Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you always give back every single one you can (extremely long)

If I could find the owner,via an ad (from them)or a lost and found
report,I might persue that. I might inquire about the ring and
see if they would like someone to look for it,for a fee or reward,
and if they could describe it perfectly,and show proof of ownership,
then I probably would feel compelled to return it to the proper
owner. I know if I lost my detector at the beach,and someone
found it,even if it only cost $1200 to replace it,I hope they
would be honest enough to return it.I know I would give a reward
of some sort for their trouble.But that's just me.When it comes
to jewelery,I'm more concerned with the sentimental value than
the dollar value.That being said, I think I would hang onto it
for a while,and if nobody turns up,I guess it's your's.HH Joe
PS.I know some people who make a contract before looking for
anything(or returning),so as to keep it straight on both sides.

my advice would be put it in a safe place until the owner has had enough time to try and find there ring. they may come up to you sometime during the summer and ask if you have found it. i would give them till the end of the summer. if my wife or someone close to me lost there ring i would hope for the same.

lets see i need time to ponder this question over....5 seconds elapsed......heres what i came up with.."if someone said hey mister lost my ring about here, could you see if you can find it"..my answer "sure, i'll give it a try, glad to help"......No problem trying to help some poor soul undo a very upsetting event..I'm editing this post : I did give back some rings that had full names engraved in them that were tracable locally.

Other than that: I'm a treasure hunter seeking, gold/silver, coins, jewelry, and anything else of value: If you can find it, you can take it.

keep it all an give nothing back...

pirate code suits this hunter fine...

Sure it's yours, BUT....if someone could clearly identify it as theirs, 100%, I would definitely give it back. Ask for a reasonable reward, 10%. Maybe it belongs to a grateful person. Maybe it's a huge loss to its owner, either monetary or sentimental, or both. Could you really look someone in the eye and lie, saying you hadn't found it?

Reminds me of the story...
Man: Would you sleep with me for $1,000,000?
Woman: Well, yes.
Man: OK, How about for $10?
Woman: No way! What do you think I am, a whore?
Man: We've already established that, now it's just a matter of negotiating price.

So you'd do the right thing, but only if not too much money is involved, right?

If the ring is at a good monatary value, chances are the insurance company already has paid the owners for the loss.
If there are markings and/ or a name, you should try and do some research, to see if you can find out anything. You can say you tried.... If there isn't markings.... I would say the ring is yours.

This is what I would do. If I was ask if I had found a particular ring and the alleged owner could positively identify it I would ask what it would be worth to them to have it returned, not admitting that already I had found it. If the offer was fair and I was satisfied I would then draw up a search and recovery contract for them to sign and in a few days I would call them and make arrangements to return the ring. Win Win situation. You get compensated for your efforts and work and they get their lost item back.

Just my thoughts HH
Bob

Thanks to all who responded. I guess I'm a pirate at heart cuz' I'm sticking with my original decision. Appreciate especially the comments from all the forum "all stars". I knew my question would generate a lot of responses and for your honesty I am grateful. HH. Bill.

If it has a big stone in it sometimes there is a serial number engraved in the diamond. Take it to a jeweler and have it looked at.