Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found this in Germany

Just a couple of points.Glass was extremely common in the middle ages.Even the romans used glass windows in their buildings.Hollow glass vases were being made as far back as 1500bc.The rim of the ring was what may have held a small piece of glass in place....it would have been cut from a sheet and shaped to fit.Stained glass windows adorn most early medieval churches.....it was old technology by this period.I have seen rings similar to this with a piece of coloured glass covering the design.Whatever it turns out to be,it is a beautiful find and it's a priveledge to just see a picture of it.Well done.

NN

I will defer to your expertise if you have seen a similar ring with glass on it. I'm aware that glass working was going on during, and also much before, medieval times, but to my knowledge it was still pretty exclusive to the very affluent, i.e. the church. Obviously this incredible piece is religious and may fall into that category but, as I said, it looks to be "functional" in it's design. Once again I am no expert and I don't mean to come off that way. In my mind though, when I connect the dots my best guess is that it was used for wax seals or something similar. In any case I will agree with you 100% that it is the most unbelievable ring find I have seen in my short "career". Way to go Jolin, I can only imagine the feeling you got when you brought that piece out into the light of day for the first time in who knows how long. That's the reason we all do this and your find validates all of our hard work. Thanks for sharing it. As NN said, it's an honor to just be able to see such an incredible piece of real human history.
HH
Scott

Please do not defer to my expertise.....i'm no expert either......you may be right yourself.Just because i've seen something similar it does not mean this ring has to conform to that standard.Everybody who puts over a point on subjects like this is helping us all get a better understanding of what we are finding so all input is important.....this is what makes this forum one of the best there is.Your point of the rim framing the design is a good point also and one i would not have thought of myself.Lets hope we find out a bit more about this exciting find.Regards,Neil.

I agree Neil, I would love to be able to find out for Jolin ( and myself ) the story behind the ring. The only problem is every time I have a spare moment my detectors look at me sadly and... well... you know what I mean. Thanks for the discussion. I hope someone solves the mystery soon for all of us. HH
Scott

Like I said before I have no story behind the ring though I wish I did. I have emailed doctors,monastery's,Archaeologists and about 30 other people with all responding that they have no information or have never seen anything like this before. I really have no idea what to do now. I really enjoy everyones discussion on here I never thought how many people would view this post you all are excited about the ring I'm excited that 500+ people have viewed my post how cool is that. I hope people are still helping me look to find out anything about the ring the 20 dollar offer still stands it's not alot of money but might peak someones intrest to search a Little deeper I really appreciate the help and please keep me informed on any new information you all might find

Jolin376200

Hi Jolin,i have just sent the photos to a metal detecting buddy of mine and he will take them to our field liason officer on monday to see if she can help.As i said in an earlier post,if she does not know she probably knows somebody that will have some sort of idea.I will keep you updated.Regards,Neil.

I did a google search on St. Christopher. Here's some wikepedia on who he was, "General patronage

Christopher has always been a widely popular saint, being especially revered by athletes, mariners, ferrymen, and travelers.[7] He is revered as one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. He holds patronage of things related to travel and travelers: against lightning; against pestilence; archers; bachelors; boatmen; bookbinders; epilepsy; floods; fruit dealers; fullers; gardeners; for a holy death; mariners; market carriers; motorists and drivers; sailors; storms; surfers[8]; toothache; and transportation workers.
[edit] Patronage of places

Christopher is the patron saint of the many places, including: Baden, Germany[7]; Barga, Italy; Brunswick, Germany[7]; Mecklenburg, Germany[7]; Rab, Croatia; Roermond, The Netherlands; Saint Christopher's Island (Saint Kitts); Toses in Catalonia, Spain; Mondim de Basto, Portugal; Agrinion, Greece; Vilnius, Lithuania; Havana, Cuba; and Paete, Laguna, Philippines.".

Here's a link that shows that little alien looking fellow on another piece of jewelry with the same sun rays type coming from around his head, http://www.qualitysilver.co.uk/acatalog/silver-st-christopher-r2658-1.jpg

I read on another link that it was believed that whomever saw an image of St. Christopher would not die that day. Makes me want to get a ring with his picture on it.

Maybe try researching him a bit yourself and see what you can find.
I could only hope to find something like that myself someday, the find of a lifetime!! Congratulations!

lyelllfour, I believe the little alien looking fellow on your medal is St. Christopher and the man below him is the "traveler that he is protecting".

I find your post interesting as I am a bachelor, gardener, market carrying, fruit dealing, motorist. St. Chris has my back!!!

The sun rays symbolize Holiness and is found in images of saints and angels. The "monk" on the ring appears to be viewing the angel/saint as if he is receiving a message from it.

Good work you guys,
Jolin, the "patron saint" on the ring appears to be squatting or at least bending his knees for some reason. Significant ? One thing I was thinking of though, I can't see details too clearly in the photo but what exactly is he doing, or what is in, the monk's hands. The figures are apparently interacting so if you can see anymore details as far as that it may shed some light in what the ring is illustrating and thus may shed some light on it's use or purpose, if any. The "saint" appears to either be welcoming the monk or about to receive something from him. Just some thoughts. That ring is fascinating and I'm dying for you and the rest of us to solve the mystery. Good luck.
Scott

Read more on St. Christopher, come to find out, that little fellow in the picture that I posted, was a young Christ. I guess St. Christopher helped a young Christ across a river. Thats why the little "alien" looking guy is on his shoulders in the picture I posted and in many others that I found on google. SO, I guess that probably isn't St. Christopher in your ring. Anyway, can't wait until you find the true meaning of your ring. I will look some more as I'm curious myself. Good luck with your quest! Jay

The child in the picture is possibly a 'Holy Child', Jesus Maybe???

More,
The 'Daisy' around the childs head symbolizes the innocence of Holy child. http://www.gocek.org/christiansymbols/images/daisy.gif
You can find the symbol on this website. http://www.gocek.org/christiansymbols/?search=

Just a thought, Since the ring looks like its hand carved, do you think it could be a self portrait of the person that lost the ring possibly praying or offering something to the Holy Child?????? again, just a thought!

I wonder if this ring depicts MARTIN LUTHER preaching from a bible to the devil?
Luther was tormented by demons and evil spirits and devil like visions from a very early age.

The priest/monk is holding an open book

The small critter appears to be too well developed to be a child and is quite muscular and is naked; The devil is often depicted naked. He seems to be holding something in the left hand as if presenting it to the priest/monk. (you need to enlarge the picture to see this more clearly) The sun ray type aura was often depicted around the head of any person or thing thought to posess unusual power or knowlege.and was not confined to goody two shoes angels.

I think Martin Luther and the devil is a pretty fair bet for this ring but who owned it is another story.

That thought also crossed my mind Adrian. Sure would be nice if we could find out another fact or two about the ring.

The figure on the right appears to be holding a book in his left hand, against his body. The figure on the left appears to have its arms out toward the "monk".

Martin Luther was German and was a monk.

If the event was famous enough to make a ring of it, I wonder if we could find a statue or painting of the event?

Nice find Jolin,.
My first thought is, take it to a Priest. He should know something about it. If not he can put you in touch with a Church historian who maybe able to shed so light on the ring. He maybe able to tell you who's seal and what order it came from.
C

Does this ring have hinged cap/lid? or top cap that can be removed?
There appears to be a pin of some sort protruding from the outside bottom left and just below the upper rim of the ring in the left side photo.
I found a ring whith hinged lid with a space undeneath for hiding drugs and such things. This ring is about 200years old.
I feel that The ring depicted in this topic is very much older than that.

I just emailed Whites and they sent me a message letting me know that my Ring and story will be posted on there website in the stories section in the month of April how cool is that. Now maybe we will find out something about the ring I continue to look every day with no look has anyone found anything out that they would like to share?

The ring which was lost, then found, is of the Saint, known as the "protector of lost things". As a boy, Mom always told me to pray to St. Anthony, when I was having trouble finding something that I was looking for.

That would make him the patron Saint of treasure hunters, wouldn't it. He was known for his clear speaking voice and incredible memory.

I cannot accept the notion that the little critter on this ring is the infant Jesus.
The baby Jesus is almost invariably depicted as being rather cute and cuddly and generally wrapped in robes or clothing of some kind while being held in someones arms. I have seen him depicted as somewhat chubby and naked
However, naked, muscular and somewhat nasty looking while hanging in free space is contrary to every likness of JC that I have ever seen.

Adrian, an apparition could hang in the air. Also this ring could be a couple hundred years old.

It looks to me like the little feller, is standing on some rocks.