt. We'd been having trouble with it recently. She'd been stuck more than once, and I'd had to help her get it undone.

I threw myself across the stick-shift and fought with the recalcitrant seat belt. My hands were shaking and sweat poured down my body as I felt the rumble of the approaching train. It had seen us and was whistling sharply. I risked a quick glance over my shoulder. The engineer was trying to slow down, but he was too close to stop before he hit us. I redoubled my efforts.

Suddenly, the car was given a sharp shove from behind. Jill and I both gasped and I fell into her lap as the car started to roll forward, slowly at first, then gaining speed. The back end cleared the tracks just a second before the train roared passed. As the car rolled to a stop on the far side of the tracks, the engineer stuck his head out the window of the engine and waved a fist at us; doubtless shouting something nasty at us for scaring him.

"Th..that was close," Jill gasped as I struggled upright. "How did you get the car moving?"

"I didn't," I said. "Someone must have helped us."

I jumped out of the door on the driver's side of the car and ran back to the tracks to thank our rescuer. In the bright moonlight, I searched the area, looking for the person who had pushed our car out of the path of the train. There was no one there. I called out several times, but no one answered. After a few minutes struggle with her seatbelt, Jill finally freed herself and joined me.

"Where is he?" she asked.

"There is no one here," I replied, puzzled.

"Maybe he is just shy about being thanked," Jill said. She raised her voice. "Thank you, whoever you are," she called.

The wind picked up a little, swirling around us, patting our hair and our shoulders like the soft touch of a child's hand. I shivered and hugged my wife tightly to me. We had almost died tonight, and I was grateful to be alive.

"Yes, thank you," I repeated loudly to our mystery rescuer.

As we turned back to our stalled vehicle, I pulled out my cell phone, ready to call for a tow truck. Beside me, Jill stopped suddenly, staring at the back of our car.

"Jim, look!" she gasped.

I stared at our vehicle. Scattered in several places across the back of our car were several glowing handprints. They were small handprints; the kind that adorned the walls of elementary schools all over the country. I started shaking as I realized the truth; our car had been pushed off the tracks by the ghosts of the schoolchildren killed at this location.

The wind swept around us again, and I thought I heard an echo of childish voices whispering 'You're welcome' as it patted our shoulders and arms. Then the wind died down and the handprints faded from the back of the car.

Jill and I clung together for a moment in terror and delight. Finally, I released her and she got into the car while I called the local garage to come and give us a tow home.

Wow Kelly, that was one of those truly goose-bump raising stories. I looked behind me at the end in case I was about to be jettisoned out of my chair.
Sheila.

I found this story in a book containing lots of ghost stories and posted it because it has been told around South Texas for as long as I can remember. There was another good ghost story in that book that told about some ghost that live in the Alamo, but it was too long to post on this Forum. There is no way for me to know if there is such a thing as a ghost as per se...I have never actually seen one, but I have on a few occasions felt something strange at a few lonely areas while riding out in the brush country, usually at or near a grave site or old home site. I have never actually seen a ghost and the strange feelings could have been the workings of my imagination...all that I know is that I felt something strange and got out of the areas as fast as possible. I saw no purpose in tempting fate...let someone else mess with the unknown and get the credit for seeing a ghost if there is such a thing. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

when i hear a story like this, if imagination plays a part? A good reading story but a bit beyond my belief system:biggrin:

There are a lot of odd things that happen that I sure can not explain though

I've only had one experience with whats considered to be a ghost. I never said anything to anyone, until on the 200 year of our country they sent out a local paper telling about things that happened in the past here in North Windham. One of those stories was about a ghost here in town. Guess what, she was in that window they spoke of, did what she had done in the past. My only thought was well, I'm not completely whacked out. When ever I go by there, which is pretty often, I look in the window but have never saw her again. I did finally tell my wife about it when I read the article and she will mention when we drive by, I see your checking out that window again. Got to you didn't it. Yupe..

George-CT

Did she look like a ghost, the way you always see one in the movies? How close did you get to her? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

I was working a job that ran 12 hours and I had the 6:00 PM to 6:00AM shift. I forget why I left early but as I was getting close to home it was still dark. At the 4 way intersection I had stopped and directly across from me is the Windham Inn. It used to be a stagecoach stop way back when. I've often wanted to detect that area but never have asked yet for permission.

As I was stopped, I happenedd to be looking up towards the roof line where in the attic there are 3 dorm type windows. In all the years I've came past there I never saw a light on in any of them and still have not till this day.

All of a sudden a women appeared in the window. Dress like they did way back in the 1700's only she was all white. with somewhat of a glowing haze around her. Very clear, full size. She was moving her arms as if to be calling me towards her. This went on I' guessing for 30 seconds. It startled me and i pulled to the side of the road and looked back. She was still there but no longer calling and slowly just faded away. I never said anything to anyone. Thinking I need to get off these 12 hour night shifts, get more sleep. but it stuck with me. I still check that window when ever I go by but have never saw this again. Years later they sent out a local paper with all the old stuff that used to be here, I still have that and it showed how it used to be here and a article on the White Lady was there.
It sure described what I saw that night only in the attic. I then told my wife about it being that now there were other people who were as nuts as I thought I was. We nutty people like company.... Here is a little story on it that was in the New York times...

I will look for the story I read on her in our local paper. I saved it as there were lots of pictures of old horse trotter tracks, canoe clubs with steam boats on the water, all the greens around here way back then only with horse and carriages on them. Most still look just like they did then and I've done well detecting them.

George-CT

''I'm interested in the stories, in the way people tell them and in the reasons why ghosts do their haunting,'' Mr. Philips said. ''Usually there's a historical reason that makes them want to remain here.'' He is particularly intrigued by the tale of the White Lady of the Windham Inn, a tale that is part of local tradition and seems based on a historical event.

The Windham Inn is an 18th-century building at a crossroad. Once it was a stagecoach stop; around 1960 it was converted to an apartment house. Mr. Philips said that for years the apartment tenants have reported a ghost in the house. They named her Betty, tell of sometimes seeing her in white clothing and say she appears to be looking for something, Mr. Philips said.

He said other area residents have reported seeing a mysterious figure on a nearby road who is also wearing white and searching for something. Apartment tenants have told Mr. Philips the tale of a woman named Betty who worked as a scullery maid nin the old inn. Legend has it that she became pregnant, gave birth in the attic and left the infant there. Within a few days, its body was discovered, and Betty was found to be responsible. She was tried and hanged, the story goes.

Mr. Philips noted that the tale resembles the historical account of Elizabeth Shaw, a young woman who bore a child out of wedlock in the local woods in September 1745, and was hanged nearby after the birth was discovered. The road that leads from the inn past the field where the gallows apparently stood is the road where people spot the mysterious figure - who, like the ghost in the inn, is thought to be looking for her dead child.

'' 'The White Lady' will be the lead story in my book,'' said Mr. Philips, who especially likes the account by a tenant in one of the inn's apartments, who said she came home one September day recently to find that her locked apartment had been visited by someone who threw her children's pictures on the floor and tore the September page off the calendar.

This is a perfect way to see a ghost...from a distance and safely in the car where it can not do anything to you. Were you tempted to get out of the car and walk up to the front of the inn to see what she wanted? In a way, I would like to see a ghost, but not too close to it. Thanks for telling the story, enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

many folks over the years have reported strange things like this at that location in San Antonio, Texas. I guess that the only way of knowing if the story is true or not would be to drive out to that location late one night and park my truck on the railroad tracks and see what happens. This will never happen because I do not want to risk my pickup truck being wrecked by a train if the story is not true...maybe we could borrow Sunny's car to test for ghost activity at that location. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I wonder why this word was used in the story? It could be that they wanted to use a few big words to impress folks...who knows. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It is a double sided sword....it is hard to believe in the existence of a ghost if you have never seen one. I would like to see one, but a friendly one that will not do me any harm. Also, like you and many others, I have had some strange experiences that I can not explain. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

even sure at the time I was believing what I had seen. Then it faded away. I sat there for a few minutes looking up there. Finally came to grips with, Yupe I saw it. Don't know what it was but I saw it. And until I read that article I still was a skeptic. Your right Kelly, I was at the right distance.

George

Then if a child ghost pushes the car off the railroad tracks, they will leave small hand prints. Afterwards, it should not take Sunny too long to clean her car. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl: