Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Expanded TID

JimmyCT

I personally would like to see an optional upgrade for expanding the Target ID range. For me things are too lumped up.
I suppose I was spoiled coming from the sovereign and enjoyed that it had 180 TID range. Is there anyone else that would like to see this happen or do you like it the way it is?

It would have been nice in the beginning but I don't see it coming in an update, ever. JMO
HH Jeff

I would like to see one up to 100

I’d like to see targets other than gold up-scale at depth based on density lol. I don’t like the bottle caps where they are or iron up scaling into those low digits. But.....like Jeff said unlikely it will change

Hopefully, the new "Vanquish", might have EXPanded TID's?

I won't be buying another "NOX", 'till it shows up at a Dealer near me? (whenever that'll be?)

I'm with you. I might even pay for an upgrade if Minelab would build a 8-9" coil for the Equinox.

earthlypotluck said:
I personally would like to see an optional upgrade for expanding the Target ID range. For me things are too lumped up.
I suppose I was spoiled coming from the sovereign and enjoyed that it had 180 TID range. Is there anyone else that would like to see this happen or do you like it the way it is?

earthlypotluck,

First question, what is it that you're hoping to separate out from the rest of the target ID scale?

Don't forget about the original 550 scale on the sovereign. I still have a couple 550 units somewhere with some old coils and the like. Typically, with a larger scale, the ID #'s bounce around all over the place, and there has to be some sort of averaging taken into account to give stability to the reading.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1679149

How useful is it to have a 550 scale or a 180 scale or a 100 scale, or a -95 to 0 to +95 scale? If you remember the sovereign, all the higher conductive coins were pretty bunched right at the top anyway, so how helpful is that? Tesoro had the same deal with the Toltec series, TID's all bunched at the top with a lot of mid-range separation to help sort through nickels and pull tabs and square tabs and other junk looking for gold rings.

I think it is the audio of the Sovereign that really was the key. Do the little Sovereign wiggle over a quality target and listen to the audio lock on and start to climb. Take a peek at the Target ID and see where it tops out. Do the same wiggle over junk and the audio would give it away.

In reality, I am finding the target ID scale of my 800 to be fine. Perhaps I've just become used to it over the last 15 months or so. It has its' own characteristics that are helpful as I hunt. Much faster than my old Explorer, Etrac, XS-2a Pro or GT.

Anyway, I'm interested to read other's thoughts on this.

Rich -

Rich..... a lot might have to do with the type of hunting as well. The Sov was separated better for gold finds on the low end. Used to use the Exp.... in the wet sand it was obvious the Sov defined target from salt much better. BUT..... my thought is ..... im not looking for a reason NOT to dig im looking for a target in the water plain and simple. Pull tab....... so ya want to leave um...... most wont any more than they would a bottle cap. IF.... ML wants to do us a favor ....have iron react like a hot rock ... in the high digits not the low pos. ones......AND move bottle caps tones if possible into the iron range and stop all the falsing in the second bin. When i first started using the Nox.....i felt the same way...... everything that im looking for is bunched up. After some time thou...... its not a big deal if im honestly digging most targets. I know shallow bottle caps, pull tabs, foil, and other target IDs..... so i can pass them pretty easily. The Nox is pretty accurate on shallower targets considering its fast recovery.

Minelab used the update feature once. That is all we get. Been that way since the CTX. I'm not upset by that. What upsets me is they advertise the feature like the best thing since sliced bread. Expanded target ID. On the next model in 5 years.

Some have moved away, Some have long beards Some have died. All of this has happened while waiting for updates from Minelab.

CT Todd said:
Some have moved away, Some have long beards Some have died. All of this has happened while waiting for updates from Minelab.

:crylol:

What year is it now ?

Rich -

I think the system on the Equinox is fine. If you cros sweep a target you can usually tell if its something good or alloied junk. Most detectors that have a 100 point system usually things below 40 or 60 are.junk. leaving 60 or 40 good numbers. The Nox is from -9 to 40 so basically 59 pointa of tid. If you use 50 tone you can really hear the nuances of the isg al which will in conjuction with watchingnthe numbers really show a good solid target cersus one sith a mixture of metals in it. I really wouldnt want it to have more numbers.

I would like to see an a simple arrow below the Discrimination scale that corresponding to the target I’d number. It would be quick fast TID on the go as a quick reference.

Doug

Donut said:
I would like to see an a simple arrow below the Discrimination scale that corresponding to the target I’d number. It would be quick fast TID on the go as a quick reference.

Doug

I don't know if you are aware, but the Discrimination scale already flashes at the corresponding ID when going over a target...
Not quite as blatant as an arrow, but still a quick visual indication.

Yea I know that the discriminators Saale dose blink and actually small to the old eyes, lol, but it would be better with a distinct arrow below the blinking square. would be a actually easier and faster to see and I believe it would register faster to the brain on the area on the scale for a reference area so if you wanted to start reject stuff that keeps reoccurring. But that’s just my opinion. Example you will remember a certain area better than an ID number. Don’t get me wrong the ID number very important , kind of hard to explain.
This is something that could be added for future download updates.

Doug

Donut said:

Doug

I understand what you're saying, but the odds of that being a future update is about 10,000 to one.
It's because of the way custom/dedicated LCDs are manufactured.

Unlike a computer screen, which is just an array of dots...say for instance 1280x1024....on which you can display anything...
...a custom LCD for dedicated usage, like a metal detector, typically has ALL THE CHARACTERS AND GRAPHICS pre-masked/printed onto the LCD.
It's exactly the same way the old LCD watches were made.

If the graphic isn't already built into the display, the device can't display it.

There are huge advantages for doing it this way.
It's much faster, requires less power, more rugged, and has sharper image resolution than a standard bitmap display.

The limiting factor is that you can't add elements 'after the fact' without a screen re-design, and a new manufacturing run from the LCD display provider.
Since that costs $$$, that's why I said about a 10,000:1 chance.
:)
mike

trojdor said:
Donut said:

Doug

I understand what you're saying, but the odds of that being a future update is about 10,000 to one.
It's because of the way custom/dedicated LCDs are manufactured.

Unlike a computer screen, which is just an array of dots...say for instance 1280x1024....on which you can display anything...
...a custom LCD for dedicated usage, like a metal detector, typically has ALL THE CHARACTERS AND GRAPHICS pre-masked/printed onto the LCD.
It's exactly the same way the old LCD watches were made.

If the graphic isn't already built into the display, the device can't display it.
That's my point its a physical issue not a software issue.
HH Jeff

There are huge advantages for doing it this way.
It's much faster, requires less power, more rugged, and has sharper image resolution than a standard bitmap display.

The limiting factor is that you can't add elements 'after the fact' without a screen re-design, and a new manufacturing run from the LCD display provider.
Since that costs $$$, that's why I said about a 10,000:1 chance.
:)
mike