Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Detector

harryape

I am not completely new to metal detecting but have never owned one. There are so many choices out there and I hope to get a few recommendations on what I should consider in the way of a metal detector that meets my needs.

Firstly I will be coin and jewelry hunting on vacant homesites, playgrounds, Parks and the beach at Lake Tahoe. I live in N. California. I would like a detector that has a digital display, descrimination and sensitivity adjustments, ID. pinpoint accuracy and a headphone jack. Lastly I would like to keep the price under $250.

I have been considering the Bounty Hunter series, the Titan and MD series through Kellyco, the Garrett Ace 250, the Fisher F2 and F4, Tesoro Silver Umax, and the minelab X-terra 30. I know this is a long list but it took me a few days just to filter out all of the other detectors.

I might have thrown out a detector that might actually be better for me, so thats why I have posted this question on this Forum.

I do not intend to start a match between the owners of the many different brands of metal detector. I know some readers will take it as mine is better than yours. However, I just want to know which detector you would recommend so that I can take a closer look and then purchase the right detector for me. You have the experience and can save me from the pitfalls and disappointment of purchasing a detector I will not be happy with.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Alvin

I have a similar question, but am willing to spend up to $700 for a good one. I'm tired of my Bounty Hunter Quick draw-I tested it in my garden and it couldn't go much past 4 inches, and the discrimination was poor-it said pennies and nickels were iron/foil!

hi harryape, a lot of people are checking out the compadre by tesoro, the ace 250 by garrett, and the f2 by fisher. theyr'e all good machines and cost less than 250 bucks each. short learning curve, light, easy on the account, and all find the good stuff. hh,

For TID machines under $250 would be the Ace 250 or F2. The F4 and Xterra 30 are over your budget. I would lean toward the 250.

i have the BH lone star and i just bought the f2 a couple of weeks ago, i like them both and in my short time coin shooting have done pretty well with both. i mostly spend my time in the hills metal detecting for gold but i thought id buy a couple of cheaper machines to do some coin shooting while i wait for the snow to melt in the mountains. so I'm new to this coin shooting thing but it sure is fun. like i said i like both but the f2 seems to do better i like the pin pointer on it and its soooo easy to use and comes with an extra coil what a deal.

If you would consider a unit without a digital display and buy a used unit.A Fisher 1265X or a used 1236X would be effective metal detector's that you won't grow out of in a season.

I started out with the Ace 250. It is a great little detector for finding coins, relics and rings. Priced at about $212.00 and shipped free from several sources, it's the best bang for the buck. I got to enjoy coin shooting so much that I upgraded to a Minelab X-Terra 70. Buying a lower priced detector is the way to go when starting out. If you find that you really enjoy detecting and want to upgrade later, the lower priced detector is still great to have a a back up or to introduce a friend or family member to detecting. If you find that you don't enjoy the hobby or just never get to the point that you want a detector with more features, your not out a lot of money. Many people start out with an expensive detector that has a steep learning curve, get frustrated with it because they don't understand it and it ends up collecting dust in the closet.

Welcome to the detecting hobby !!!

Good hunting, John K

Thank you all so much for your feedback!

I have narrowed it down to three detectors. The Garrett ACE 250, the Fisher F2 and the Tesoro Compadre.
My main concern at this point is, which one will best enable me to search better in mineralized soil?

I look forward to your comments.

Alvin

Ace 250, Turn it on and go. I just started last month and look at some of the stuff I found.

Anyone know where to purchase the Garret Ace 250, the Tesoro Silver uMax and the Fisher F2 at the best price and service? Do you recommend any other tolls or accessories to get started?
Thanks.

Buy from one of the dealers that sponsor the forum, you will get the best deal from them. You'll need a good set of headphones and a good digging tool for starters.

Hay Alvin,

You said

My main concern at this point is, which one will best enable me to search better in mineralized soil?

Few people realize the capabilities of the Compadre.

Monte is a master detectoris. He is well respected on this forum and almost anywhere in the metal detecting community.
He has reviewed detectors and written articles and posts on forums. Ask anyone about his qualifications. We can all learn
from Monte.

Here are some comments about challenging ground conditions. See how the Compadre measures up.

[Monte Quote]
Examples of 'Bad Ground' challenges I try to prepare and test for:

From late August thru Late October I was working on a personal project to evaluate a number of makes and models in a variety of hunting applications. While I used models from Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, and White's, I mainly used some Tesoro's of today and some I have enjoyed using in the past. Part of the purpose was to refresh my memory of how some old favorites might perform, consider newer offerings, and compare them with what I currently use the most and determine what light-weight model I might want to add to my personal arsenal. I bought and sold several detectors to reach the end of my project, and used some provided by dealers and friends.

I have ample nails, believe me, and I have a bolt and nut as described above which I use. I also have several local sites that are involved in my field evaluations here in the Portland, Oregon area because they are quite mineralized and present a serious challenge to many detector models. These sites include the following:

Good advice. I will have to try it once I purchase a detector. Still trying to decide between the Garret Ace 250, Tesoro Silver and the Fisher F2.

From your comments, I wonder how the Fisher and Garrett or even the Tesoro Silver stacked up in this method of testing.

I want to thank everyone for your insight into the world of metal detecting. With your help I have narrowed my choice down to the Tesoro Vaquero. It's only $80 more than the Cibola and can be used for prospecting. It looks like I will have to pay $420 as they don't seem to be discounted. Before I place my order, is there any other place I can purchase the Vaquero for less than $420? Also, what do I need in the way of headphones?

Thank you,
Alvin

I just found another source for detectors which puts the Fisher F5 and Minelab X-Terra 30 in the same price league as the Tesoro vequero. Any comments on the Fisher and Minelab compared to the Tesoro Vequero?

Thanks.

I need information on where to purchase a detector. I just read an interesting article from a supposedly fair and reputable dealer who has a collection of letters from unhappy customers about their horror stories of purchases from other online dealers. He calls his column "Horrors and Hype"

My uncle recommended Kellyco but I see their name mention many times from unhappy customers. I was considering a purchase there but I'm not so sure any more. (I was going to purchase the Tesoro Vaquero but then found the Fisher F5 for $399. I placed my pre-Order with Kellyco. To be billed when in stock.)

Any Ideas are appreciated. Geez, I thought deciding on a metal detector was the hard part!![/b