Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Potential Problems.

Decanfrost

As a Minelab user of 3 x machines and knowing a fair bit about the 2 x in particular.Im just hoping no dumb ass things come along with the Equinox.In some regards i feel manufacturers no longer view longevity on an items worth over a few years as a valid build requirement.
Meaning if you get 4-5 years out of a 1k device,then youve got your $$$ s worth.
Just like washing machines and fridges.....but i have seen still 40 + year old fridges ,but you wont find and newer ones reaching these historic time frames......because things are now deliberately built to stimulate mindless spending.Or the economy.Or the financial system.

Soooo
My Ctx had a problem when bought new....the seals were sub standard...this was fact and dealt with poorly.
Arm/Wristband secure nut problem.
Not to mention the status bar at top is micro in size and impossible to read without a magnifying glass

SDC 2300
Batteries wobble loose and unit turns off and requires tape around them or YOU have buy the FIX from second source....Out of your pocket.

As im quite excited to try buy this new Equinox machine.
We will see .With not so baited breathe.

Oh and problem i see with the Equinox "For me" as with the Deus would be the balance of weight and no counter balance.
Never pulled my back out so hard untill i swung a DEus for a week .
Great machine but no Fulcrum effect .

Yeah, as for the balance issue, we will have to wait and see. The worst problem with the E-Trac was its horrible off-balance weight. It kills most peoples arm after a few hours. Then they released the CTX and people were pissed off because it actually weighed more, but that extra weight was added to the batteries and made it soooo much easier to swing all day long.

I'm happy the EQ is such a light weight, and 'm hoping the ergonomics arent too bad.

I've made a lot of electronic or mechanical item purchases over the years and your post got me thinking. I can't think of anything I've ever bought that didn't have some issue... ranging from a minor to a major flaw or defect, issue or poor after sale support etc etc. I think it's partly the nature of such products and the old saying that you can't please all of the people all of the time. That said, there have been items that when there is a flaw or an issue I've gotten outstanding support from the company who manufactured it. That after sale support is key to buyers and is what keeps customers loyal. So l join you in hoping this latest offering from Minelab is a winner... and just as hopeful that when (not if) issues arise, folks are afforded quick and fair remedies. But I may just be dreaming.

Sorta like the RV industry---if you luck out and get a good one,Praise the Lord,but if you get a bad one you have the Devil to pay to get it fixed.

My concerns is .... battery changing and charging, headphone connector, and external speaker (why). Im going to assume those shaft connector are sturdy. I use um in the deep salt water....... a lot can go wrong there..... B U T you do find enough gold out there that it pays for its self fast. Anyone know how long the warranty will be?

Dew

A friend of mine has a Garrett GTP1350 and he let me swing it once. That's about it,once. What an off balance, rod wobbling turd that was. Another friend has an ATPro with the stock coil. Same thing,just so nose heavy and wobbly. My IDXPro was EONS ahead of those two,and still is as far as Balance and swingability go. I get on with the Explorer2 just fine,but I happen to have Popeye forearms,so it's not an issue. The CTX with the stock coil I will swing all day,the 17" is heavier...I normally use the harness if I'm swinging 10-15 minutes between targets. The Equinox should be a breeze for most....
Funny....I have never considered weight when assessing a machine,if it's any problem I'll work around it...if the machine performs how I need it to.

IDXMonster said:
Funny....I have never considered weight when assessing a machine,if it's any problem I'll work around it...if the machine performs how I need it to.

so true! The E-Trac killed my right arm so bad. I would switch arms, use harnesses and take frequent breaks so I could keep hunting with it. It was so much better than any other detector I had used I was willing to put up with a lot of discomfort to keep swinging it.

Like IDXMONSTER, I have never had a problem swinging the E-Trac all day with the stock pro coil. Never found it heavy or unbalanced. But , then again, I can swing a GPX all day with a 14" coil with no bungee in the gold fields. Sounds like some of you guys need to hit the gym :shrug:. The Nox looks like it will be super lite. The only issue I've ever had with any detector was the same issue that the OP mentioned with the SDC battery box...super easy fix that was mentioned on many forums...just stretch the battery contact springs out a bit and no more problem. I've had five Minelab machines ( still have two) and never had an issue other than the extremely minor issue mentioned above. I expect the Nox will be another great offering from ML.

Dean

Older age creeps in nicely and catch s up with us all.No exceptions.
Me to i can swing any machine all day a few years ago,but now....Holy snapping Duck Sh!^*t....!
I really like that Deus,but coming off a ML then a XP Deus on a trip away.
My only relief in the goldfields was lying in my tent,stones pushing through the floor and my mattress working as form of diversion pain....(-:

Anyways we will see.

I havent been following the NOX too much, have learned to wait a little to prove itself or not. Obvious, Im still scared from the CTX release and the overselling of the initial marketing. Still pissed about no updates. And Im not buying what some say, “ why upgrade” when its not broke. Their missing the point, it was about the pitch and belief thst we would be getting better updates and a machine that kerps up with the times and or stays agead.
Now with that being said, I am excited about the weight and still being a Minelab product. I hope its as good as people are hoping.
Like I said, THIS TIME, I will wait for some reviews and bebugging. Snnd no, Im not wortied about the early NOX users getting back to those worked out spots and getting all the “ deep” or “ in between” Trash targets that the new machine will provide.

Remember, sales are all marketing!!! Take it from a sales guy...

Im waiting for the truth from the field reports.

HH, and hope I wrote something that helps someone.

Decanfrost said:
As a Minelab user of 3 x machines and knowing a fair bit about the 2 x in particular.Im just hoping no dumb ass things come along with the Equinox.In some regards i feel manufacturers no longer view longevity on an items worth over a few years as a valid build requirement.
Meaning if you get 4-5 years out of a 1k device,then youve got your $$$ s worth.
Just like washing machines and fridges.....but i have seen still 40 + year old fridges ,but you wont find and newer ones reaching these historic time frames......because things are now deliberately built to stimulate mindless spending.Or the economy.Or the financial system.

Very true. For a washer you can still get a top load Speed Queen that is NOT energy star compliant so built to wash & last forever, not
to save water & electric ! I just got one to replace my 35 yr old Maytag (still running). Its a sweet machine.
Should last 30yrs plus like the old design Maytags.
BTW inlaws still have a GE fridge with a WW2 ration sticker on it. They had to wait 4 months to get it BUT it still works fine.

With MD's it depends on how they will be serviced. Most likely board level. If like TV's when they make the last run they build some extra boards
but when they are gone its R.I.P. usually. Making a new run of boards costs too much even if all parts were still available. This is
why you can fix a 1975 Zenith easily but not a new set.
My only other MD is a Garrett GTA500. It lasted over 20 yrs with just the battery holders replaced. Probably the connectors between the 3
main boards need cleaning. Ive seen pictures of it & its EXTREMELY well built inside. Hopefully modern ones are the same & I get
that out of my Safari ! I should get it on the bench.........

C U later Tom
LFOD !

Seems the Germany have a little more info. 3 year warranty....... you have to say wow to that. Headphones push in then threaded to seal..... thats good if its not got that dang flat side like a CTX connector. I see yellow head phones for the water are still in fashion. Now ..... is the three piece shaft up to the task in the water. I put a LOT of stress on a shaft with even a little long shore drift..... get waves kicking and you get some real pressure. If there is just a couple of inches in there....... id change it out to a long CF using just the lower shaft.

I don't get where people think these things are heavy. When I was beach hunting a couple weeks ago, I was averaging 6 hours straight of swinging and digging on a sanded in beach with a CTX 3030. My average target was 4 scoops with a Stealth 920 scoop...which means big deep holes. My GPS said I hunted between 3 and 4 miles each night. I never even felt it. Water hunting wears me down faster than land hunting though, especially in current. But I would rather have a heavier machine for that instead of a lighter one. I too can hunt with a GPX all day, until the battery goes flat. No problems. If these people can't handle a sub 3 pound detector, they need to just give up the hobby. My scoop and shovels weigh more than that.

Daniel Tn said:
I don't get where people think these things are heavy. When I was beach hunting a couple weeks ago, I was averaging 6 hours straight of swinging and digging on a sanded in beach with a CTX 3030. My average target was 4 scoops with a Stealth 920 scoop...which means big deep holes. My GPS said I hunted between 3 and 4 miles each night. I never even felt it. Water hunting wears me down faster than land hunting though, especially in current. But I would rather have a heavier machine for that instead of a lighter one. I too can hunt with a GPX all day, until the battery goes flat. No problems. If these people can't handle a sub 3 pound detector, they need to just give up the hobby. My scoop and shovels weigh more than that.

ITs not the weight, its the balancing. The CTX is a breeze to swing all day because it carries a nice big counter-weight under your elbow. Most aren't set up that way, certainly the E-Trac!

Well not everyone, but a lot of people still complain that the CTX is too heavy for them. I never had an issue with the eTrac or Explorers either, and I even ran the eTrac with the 13" Ultimate coil 99% of the time. I actually liked it better than the CTX but sold it because I like water hunting too much.

I'm actually concerned that the Equinox will be too light for any serious water hunting. Especially in river current or the ocean surf. I made this error with my sand scoop when I went from a heavy fiberglass handle to a carbon fiber handle. It lightened the scoop considerably...which was good for wet sand hunting. But as soon as it got in the water, it gets knocked around by the smallest of waves and has a tendency to want to drift off a spot.

dbado1 said:
Like IDXMONSTER, I have never had a problem swinging the E-Trac all day with the stock pro coil. Never found it heavy or unbalanced. But , then again, I can swing a GPX all day with a 14" coil with no bungee in the gold fields. Sounds like some of you guys need to hit the gym :shrug:. The Nox looks like it will be super lite. The only issue I've ever had with any detector was the same issue that the OP mentioned with the SDC battery box...super easy fix that was mentioned on many forums...just stretch the battery contact springs out a bit and no more problem. I've had five Minelab machines ( still have two) and never had an issue other than the extremely minor issue mentioned above. I expect the Nox will be another great offering from ML.

Dean
Lol hit the gym I have tennis elbow not from just detecting I fish a lot fly fish spin but that never bothers my elbow
Swinging the Etrac does a little bit but it’s my best machine for beach use...
So I bought a Deus and I can swing that all day no problem..

mcb613 said:
I havent been following the NOX too much, have learned to wait a little to prove itself or not. Obvious, Im still scared from the CTX release and the overselling of the initial marketing. Still @#$%& about no updates. And Im not buying what some say, “ why upgrade” when its not broke. Their missing the point, it was about the pitch and belief thst we would be getting better updates and a machine that kerps up with the times and or stays agead.
Now with that being said, I am excited about the weight and still being a Minelab product. I hope its as good as people are hoping.
Like I said, THIS TIME, I will wait for some reviews and bebugging. Snnd no, Im not wortied about the early NOX users getting back to those worked out spots and getting all the “ deep” or “ in between” Trash targets that the new machine will provide.

I agree with you mcb613;

After the Broken promises (Updateable, Future Proof, etc) as well as quality issues, relating to the CTX 3030, I will wait awhile on user experiences/opinions and see what they have to say before deciding whether or not to buy another detector from Minelab.

Old saying, Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me!

mcb613 said:
I havent been following the NOX too much, have learned to wait a little to prove itself or not. Obvious, Im still scared from the CTX release and the overselling of the initial marketing. Still @#$%& about no updates. And Im not buying what some say, “ why upgrade” when its not broke. Their missing the point, it was about the pitch and belief thst we would be getting better updates and a machine that kerps up with the times and or stays agead.

You have the same feelings I do, bought the CTX when it first came out. Not falling for that one again. I am going to wait, I have a few friends that bought them, I am going to try one out first before I buy.

UWMM

I'm sure it is mostly marketing, certainly with the artificial scarcity that added to the hoopla. Waiting for the bugs to be found and addressed makes sense. But by then it's maybe just another "ho-hum" detector, and the excitement is gone... I must confess I did spring for the Equinox 600. I like it so far. At least with the Equinox, early adopters are paying only a third or less what they paid for the CTX when it arrived, so somewhat less risk.