Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone use the 705 strictly for park gold

petew

I am going this season for only jewelry,and haven't purchased a detector yet.My main thing is any gold jewelry,and my concern is gold chains.I want them,as well as all gold jewelry.I'm willing to dig all good signals,and trash is ok,I'm ready for it.I had a 705,and like every one else I regret selling it.Does anyone have experience with the hf coils,and will they hit good on gold chains?Thanks to anyone who responds.

Another thing, in prospect mode it will only have one tone,and no id, I'd that correct? So I would be digging everything?I was trying to find a machine for all jewelry and not dig coins.I dont mind digging trash,but I wanted to pass on clad.

I use it for park and beach jewelry hunting. You do have to dig lots of aluminum trash and other low conductors, but with tone ID and visual ID, you can skip clad if you want ( but don't skip those nickles !).

You can't dig just gold rings/jewelry without digging just about everything else. A 10k class ring or big 19g 18k ring can sound and ID just like a cent. A small gold ring with a big rock can sound and ID like a piece of can slaw or one of those paper/foil round peel off juice tops. Gold chains are tuff to detect period., unless they have some pendent attached to them. You can try prospect mode as it will detect just a plain gold chain, but it will also detect every and any other metal object in the ground.
I'm always hunting for jewelry on the beach and parks with the XT 705/ HF DD Elliptical coil, but...... coins ,tabs, caps, slaw and other miscellaneous finds are always going to be part of the dig if you want to find bling. Even a big 15g plat band IDs as a pull tab. Good Luck

I'm gonna dig everything ,but the high clad numbers.I just wasn't sure if it would hit on chains.

nice display showing sizes and metal composition of rings along with the target id's. A picture is worth a thousand words.

If you want it all dig everything! Especially when you are just learning your machine and it doesn't hurt to dig everything after that too. More times than not deeper stuff rings up like iron or trash. I am fortunate enough that we hunt some fairly clean sites and I have gotten to where I dig everything that makes a noise. You would be suprised at what I find that I think is going to be trash.

If you haven't already seen this, check out this video on ring hunting with the 705.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5IgBS0GS8

I learned a lot here.!..thats a good vid, and that post of bob.oz has made me rethink plat tids..:clapping:
Mud

psyvad said:
If you haven't already seen this, check out this video on ring hunting with the 705.

Has anyone tried the settings per video. My beavertail reads 12 not 18, d-tab reads 16 and can't move it 14. What am I doing wrong.

IMO, discriminating anything when gold is the objective, means missing as much as you're finding. Regardless of whatever adjustments you may make, you simply can't notch out anything and realistically think that you're not skipping over potentially good targets.

I totally agree with OL, bit if I were on limited time that ring setting might be of use.these machines are just so versatile, it's amazing

If I read it right, Gerry's numbers would miss 6 of the 18 rings shown on Bob's photo. In this particular case one gives up 1/3 of the best finds to avoid digging tabs. Considering the ends we often go to to get a tiny advantage it seems a huge sacrifice to avoid mining aluminum.

Valid point on missing the small ones...although, I think his vid was done with the ROI concept of getting the big gold and avoiding all the scrap...a 2gr 14k in todays dollars is @$50 US....

Anyway, its a real conundrum for inland park hunters, based upon their territory etc...if the only place a guy can hunt is a few little modern parks close to home, yes, then dig it all...If a fellow is running and gunning a huge area with lots of parks and trying to make pay...you dont want to miss ANY big gold, and you dont want to be frittering away your limited time pulling tabs and shards either looking for it all....

I have not done the weight/value ratio regarding the heavy samples he found based upon the weight/value of the light samples he would miss...a cursory read tells me his method is valid for what he intended to prove...its probably a better ROI strategy than hunting all small gold..heck, a guy can bang out an equal amount of clad quickly and easily than hunting tiny gold in the dirt..a guy would need to find 20 2gr 14ks/yr to make what he can easily get sniping $1000 clad...so its a strategy based upon time and value which I can appreciate...(High value targets as opposed to ALL targets)...

I have struggled with this concept as I'm sure we all have...none of us wants to miss gold of any shape or size, but none of us wants to dig tabs and shards either...this presentation is a great representation of using the detector in a logical approach to dealing with our conundrum..:clapping: Like Petew's original inquiry...The thing that drives me nuts is the thought of missing chains! Rings are entirely different than chains..:rofl:

All it takes is one big chain to make a year...unfortunately even the huge ones are going to be in tabs and foil, most likely they have seen a coil a time or two, were never heard, or never dug...
Mud

jarrow said:
psyvad said:

Has anyone tried the settings per video. My beavertail reads 12 not 18, d-tab reads 16 and can't move it 14. What am I doing wrong.

Has onyone had the same results as in video?????
My pulltabs and D tabs don't show the same numbers.

Another thing to consider regarding hunting chains...you have to hunt the ones dropped pre cell phone days...so let the depth, amount and quality of the finds/trash in a particular area guide your strategy...

You still see some big chains being worn, its just now a days if a person ever lost a monster gold chain and noticed, they dont leave the spot, they get on their smart phone immediately and locate a local 'ringfinder'...who briskly scuttles on out there and finds it for a 'Thankyou'...(this applies to high dollar rings too) gotta hunt the ones lost in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's...when this cellphone resource was not available...the dirt/finds will tell you if you are in the right 'time' zone for the hope of a chain..its a fools errand otherwise...
Mud

Excellent, and informed, information. Although I know that picking up the tiny pieces add up, I would rather spend the time and energy working for the bigger piece...