Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Feeling 'Self Concious' ?

Danno

Guys,

I have been detecting for a few years and am pretty thick skinned, but lately I have noticed people (especially groups of youths) don't seem to 'Get' our hobby.

Got jeered at last weekend and called a **** scab yesterday.

Does anyone else ever get negative comments from the 'crowd' ?

Starting to feel a bit self concious on each outing these days.

Maybe I need a bigger more threating looking digging tool!

Danno:)

I will be honest with you. Especially today's youth. It used to bother me, but no more. Today's youth has grown up indoors for one thing. Video Games, Ipods, not "allowed" to play outside for fear of getting hurt or dirty, by overprotective parents. TV all the time. They have no imagination at all IMHO. I dunno I have a 19 year old and a 24 year old sons. Both think I am goofy as heck, I do not care. IMHO again I just hunt, Beale.

I have never had any nagative comments , but I only hunt private property. I live in the country and know alot of people . The one time I hunted in a park it was raining and I had a yellow rain jacket and green rain pants on. I got alot of weird looks that day , but I found tyhe lost ring I was looking for.

I've only been detecting about 8 months or so and have not had any issues. I've had many people ask "finding anything good". I read a book a while back where the author suggests that you don't tell anyone that asks "doing any good", what you've found. That's understandable for multiple reasons. I can think of an occasion just recently where I had just found a nice silver ring and two or three people asked me if I had found anything. I said "a bunch of pull tabs and some junk". Many times I'd really like to tell someone when I have a ring or 3 or 4 silver coins in my pocket but it makes sense why that's not always a good idea. On the flip side of that after telling them that I haven't done very good I kind of feel like some of these people may think that we're all out wasting our time and that's not helping other people get into the hobby. From one standpoint, that keeps others from possibly detecting in my area and from another standpoint I'd really like to see people enjoy this hobby.

I think part of being a good detectorist means that you have to have a little thicker skin than most people. Often times we're looked upon as those eccentric people that are doing something that people do not quite understand and it takes being a little bold to ask someone that you don't always know very well if you can detect on their property.

As far as today's youth goes, many have no idea how to communicate with adults let alone their peers. Quantity of communicating via text messaging will never replace the quality of face to face communication. It's sad that some of the younger generation have adopted this non emotional way of talking to each other as their main form of conversation. I will say that I've been lucky to witness some surprising examples of excellent manners in a few younger people. I attribute that to their parents.

Danno, you can bet that it was not the first example of rudeness expressed by that person towards someone. Maybe you should have sent him the text "U R Rude".

Like I always say "Acknowledge And Move On". Don't let it get to you.

I think Mapper65 hit the nail on the head :thumbup:

Do any of you pack pepper spray or have a legal conceled carry permit for a handgun for security and protection from both 2 and 4 legged dogs or bears while metal detecting?

I have never had problems as such. But if someone does get called names by youths, do not take it personally as these youths do not personally even know you. You are just an object to them, they are the ones with problems.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?23,171836,173055#msg-173055

On the other hand(on the other side of the coin) from youths to children-kids, in the past on Findmall I've read a thread(s) about humoros-funny questions children ask you when you are metal detecting. (Like on Bill Colsby & Art Linkletter's shows, "House Party" & "Kids Say the Darndest Things".) One funny one was a child asked a detectorist on that Findmall thread was, "I was asked one time if I was detecting coins because I was poor? BB" Hehehaha!
Metal Detecting Forum
Strange things kids say about us detecting

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,1147302,1147302#msg-1147302

"Yea its funny some of the questions they ask: That's a metal detector right? Are you looking for dinosaur bones? Are you poor and looking for money? Are you a garbage man? Are you looking for toys? ect, ect, ect...."
Garrett Users Forum
My first run in with kids....

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,974433,974680#msg-974680

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,665505,665569#msg-665569

Also from not only children I have been asked over about 35 years "are you looking for gold?" Seems a popular question.

Yip, have similar responce down here as well.But 90% of people that stop and talk are genuine,
(even if secretly I want to tell them to B...... off I am busy). But many of them will show an interest
and say things like "I have always wanted one of those' or " what are you doing".
I have never had any negative comments but judging by the body langauge clearly some think I am a bit weird,
On the positve side I get comments like " I could of used one of those the other week my wife/girlfriend lost her
ring that I gave her"And I always make an offer to try and find it.It makes for good PR....HH

Ah well, I'm looking forward to this week. I have found a fairly well used camping site beside a lake that has been very popular with campers for generations.

Should yield some interesting finds (I hope). And during the weekdays, its pretty much deserted!!

Wow. I started that first thread. What a blast from the past!

(And I've never had any negative experience ;) )

w

I haven't had any problems but I do carry pepper spray. And my pouch digger and my lone handle digger and when I am on a beach my scoop. Ouch! the would hurt.

Doug

Like Beale, my children are past the "kiddie" stage, and they think I'm a bit wierd, but they know what I find, and accept tht it is my hobby. I have had negative comments, but also positive and encouraging ones, so I go with the good vibes rather than the bad. It's my hobby, and as long as I dont hurt anyone or damage anything, then I'll keep at it.

I have a concealed weapons permit and like to carry a gun for mountain lions, bears and snakes. I'm 27 and love to detect. I've always wanted to since I was young, thought it would be a blast. Now I do and love it. I guess it's one of those things your wired to love and be passionate about and people who don't understand that probably don't really understand too much about themselves and feel confidence in themselves only when they pick on other people. Sorry you had to do deal with that crap, it's frustrating.

Mike

I try to wear camo to blend in the parks I hunt (it works) most people leave me alone, and I hunt early before parks get busy.If it gets busy I leave , I'm wary of what I call kids, because of the gang mentality, around here ,and alwas keep an eye on my environment. So far I haven't been hasseled,and I do carry something in case.

So far any coments have expressed interest in the hobby or tips on where their 15 yo girlfriend lost a "Diamond ring". Sure. But maybe and thanks for the tip son.

I have not been heckled yet. So thank God for that and the only iffy approach I had was a bum wanting a handout, he got a look at my Combat Digger and stepped back real fast. Its just the ames style with a good sharp point welded into the v notch and sharpened to a good point. But in a pinch it would obviously penetrate a fleshy abdomen or ribcage very handly. So far I have more concerns in the urban areas than in the more remote areas.

Bears and cougers should be a concern for those who MD rural and woods and a quality firearm should be close at hand or pepper spray.

Does the pepper spray actually work on bears and cougers?

Jeff

they actually make a bear pepper spray mean't for em. I imagine its got to be pretty potent

Danno...I can understand your feelings. After 30 years in law enforcement I have been call everything one can be called. I learned very early in my career that I could not react. If I did then it meant that I was loosing control. In this day in time people do not have the respect for human life and due to drugs and the violence they see every day, they have become dangerous. If confronted with someone showing their stupidity, simply walk off. Most times this will resolve the problem. I would advise carrying a cellphone instead of pepper spray or a weapon. I learned a long time ago that a advance to the rear sure beat a bad stand. HH TomB

Thanks Tom,

Sound advice indeed. Such a shame the lack of respect shown these days.

Although It's not so much the intimidation or threat of violence that gets me, but the total ignorance shown by some.

I just get on detecting though. It's my hobby and won't give it up for anything. Especially when I am on a winning streak!!

Cheers,

A little bit off topic, but if you carry pepper spray, next time try a small can of wasp and hornet spray. Shoots like a cannon, covers the target well, and will stop man or beast in his tracks. Cheap too.

I've not faced down a bear or a mtn lion BUT... I think aggression probably works better than anything... it is what the Wolverine and Badger use and nothing stands up to a Wolverine...

cats use it too and it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57VbE0J9niw (the bear does get the trash though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sAF8gMN9c0

Seriously, if someone says something to me I usually smile, wave, and act as if I absolutely don't get it. (I do my best Forrest Gump) Of course, if they push it I have a Lesche tool and usually a relic shark... and if I am anywhere questionable I have a FPN-40 on my hip. (at questionable sites like the woods I use a Kabar for a digger and always have the .40 cal) I load my clips alternating between hollowpoints and jackets so I am ready for people or animals... hollowpoints may not stop an animal).
I've never had anything go past the smile and wave point... I think acting simple disarms most regular people and most bullies do not want to wade into something they do not understand.... an unusual response throws most people a curve and they move on.

I'm really not sure what I would do with a bear... I know to run downhill. If that were not an option I think I would rather stand up to it and bluff and be mauled rather than run and be mauled... the bluff just might work if you show no fear and there are no cubs... and it isn't 12' tall.... laff... no bears please.

Tom has the the best answer and acting simple is like advancing to the rear because it is non confrontational. I would only face down a punk if absolutely forced to because their pride then comes into play... then they are then cornered and you have a situation.

Julien

I find it best to dress like a municipal work worker if someone asks just tell them your looking for syringes, and this clothing is very practical for detecting.