Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fresh Water Mode POLL

Mike K (Ohio)

[size=medium][size=large]Most of us all live in different states and some people don't want to share any info in fear of maybe someone local to them getting an edge. I was wondering if the users of this forum wouldn't mind just replying with what Mode They like to hunt with in Fresh Water Not Salt water. And if they want to add other info about the size of gold or silver or plat they find with it. Could be very helpful to lots of new users like myself for starters :)[/size][/size]

I'm liking the Field 1. Go slow, pick targets by "size" great with stud earrings, earring backs, very small bits and pieces. Grabs the bigger stuff also. But any detector can get the big things in fresh water and when they are "gone" I get amused by what slips through a normal water scoop. Oh yes, it also will get the bigger objects such as rings and bracelets.

A lot of the post are a wast. Because not knowing where they are at doesn't help anyone. I live in south west Michigan. And that helps some and if someone know that info it will not infringe on my hunting because that info is only a general information. I once read a post that was really interesting and only one word in it caught my eye.. it was somewhere in Europe or Australia. I have found some good hunting friends that were in my ares. It wouldn’t hurt if everyone just puts the basics in there profile.

Doug

Thank You For Taking The Time to just go with the poll!!! I ordered a new scoop for that very reason! I tried Beach 2 today and it seemed ok got me a small silver ring which I'm cleaning up now as it was black black! Been there a while.

Beach 2 wouldn’t be my choice. It’s using reduced power, a salt setting, and single frequency can be best.....also look carefully at the algorithms in beach not as good for small gold.

dewcon4414 said:
Beach 2 wouldn’t be my choice. It’s using reduced power, a salt setting, and single frequency can be best.....also look carefully at the algorithms in beach not as good for small gold.

[size=large]Thanks what would be your choice if I may ask?

I was reading the manual and it says for beach 2 "Beach 2 Multi- IQ processes a very low weighted multi-frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground balancing for salt." I also emailed Gray Drayton this morning from Curse of Oak Island as he has tons of hours behind this machine and this was his email "You can try any search mode and you may be able to get away with Beach 1 but even in fresh water I would use Beach 2. Cheers and good luck Gary" So I'm just trying to shorten the learning curve for me and possibly others if they are fresh water hunting. By learning through others and I thought that what this forum was all about. Saying finds and sharing helpful information to other users[/size]

The question was "...what Mode They like to hunt with in Fresh Water Not Salt water."
The answer I gave was for the move I liked to hunt in. I have tried others and for fresh water here on Cape Cod, it is Field 1.
The fresh water ponds around here are clean and this year I am going for the ultra small signals I.e. stud earrings etc. if nothing else just to keep me finding something. Of course I will pick up all the bigger targets also. I do tweak other parameters when and if I think they need to be touched. I would not use either of the Beach modes, but yes they would also pick up the recently dropped goodies as well and they do not get the smaller items I am "wasting" my time with. I have had many glory days in the past 37 years of detecting and today sure is nothing like it was back in the 1980s. Detecting is still my hobby and I am changing with the times. There is no one detector, setting, scoop, headphones the will or can satisfy everyone. Try what others may do and adjust to your situation / environment.

My go to freshwater mode is Park 2 .I do not have to change anything, good on small gold discimanton is where I like it just baley knocking out bobby-pins..The main advantage the NOX has over the CTX and the Xcal is it's ability to find thin gold chains but if you raise the discimanton above about 1 or 2,you quickly lose that advantage.

ringading said:
My go to freshwater mode is Park 2 .I do not have to change anything, good on small gold discimanton is where I like it just baley knocking out bobby-pins..The main advantage the NOX has over the CTX and the Xcal is it's ability to find thin gold chains but if you raise the discimanton above about 1 or 2,you quickly lose that advantage.

Thank You! I've read other posts but wasn't smart enough to mark them but it was suggested to use Park or Field 2. Park 2 was suppose to be hot on small gold... But what do I know I'm Day 2 with the NOX lol... Thanks :)

The Minelab Equinox manual recommends Park 1 and Park 2 for freshwater beach hunting. It really does, no joking.

Jeff

I didn't see too many pictures of the gold chains found with Nox. I've invested a lot of hours in searching, but haven't found one yet. In the same places, my friend and Deus had found more.

ringading said:

jmaclen said:
The Minelab Equinox manual recommends Park 1 and Park 2 for freshwater beach hunting. It really does, no joking.

Jeff

Like you said it really does. I read the manual once but now this proves I need to read it again..... Here is a clip from the manual. "Park Mode is a good starting point for other general uses, such as freshwater detecting" Thanks for opening up my eyes Jeff!!!!!

[size=large]Well between me and my 1 hunting buddy we have about 45 pieces of Gold & Plat and we did some air tests and weighted every piece. The last 3 14k gold bracelets I found ring up a solid #1 not sure why but I just figure it's has something to do with it not being 1 solid piece of gold. Not to mention our collection ranges from 10k to 22k and the numbers are all over the board. So you had not better be watching the numbers to closely or you might walk right by gold. That little trick I learned about telling if its a bottle cap or not really works. But doesn't not work on pull tabs or gold rings lol.[/size]

timmysys said:
I didn't see too many pictures of the gold chains found with Nox. I've invested a lot of hours in searching, but haven't found one yet. In the same places, my friend and Deus had found more.

ringading said:

Clive in his Equinox Series "From Beginner to Advance" uses a modified Field 2 program called his "Gold Sifter". - Great book, lots of info.
Go figure, everyone has something that works for them, but will not work for all.

WaterWalker said:
Clive in his Equinox Series "From Beginner to Advance" uses a modified Field 2 program called his "Gold Sifter". - Great book, lots of info.
Go figure, everyone has something that works for them, but will not work for all.

I ordered a few of his books just waiting on them to get here.... Thanks :)

I use Beach 2, Did not have any trouble in lake finding gold chain, I scoop what I hear not what the screen says PS 18k gold chain

don tyler said:
I use Beach 2, Did not have any trouble in lake finding gold chain, I scoop what I hear not what the screen says PS 18k gold chain

Did you modify the settings any? Well looks like you have some rich people that frequent that fresh water beach lol. Very nice finds!!! Were the rings junk or good items?

Mike

Small gold with dia. 14k Second ring White Gold dia 18K last one Tungston.. The one to the right has czs 10 kt Part of detecting is knowing your areas to hunt , take your time and dig those iffy signals most ignore

don tyler said:
Small gold with dia. 14k Second ring White Gold dia 18K last one Tungston.. The one to the right has czs 10 kt Part of detecting is knowing your areas to hunt , take your time and dig those iffy signals most ignore

Well I guess your calling signals that are not 2 way repeatable and maybe break up when passing your coil over them? I was told by an awesome land hunter that a metal detector just lets you know man was here. So its up to you if you dig or not... Lol