Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 600 and jewelry question

Jason in Enid said:
TID has no true correlation to karat stamp.​

............................​

Sorry J, but it does.....otherwise what's the science of metal detecting mean?

What you really are trying to say is, " Most detectorists don't understand the full rational behind the TID function.

The TID evaluation is the summation of ALL the parameters of the target involve, AND the detector's designed functionalities; principally, the frequency it employs, and the target's 'cumulative' electrical conductivity.....either homogeneous or bi-metal.

You mentioned but a few......

A 'genuine' say 9k ring can have a TID of maybe 8 to '80'......depending on whether its a child's size or a great big knuckle-duster.' and the gold is alloyed with nickel or copper or coconut-crap.

So let's repeat the fact of metal detecting.....Those who only dig by numbers, are rank amateurs who are still leaning what its all about.

We all had to learn; but today's forums are filled with BS and that can confuse newbies and extend the process.

????????????????????????????​

J in E:-
The purity, alloyed metals, size, mass, shape and any damage all affect TID. First, digging a ring from the dirt and it wasn't shiny is about 99% guarantee its fake. Seawater can corrode low karat gold but I've found old, plated rings that still looked great when dug from the soil.

I don't fully agree with your proposition of it being 99% likely fake.........matt

It may be gold plated I just dug a nice 14k sapphire diamond ring its small rang up 9-10

The 'GF' in "18k GF" almost always means Gold Filled, or Gold Plated. (Both mean the same thing, counter-intuitively.)
...so it's not really fake, as it's correctly identifying itself as plated.

If it's old, the base was typically copper or copper-nickel alloy. (Depends on the year and location.)
However, I have seen a few that were gold plated on silver...especially newer ones.

(I've also seen other alloys of junk metals used.)

That's the ring lottery for you.
You never know what you'll get until you dig it up.

Sometimes it's aluminum...sometimes it's gold or platinum.
:)
mike

Take a strong magnet to the ring if it sticks to the ring than it’s NOT gold . Gold rings will not stick to a magnet

metalpopper said:
TID has no true correlation to karat stamp.

Sorry J, but it does.....otherwise what's the science of metal detecting mean?

What you really are trying to say is, " Most detectorists don't understand the full rational behind the TID function.

The TID evaluation is the summation of ALL the parameters of the target involve, AND the detector's designed functionalities; principally, the frequency it employs, and the target's 'cumulative' electrical conductivity.....either homogeneous or bi-metal.

You mentioned but a few......

A 'genuine' say 9k ring can have a TID of maybe 8 to '80'......depending on whether its a child's size or a great big knuckle-duster.' and the gold is alloyed with nickel or copper or coconut-crap.

So let's repeat the fact of metal detecting.....Those who only dig by numbers, are rank amateurs who are still leaning what its all about.

We all had to learn; but today's forums are filled with BS and that can confuse newbies and extend the process.

????????????????????????????

J in E:-
The purity, alloyed metals, size, mass, shape and any damage all affect TID. First, digging a ring from the dirt and it wasn't shiny is about 99% guarantee its fake. Seawater can corrode low karat gold but I've found old, plated rings that still looked great when dug from the soil.

I don't fully agree with your proposition of it being 99% likely fake.........matt

TIDs are just rough estimates. TIDs aren't even used in the Gold mode. Sound is used instead. If you are going to be a stickler about TIDs, you are going to miss a lot of good targets, trust me.