Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dyn-o-mite !!

The story you are about to read is true....no names have been changed to protect the innocent.:angel:

I met Ralph in the fourth grade. He was a year ahead of me but took ill and was consequently held back for this reason. I also remember his father passing away that same year and it was me telling some goofball kid that was acting insensitive to his misfortune to "shut his mouth or else" that kindled what grew into a lifelong friendship. He's now married to one of my sisters.:)
Ralph and I shared a common interest in science and electronics when we were kids. It was primitive in nature but no less appealing. It was the following year that he and I discovered in the back row of geography class a formula for making our own gunpowder. Geography was our last subject of the school day that year and we hated it. Popular science magazines worked tremendously at making it tolerable. Charcoal, sulphur and saltpeter ! Three simple ingredients properly mixed. C'mon Saturday !!
Charcoal wasn't a problem. Anybody with a BBQ had that. Off we trecked to the drugstore a few doors down from Topp"s Dairy Bar, a local kids hangout that was popular for it's eight lane toy race track. Only the fastest and the best tried their wares at Topp's. We scoured the shelves of the drugstore and found the two ingredients we required. I can remember the 25 cents we paid for the can of sulphur but the saltpeter pricetag eludes me. It had to be similar. Otherwise we couldn't have afforded it even though we went "splitsies". Now as peculiar as this may sound, we had no difficulty in purchasing either product. I tend to believe that our young age lent the gentleman that sold it to us to believe that it couldn't have been for us.
It wasn't long after our purchase that we succeeded in our attempt to produce a viable gunpowder. Now....what to do with it ? The following weeks in geography class served as our "rocket" design laboratory. My mom's empty "Tab" pop cans were the first instruments we used as our fuselage. Cardboard wings and nosecones were the order of the day . All of our attempts for a successful launch proved fruitless, needless to say but it is somewhat disconcerning in hindsight to realize our good fortune in not blowing ourselves up. These gunpowder fueled "rockets" were primitive bombs. And of the five or six attempts we had made in launching them, every one of them lay on the ground burning up the powder inside until finished.
Having failed to emulate the NASA program, we easily thought of other uses for our creation. And the massive anthills scattered across the field where we played provided irresistable targets. Small pieces of copper pipe with a small hole drilled for our thin wire fuse and a vise to seal the copper pipe ends. (The large drinking spout holes in the pop cans likely saved our lives during our rocket phase). Our first attempt was a monumental success. Our inch long antkiller showed them critters who was boss.:smoke: The weekends to follow brought the inevitable at that young age. An audience in the form of a neighborhood kid or two whose cost of admission was carrying the old car battery that we used for ignition purposes. Scientists we were ya know.:wiggle:
Our experiments weren't to last forever, we were soon to learn. And although we can laugh at it now, and still do, Ralph's mom was given good reason to bring our shenanigans to an abrupt end. Roughly twenty yards from Ralphs' old farmhouse was their rather large sandbox. His kid sister Rosie had constructed a sand house that would've made any kid envious. And any young scientist "curious". Feeling secure in our successes, we proceeded to the next obvious target.:biggrin: Sheltering ourselves behind Ralph's ole' beat up shed, the ignition switch was triggered. Somehow, some way, something sounded different. We peered around the sheds corner in time to see this "bomb" soar thru the air like a missle. We froze as it sailed through a screened window of his house, gunpowder trail burning. His mother, who was sewing in a room adjacent to where it entered let out a shrill that I will never forget !! And we didn't have time to run. She was out of that house faster than our missle had entered.:blink: Not knowing what to do besides :cry:, the three of us ran back in to survey the damage. There was a hole about three inches round in their plaster wall and the carpet was burned down to the wood underneath, where the evidence of our creation lay. This was BIG trouble !! Water was poured on the carpet area and Ralphs' and my horror commenced. Neither of our parents had known what we'd been up to previous to this event. It's not that they were negligent. They just assumed, as any parent would in those days that we were digging forts or whatever was the flavor of the day. Ralph and I were both grounded for two weeks and our gunpowder days were over. The carpet was old and needed replacing anyways, so the story goes. But, last but not least, this story does have a happy ending. It may not have been our intention, but as fate would have it, we DID succeed in getting one rocket to launch.!!:huh:

[attachment 64803 rob2.jpg]

what a chapter of life that was! We never made any gunpowder but emptied more than a few shotgun shells and made our own "guns" with old lead pipes and marbles:biggrin:

I can just see the expression on your face, denying it was you.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

do this more often! I agree with Royal! You ARE a fine writer! I loved this story, once again proving boys will be boys! We all had imaginations back then (us girls too), and found things like this to entertain us. We weren't connected to the televisons and video games! I feel certain our childhoods were better than todays kids are!

Thanks for this very entertaining window into you as a child!

And my, what big eyes you have! :rofl: And did you forget to put your dentures in? :rofl: :rofl:

I remember doing similar but we did it by unrolling hundreds of firecrackers and saving the powder.We were not smart enough to make our own! We blew up hundreds of ant hills! Never thought of blowing up anything near the house or we surely would have been in the same trouble you were in!

I think that all boys of a certain age, monkeyed around with gunpowder. I know that I did, with the aid of a few friends. And we played with rockets too.

We actually got pretty good at it. Someone.... not certain who..if it was me or one of the gang... suggested mixing diesel[?] or kerosene[?]... with the powder. It worked very well.

Fair winds

Mikie

I would have loved to have seen the look on Ralph's and your faces when your bomb flew through that window. Your story brought back memories of the time I put a "cherry bomb" firecracker in old man Sinton's mailbox. Rob, thanks for posting this funny and enjoyable story...gave me a good laugh. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Ya know.....if my dad had any money, I'd seriously think about suing him for neglect.:rofl:

Even if you wasted good firecrackers.:lol: Making the powder proved easy. The worst part was crushing the charcoal......and tellin' my dad that I didn't know why his charcoal bag was always low.:shrug::lol:

Pretty clever to think of that when you guys were young, whoever it was. It's actually very stable when mixed. Did you guys ever get a rocket to launch........when you wanted it to ??:lol:

but she wasn't THAT day.:rofl: Glad you got a laugh out of it. :cheers:

Thanks for lettin' me pal around with you two for a few days.

I was really fond of those Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines. I remember speed-reading them while Momma shopped at Sheppard's market. I was every bit of twelve.

Your story is so refreshing. Thanks for sharing this part of your life. I never made my own gun powder. I just cut up some of Daddy's old 12-gauge shells whenever I wanted to get into mischief. We never got a rocket to fly, but we blew plenty of stuff up! Thanks again.

aj

the fact that both your parents thought you were out doing what kids do tells alot about the difference then and today.i never remember making gunpowder,but i do remember some older guys taking a half pint carton of daisy bb's and putting an m-80 firecracker in the middle if it then duct taping the whole thing,lighting the fuse and dropping it down a storm sewer drain.what a noise.my brother put an m-80 under a croquet mallet head behind our house,it blew it in half and sent one half of it over the neighbors house across the street.

i wonder what would have happened if ralph's dad had been alive:biggrin:,glad you two survived and ralph's mom got new carpet out of the deal:).

n/t