Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fiasco at Copper Island

n/t

does not exsist anywhere on the planet now days.

The guy that owned the dive shop I learned to dive from got all the wood for his northern home from the bottom of the lake it was on.

He worked a deal with a local saw mill that he would bring it up and they would saw it up for him for half the wood. They found that only the logs below the theromcline were worth getting as they were as good as the day they sank. The ones above the thermocline looked as good but were very brittle when dried.

Some people collect the ends of the logs in Michigan lakes and make wall hangings out of them. The loggers had their own brand on them and when they were floated to the mill these brand identified the owner and they were paid accordanly for them,

Interesting on the bottom of some of those lakes

I have always been told that the older wood had a tighter grain than the new wood that is available in this modern age...tighter grain wood is stronger wood. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Let's just say that I am expecting to dive with low-vis situations being the norm, and have thought a bunch about how to stay oriented in, say 25'.

I thought about taking nails and pushing them in to the lake bed, through a long piece of plastic tape, like is used to mark trees; then going about 15-20 feet, stretch the tape and push another nail. But I dismissed it because I would be losing much time moving the tape.

Finally I thought that I'd just take a long piece of open-ended white 3/4" X 12' pvc down with me, hunt maybe two passes to either side of it and move it, to do all over again. This seems to be more workable, but there's got to be a better way, other than staring at your compass all the time!!

You guys got any suggestions??????

aj

Every situation is different but most of the places with poor vis is because of my fanning the bottom to find the target.

I usually am working the dropoff, which is where the old swimming platforms are and I just go to the bottom of the drop, which is usually 35 ft or so in our lakes. It always vary s and every situation is different. I make a pass in one direction and if the targets are running out I move up a little and go the other direction, reach where they are thinning out and move up a foot or so, maybe more depending on the bottom and the finds and head back.

That way you are always in fairly clear water. Few bottoms don't have logs or patches of weeds, something on bottom for reference. I have never worried about getting everything on one dive so I really never worried about working a grid or anything like that. My hands have always been full enough with the detector and goodie bag, I sure never needed anything more.

I bet I have had 4 or 5 hundred detecting dives and this always worked for me. The only places that I really had any problems with finding my way around is in weed beds and I always try to avoid them. It is tough swinging a detector in 20 ft of water in a weed bed. Very few swimming platforms are in weeds anyway. I do know of a few beaches that the dang diving board is right over six ft or more of weeds and I will tell you something. I found goodies in it but it was too much work and there is still lots there. There are too many easy places to find treasure diving.

the denseness of the grain is usually Dependant on the growing patterns of the trees, faster growth the wider the bands.

In the old growth forest the pattern might be closer together because of a lack of sun, less sun and less growth, tighter ring pattern.

I have heard that they are getting some incredible old birds eye maple and very rare woods that is usually made into veneer/

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3677_3703-10897--,00.html

http://www.greatlakesveneer.com/products/processes.htm

http://www.divermag.com/archives/sept97/around_lks_sept97.html

When you fan, you lower the vis anyway.... trying to follow a 'set pattern' is almost impossible at the best of times; when you roil the bottom up, you can pretty much erase any straight line.

Just try to find old diving towers, wharfs, pier and swimming areas. Then work them;, If you overlap, no problem. Sometime you find things in one direction that you missed in the other direction.

Calm seas

Mikie

I just wander and check the raft area, the area between the beach and the raft when they swim out to it. I check under the docks and anywhere people play. I also work my way out to the marker bouys where people swim and hang onto them to rest.

If I hit a productive area I just hammer it. Sometimes I will pop to the surface to line it up on something on shore so I will have an idea where it is because you can sure get lost!

n/t

Just the thought scares me. Wished I had your jam. When I speak of wanting to dive, I'm talkin' 20 to 30 feet MAX ! What a life guys like you have and still are living. Much admiration here and great story ! :cheers:

n/t

Especially in those clear, warm, Caribbean waters!!But I will admit, there is very little reason to go that deep. Most of my best finds have been 30 feet and shallower. 128 feet was the depth of the water where these people dove off the board..

Heck, the Anscomb started at 180 and went down to 240. That was a comparatively easy dive on trimix and clear water.

Calm seas

Mikie

n/t

Did you ever share the one about the time you got "gaffed" near a dock on Vancouver Island? :thumbup:

n/t

n/t

n/t

Murky waters can take the fun out of it for sure. Along the coastline here its like that in the summer time. Winter it is nice and clear but you need pretty thick wet suits to stay comfortable or even a dry suit over one. Are those tide waters there salt water or brackish or fresh? I miss the diving but not much I can do about it. Fun to relive some of it thru your stories.

George-CT

n/t

But as you say, low to no vis makes a dive very uncomfortable and unenjoyable. Unless you are finding lotsa goodies! :):

fair winds

Mikie