Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

dodgy knees; what to do

I'm 80, I do squats and toe raises with barbells, and put iron boots on my feet with weights attached, and excercise this way 3 to 4 times a week, and I have very little problems kneeling or squatting. It's getting up is the problem LOL

Jim Tn and bubber have the closest thing to a "magic bullet" for helping out the knees. Exercising does wonders. I use an iron mind hip belt to perform leg squats (without loading up my spine with a heavy bar) They are not easy and you will humble yourself very quickly thinking one can use a lot of weight.
I don't need knee pads but do wear one on my left knee (I dominantly kneel down on this one) I look at this as preventative maintenance along with my exercising. Those patella T Wedge kneepads look nice! Thanks for the link Georgiacanuck. - Jim

I'm 54 and I've had knee problems, still have some cracking and popping, but about 10 years or so ago I had really bad knee pain. It was like having ice picks shoved all the way through both knees.

I started looking into some of the joint formula stuff on the market.
Knocks gelatine (makes a jello stuff)
Now Joint Formula Lotion (see picture below)

Next is this and the most important, self therapy.
What I found that seemed to work best is to stand in a doorway and on one leg and my hands on each door facing (just something good for balancing) I start to slow swing at the knee the hanging leg.
start with short swings and with each swing increasing the length of the swings and increase the height of the knee. (there can't be any weight on the swinging leg).

Switch legs and do the same thing with the other leg, make it a bit of a habit to do a couple of times a day. The idea is to use FULL MOTION unloaded flexes!

Next is the "Now joint formula"
Apply to the knee area of both knees ONLY after a bath or shower, I rub it in 360 degrees around (front and back) of the knees.

Now what you may notice to happen is in a few weeks is a little extra pain, Don't Give up! cut back on the lotion skipping two or three days at a time. I wrote this off to rebuilding of the joint and to be a good thing.
Now this isn't a overnight cure but rather a work in progress. I would say that in six months or so your knees will be way better!
Sometimes even now if I feel my knees acting up I just find something to lean on where I can do the knee flexes and I'm ready to go again.

I stopped the gelatine after about six months, it would probably be good to make it a treat a couple of times a month.
I never took or take any pain reliever for my knees, some research is showing that as much as it relieves the pain it may contribute to the problem in the long run.

This is the same lotion I use, I keep it on my bed side night stand. I buy mine at a "Healthy Life Market" but I'm sure it can be found at other health food stores as well.

Mark.

Also remember that joint pain can come from several different problems and what helps one sort may hurt another.

I have chondromalacia patella or misaligned knee caps along with arthritis. Had knee problems since I was a teen. If i was to start doing squats it might help with muscle tone but it would be serious trouble for the CP. There is also no magic bullet for it. You just deal with it to enjoy the activities you like. There is surgery but even the surgeons tell you it's an absolute last resort as the success rate for it is a crap shoot.

i went out yesterdday for a couple hrs tectin and decided to concentrate on my knee action. no squatting, drop to knee and keep it straight no twisting. my knee is fine today for a change normally it would be sore today. thanks all for the advice. i found 3 or 4 pounds in loose change and a silver cross pendant. xterra 305. out again today. hh.

I'm 56 and still surf at every opportunity, stretching and light exercise every day is a must since I hit 40 so is advil prior to hitting the water. This program has also benefited me with detecting. Get that Ibuprofen in the blood stream before you detect, not after. We are all different, just posting what works for me.

Good quality knee pads or the gardener's knee pad are both good ideas. Alternate knees to go down on or go to both knees (and maybe use all 3 methods) for best results. I'm 61 with fairly good knees except they have what's know as "surfing knots" on them. That can make it uncomfortable on the harder surfaces. Surfing knots are a build up by the body over time in response many hours on the board at the beach. Also, there's not reason not to glue 2 of those gardener's knee pads together for extra thickness if it does the job.

Knee Gaskets.

There was a bmx company named Mutiny that used to sell these back around 2001. They worked great for me, and you could wear them under your pants and you couldn't even see them.

Too bad there isn't a brace (strapped to the side of your calf and thigh of the bending knee) that you "push" down to the ground and click into position as you start to kneel, taking the pressure off of your knee as you start to kneel down.

Or a brace on the other leg that has a really stiff spring loaded telescoping rod (on the knee that will hit the ground), that you could twist and lock into position, which will support your weight as you start to kneel down. But the telescoping rod would have to be stiff enough to allow the user to kneel down slowly. Plus a "button" to make the rod push back out, lifting you up when you are ready to stand back up, like a hydraulic. I imagine this would reduce the pressure on your bent knee as you kneel down or as you get back up. I could be wrong. Obviously, it would have to be made of a very strong non-metallic product. Anyway, I used a picture of a guy doing a lunge and added some lines to simulate the brace so you can see what I mean.

Anyhoo, I think it's a good idea.

Andrea

Sounds like we all have similar issues. And similar solutions. That is the great thing about this forum, caring and sharing. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all. Tom

you could carry a small plastic stool to sit on rather than bending down on your knees .
then you can sit in comfort at low level and dig in comfort ,#
theyre about 12 inches high

I'M. 51 and still feel as good physically as I did when I was 20 except for a little back pain now and then. Probably just jinxed myself by posting this!

to be truthful,if you are NOT overweight,then that may be the reason why!
i'm too heavy that's my problem!. lose weight for the new year!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Working as a wooden boat shipwright pretty much did me in. Changed careers but still on my feet on concrete working hard. Still, I hate sitting at a desk all day!

Hi teviotlad, you got lots' of good info from he guys here, and are certainly not alone with your knee problems. Old diggers for the most part are like old dogs and simply "adapt" I had an old blind /deaf dog once that still managed to go to wherever he wanted to and did much of what he had always done before, and he taught me some good lessons on "adapting". I can't help but crack a big smile now when I think of ole "Snowball". I'm 74 and hunt every time I can.It hurts awful when I get down to dig, and really hurts even worse getting up. Takes me a couple of days getting recouped from an all day( yes, all day) hunt, but I hunt every chance I get. 43 years a construction welder , climbing, stradling beams and pipe , not to mention the grunting and lifting iron many times, took it's toll on every bone in my body.Had back surgery in 62. Bone degeneration in back / neck, arthritus (sudo-gout) in ankles/knees had me looking for some relief as early as the 80's. Different things, work for different folks at different tiimes so don't rush into any particular cure, but take it easy so as not to make things worse. That won't always be easy , as results can be questionable. Stay moving is my advice, as others have mentioned. I did deep/standing knee bends/squats and worked the Arthritis from both knees back in the 80s' rather than take 8 asprin a day as the Dr. prescribed. Yeah, it hurt beyond description, but worked for several years. Haven't been able to put myself to that test again now that I am much older, but It would probably work again, if it didn't kill me. Lol !! Years later I was miserable for 3 weeks with my knees/ankles on fire when I layed down at night to sleep. (didn't happen) Tried some cherrys/cherry juice, for the gout(sudo) and in 3 days was off and running again with no pain..Like I said though, the get down digging pain is back, but that is a different problem from gout. Just take what uou can from us all an use it with that "grain of salt" keeping an open mind. Oh yeah, I pray a lot too, and for me that has been my best medicine. HH, Charlie

Motrin 400-600mg 2 hours before hunting and rub a menthol type rub on your knees and the surrounding tendons/muscles...the major muscles that support your legs/knees/tendons should not be ignored. Kneepads and stretching your legs out a bit before and during hunting help as well. If I'm not on ground like city parks/lawns, etc. that require a "perfect" flap/dig, I often use a spade/Predator type long handled digger to reduce the need to kneel as much. FWIW, this is what I do that works for me but YMMV.