Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

etrac vs v3

ghostman said:
Thanks pastyman good information like this is helpfull sounds like the V3 has the edge over the E-trac, i could never get on with the multie tones of minelab detectors they drove me mad.

I here the French company are bring out a new detector soon, so i will either go for a V3 or maybe the new French detector

Patyman have you had any good finds like hammered coins with your V3 yet?
not sure but I think the e-trac has more choices than multitones

You would have a hard time getting better advice. Not many get a Ferrari to learn to drive. I met a guy several years that came in to a detector club meeting as a guest. He had a large salad bowl FULL of coins, rings, etc. with him. Everyone was impressed and immediately wanted to know what detector he used. Guess what, a $100 Bounty Hunter his wife had bought him at WalMart....We were all surprised, but reminded, it's more important how well you learn to use a particular detector than how complex it might be. Don't get me wrong, I think the Spectra has many possibilities, and plan to get one soon, but I've been detecting since 1970. I would never try to teach a beginner to start out with a machine of this caliber. As stated above, there are many great starter detectors for $200 out there, and you can be taught to use it quickly.

HH,

Mike

Has been a scorcher here today, mix in the run to the sun in Newquay, and my plans for the low water hunt today were stuffed, will wait a few days and then hit the wet and see what the doners have dropped:wiggle:

As a White's employee, I should just say "V3". But that would be Bad Advice.

New detectorists make 2 common mistakes in buying their first detector:
1) They buy a $99 piece of junk from eBay or the local BigMart, or a bargain 70's model from eBay, and get completely frustrated at finding trash.
2) They buy the Best Detector on the market, and get completely frustrated with all the controls and programmability.

I suggest starting out with a detector that has good performance (but obviously not The Best) and is easy to use. I also suggest visiting a dealer who can let you try them out and guide you in the process. Also try to find a local detector club; members will surely invite you on a hunt and let you try out what they use.

- Carl

Hi,

I'm with Carl on this.

I've sold tens of thousands of detectors in the last 35 years. I can tell you that many first time purchasers find they really do not get into detecting. Seemed like a good idea, but after a couple outings the detector just stays in the closet.

Sweet spot for performance is the $600 - $800 retail range (before discounts). Units in that price range will find most of what can be found. Doubling the money does not double the depth but only gives you that extra inch or two. The mid-range units are generally simpler to operate with less options. Many would tell you they prefer them for that reason alone compared to the top end machines.

I'm fairly brand neutral but for first time buyers White's does offer a bonus. The two year transferable warranty. You can try the unit for 6 months, and if you decide to sell it, the new owner gets the remaining warranty. That really helps boost resale value in the first couple years. Or pick up a good used machine at a decent price. If it turns out detecting is not for you, you can resell it for about what you paid for it.

If you are convinced you are really, really going to get into detecting, you won't go wrong with either the E-Trac or V3. They will both get the job done. People here prefer the V3. People on the E-Trac Forum prefer the E-Trac. I know people love to endlessly compare top end units but for me it is about choosing good locations and hours of detecting time.

Steve Herschbach

Carl-NC said:
As a White's employee, I should just say "V3". But that would be Bad Advice.

New detectorists make 2 common mistakes in buying their first detector:
1) They buy a $99 piece of junk from eBay or the local BigMart, or a bargain 70's model from eBay, and get completely frustrated at finding trash.
2) They buy the Best Detector on the market, and get completely frustrated with all the controls and programmability.

I suggest starting out with a detector that has good performance (but obviously not The Best) and is easy to use. I also suggest visiting a dealer who can let you try them out and guide you in the process. Also try to find a local detector club; members will surely invite you on a hunt and let you try out what they use.

- Carl

See it all the time Carl. The ones who do the $99 unit I just think "What a bad intro into a great hobby!". For the other side..."Awful expensive closet candy!", as they tend not to sell 'em? :shrug:

There's a bigger choice today of available detectors compared to 25 years ago. Not only that, didn't have internet for ebay, craigslist, forums with classified, etc for searching for a detector.

Mid range units would make a good start. And getting something from one of the well known reputable manufacturers.
A friend got a cheap detector from his wife last December. It was originally 69.00 and she got a x-mas special so it was 39.00. It didn't take but a few outings and he was frustrated and loosing interest fast.
They knew I metal detected and it gave her the idea of getting him the cheap detector. She didn't talk it over with me or do any research before the purchase. Now she kind of blames me for her mistake (long story) :rant:
One evening I whipped out a lower end Tesoro, the Compadre, and he couldn't figure out why it hit well for a machine with almost nothing, compared to his cheap piece with about a half dozen knobs and an intensity meter. I couldn't get his to hit a quarter well at 3 inches air test.
I don't care to discuss the Vision do to her issues. They are on their own as far as I'm concerned regards to detecting. The tools (Internet etc) are out there for making a better informed decision.
If I was to start now, I wouldn't mind a mid range unit or upper end like the Vision to allow expansion - but that's just me. I also like some lower cost units like the Compadre for simplicity turn on and go at times also.

I have no particular reason why I passed the etrac. Just didn't look into it well if I had to guess. But when the Vision became available, one outing with a local dealer and I purchased a new one that evening. No regrets.

Your an honest good man...

n/t

Some excellent posts you all. We have a great core on this forum and it will only get better as we dig more and more with another winner by White's.......Ladies and Gentlemen I give you WHITE'S SPECTRA V3:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I've always loved white's machines and have tried many top of the line detectors in other brands but I always come back to whites. I got rid of my mxt and dfx and got an etrac. They are all fine machines as stated....it all depends on what you want as an individual. The etrac seems to go deeper than other white's machines but the numbers jump all over the screen and the tones don't give a good id for me. The numbers either don't appear for a long time or get stuck on my machine. I have found a few deep coins so far but I went to an old 1800's school where I had permission to dig and got no null tone most of the time in spite of the programs and coils etc. Then I went to my favorite park but the numbers jumped around so often that I had no idea what I was digging. I didn't find the etrac menus intuitive either....guess it's because I'm used to the whites menus perhaps. I have been detecting for over 40 years and I found that I'm gonna stick with White's and sell my etrac.

The only way to know which detector is the best for your needs is to use and learn both for a good long while and then make a educated decision.Anything else is hearsay,Hearsay literally means information gathered by the first person from a second person concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience.

all mechine will work like they should
its the person and ground condition will make it a happy day or not
I found coins over 10 inches with my surmaster water mechine Soho it US that needs listen and learn

I'm not one to beat down the competition. I think both Etrac and V3 are excellent machines, but in my experience the guy that swings the coil over the target first is probably going to find it first. But it does help to know your machine, and a novice or a badly tuned machine will limit your finds.

All in All.. keep swinging and you'll keep finding :) (oh and research really helps a LOT)

ghostman said:
Hello xarget

I stated Whites detectors are quite easy to use, and are well balanced, and i would chose one over a minelab.

The E-Trac is the most complicated machine i know of, i do not like the tones minelab machines make,there confusing,even to experienced users

Beginners should remember it does not matter what machine they have, or how much it cost, the important thing is knowing how to use it.

someone with a basic machine that is proficient at using it will always have more success than someone with the most expensive machine if that operator can not use it properly.

xarget i am glad you are pleased with your V3 confidence in any machine will always bring you more finds

*************************************************​

This post is a clear illustration of a post being more a reflection of the [size=x-large]person's capability[/size] ( or lack of it.), rather than the machine's functionality..

For example, the comment:-

The E-Trac is the most complicated machine i know of,

I say it is one of the EASIEST, TOP OF THE RANGE, machines to set up.

If it is of help to anyone interested in finding out the facts, then let Larry set down the adjustment required for any setting to be achieved, both for the V3 and the E-trac.

Then readers, judge for yourself, which if any, is "The most complicated".

I trust Larry to be fair in his submissions.......TheMarshall.

P.S. I think BOTH the V3 and the E-trac are fine detectors.........but which one suits you, is all about [size=x-large]you[/size] and [size=x-large]your capabilities[/size].

IF you can find one....I would buy a E3......thats half Etrac and half V3. Thats the way I feel...some of the things on etrac are better, some on the v3 are better. They are very similar in weight. I supposed too iti depend on what your looking for.....I think looking for silver etrac and gold v3. It all comes down to the freqs I think. To sum it up....thats all Im going to own V3 & etrac....getttin rid of everything else.

If you buy seafood, know your fish monger.....if you hunt....know your detector!!!!

I'll let the post keep going but IMHO it is a waste of server space. If you want a E Trac get one if you want a V3 get one. The purpose of this forum is to help V3 owners with their machines. Oh course I would like to see more people show their finds. Mine's bigger than yours gets us nowhere. Larry has used both extensively and gives an unbiased option. [attachment 159952 Reading.gif] Rob

It is impossible to compare apples and oranges....both White's and Minelab are fine companies with excellent products. The V3 is a great detector and so is the E-Trac and Explorer. Some people like one or the other for various reasons and there are some of us who like both brands for our own reasons. So which one is best? That depends on the hunter, their style of hunting and what they are hunting for, I'm sure there are other reasons as well. If there were a "best" detector, there would only be one company with all of the business.