Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you always give back every single one you can (extremely long)

bill in nc

Hello out there. Haven't posted in about 5 years but, I've been perusing the forum from time to time see what's been happening. Searched the archives and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so here goes. Been detecting mostly water for about 10 years now. Have returned 7 high school or college rings that I have found and then located the owner. Even got one thank you note. Hard to believe, huh. Have detected in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Alaska, and both US coasts. Found several hundred rings and all sorts of other goodies. Last week I made the find of a lifetime, and very close to home. It's a ladies wedding ring that was appraised at 18000 dollars so I figure it's really worth between 6 to 8 grand. Found it in a lake that I frequent that has only a few places that boats gather at on weekends. When I find college or high school rings I enjoy the process of locating and giving the rings back to the people that lost them. When I find diamond rings or rings with pretty stones the order of who gets first pick is wife, mother, sister, wife's friends, and then into the crown royal pouch. A couple of years back my pouch was getting heavy so I sold about 35 plain gold wedding bands for bullion weight. Like most of you, I'm not in it for the money. It's the hunt that I truly enjoy. Now on to the heart of my post. No one has approached me about finding this last ring nor have I put the word out that I have this "whopper". It's been two weeks now but, I am sure eventually this summer someone will walk up to me in the water and inquire about this particular ring. It has always been an easy decision in the past to look for the owners of class rings. There was no large monetary value involved and I knew they'd get a kick out of getting their class ring returned. Unfortunately when probably 6 to 8 grand is involved in a find then one starts to think a little differently. I never dreamed that such a find would cause such mixed emotions. I will not hide from you what I have decided to do. Drum roll please..... The question of ownership to me is indisputable because I have the ring in my pouch at home. That is also where I intend it to stay until my wife either decides she wants to wear it or I decide to sell it. Bottom line, the ring is mine to do with as I please. Would love to hear what everyone else has to say. You may fire when ready, Gridley. Sorry for the long post.

Well, I'm with you in-so-far as it's YOURS to do with as you please. So is the way with EVERYTHING we find.

That said, if somebody were to specifically inquire as to THAT ring (AND they could positively idendify it!!!) then ME PERSONALLY, I would feel inclined to return it.

But I will also tell you that I wouldn't break my a$$ to find the owner. If the owner came to ME, AND if I were in the mood, AND if the attitude were right on the "loser" end, I would probably return it.

Somewhere in there is the fact that I paid $1095 for my machine AND that I am frequently out on the beach at 3:30am looking for your sorry-a$$ jewelry...so I can give it back to you??? Heh...MAYBE! :)

That's a tough one for me. I'd like to say I'd give it back, but if I were to be honest, I've been given wrong change in my favor twice before; one time I gave it back, the other time I didn't. I felt guilty when I didn't give it back, and still do when I think about it now, but I am $20 richer. I'd probably have to give the ring back though, if someone asked about it and could prove it were theirs. It would likely have great sentimental value to them. I don't think I'd go so far as to place a "found" ad in the paper, though.

Bill, I just hope I have your dilemma some day, I guarantee you that they would have to prove to me 100% that the ring is theirs. If you look into the local paper archives you may find something in the lost adds. Good Luck :shrug:

Congrats on your find Bill..

More than likely that ring was insured and if the owner was compensated for the ring then getting the ring back in my opinion would be fraud that is if they keep the money... A couple years ago I know of someone around here that found a $45,000 dollar ring and gave it to his wife, I wish I found it... I'd be going to Disneyland lol...

Just last month I tried returning a ring but had no luck as the entire family is MIA somewhere... most of my school rings are so old that I'm sure their owners are dead...

1. It would have been insured and they more than likely collected the cash by now.
2. They would have hired a diver with a metal detector to find it.
3. It may be a throwaway in a fit of anger and they just don't want it.

Now, if you put the word out for 2 weeks and haven't heard a peep then keep quiet and keep the ring before you have wackos knocking at your door.

If they could give proper identification I would give the ring back. On the other hand, I would not put a ad in the paper . If they want to find it, then let them put in the time and expense to do it. After all, they lost it not you.

As you stated, only one time was someone grateful enough to give you a small reward. So I wouldn't be out any expense on finding an owner.

On that particular ring, if they had the money to buy that in the first place, they probably just turned around and bought a better one. Like another poster said, insurance has probably paid them by now.

Enjoy the ring or the money! It is not like we don't work for what we get and have our own expense tied up in fuel, knowledge, and detectors. If the true owner shows up before you sell it, then in my case, I would return it.

Otherwise, let the good times roll!

HH Alton

[quote Mike (Virginia Beach)]Well, I'm with you in-so-far as it's YOURS to do with as you please. So is the way with EVERYTHING we find.

That said, if somebody were to specifically inquire as to THAT ring (AND they could positively idendify it!!!) then ME PERSONALLY, I would feel inclined to return it.

But I will also tell you that I wouldn't break my a$$ to find the owner. If the owner came to ME, AND if I were in the mood, AND if the attitude were right on the "loser" end, I would probably return it.

Somewhere in there is the fact that I paid $1095 for my machine AND that I am frequently out on the beach at 3:30am looking for your sorry-a$$ jewelry...so I can give it back to you??? Heh...MAYBE! :)[/quote]

I have to agree 100%....

you Know it's funny...... After you return a found ring people are like well here's $10-$20.00.. Thanks........................................................

It's my opinion they should give you 50% of whats its worth it it were to be resold.... If they liked or wanted it back.......
Keep in mind these are most likely the People that sneer and sinker at you as they watch you diggin down the bch.......

The jokes on you in there book till They loose something of theirs...

I've yet to be able to return a wedding ring.
Always look in the local newspaper lost&found
section of the classified after I find one.
Its free to put an ad in that section,
but rarely do ring losers use it.

Its a sad thing when you find a ring someone
wore for 20 years and they don't place an ad.
What can you do? Nothing, other than keep it
and hope someone asks about it someday.
I've yet to sell a ring I've found.

I've yet to face the dilemma of finding a giant whopper.
I'd say if no one makes an effort to find it
after a year, its yours guilt free.

Are you having a conscience issue, with keeping it Bill? Keep it, enjoy it and don't worry about it. As you saw, you only got 1 thank you? WOW! Such lack of appreciation, would merit very little effort on the part of a hard working pirate, to return anything. Just my pirate take, painful, but piratical!
[attachment 62311 emblem.JPG]
GH

Or so I've read before. It's a lot cheaper than replacing a major ring.
What would I do?? Well, suffice it to say that my wife would be one very thrilled lady, and the fat cat that lost it could go crying to her insurance company. Thats my position.

There's really not alot you can do imho. You could post an add in the local lost & found, but you'll be inviting every Tom, Dick and Harry to contact you. Not to mention the fact that assume the person who lost it gave a description of it to someone(s) else in the area in a story that they lost it - all the person would have to do is give you the same description and claim to be the owner.

I can honestly say that I would certainly check local lost and found adds in the paper for a few weeks, but beyond that, without markings I wouldn't do much more than that.

On a side note, I know this isn't really an anonymous forum, so any answers to my question will be suspect I suppose, but....

If there is a name, serial number or other definite identifying mark in a piece of jewelry you find (regardless of the value of the item), I'm curious how many detectorists would truly take the time to find the owner.

I know that personally, for me, I wouldn't be able to keep a piece of jewelry in my collection that I know I didn't make an honest effort to find the owner when there are markings that would make the search more easy than say looking in lost and found adds. It would make no difference to me what the value of the item.

Just as an example, I'm still trying to trace down an owner of a 1954 class ring I found in a local swimming area - all I have to go on is the name of the HS, the size of the ring (assuming female) and the color of the stone (hoping it's a birthstone). I've been trying to narrow it down via an alumni source for about a year now. Odds are I'll be giving up soon, but at least I tried.

Considering there were over 500 graduates of the HS that year, most of the women have married names making it difficult to even trace them, and at that age the person could even be deceased by now - it was a longshot trying to find the owner, but I feel better knowing I'm making an effort.

On the other end of the spectrum - I know folks who have found items with names or serial numbers engraved in who consider it to be their property now.

To each his or her own I guess.

I may sound to much like a pirate but I do this to find treasure! I am in no way a recovery service for hire. Theres no telling who's it was. But I know its yours now congrats!

Last week I made the find of a lifetime, and very close to home. It's a ladies wedding ring that was appraised at 18000 dollars, so I figure it's really worth between 6 to 8 grand. Found it in a lake that I frequent that has only a few places that boats gather at on weekends. No one has approached me about finding this last ring nor have I put the word out that I have this "whopper".
It's been two weeks now but, but I am sure eventually this summer someone will walk up to me while I am in the water and inquire about this particular ring.
Unfortunately when probably 6 to 8 grand is involved in a find then one starts to think a little differently. I never dreamed that such a find would cause such mixed emotions. I will not hide from you what I have decided to do.... The question of ownership is indisputable - I have the ring in my pouch at home. That is where I intend it to stay until my wife either decides she wants to wear it or I decide to sell it. Bottom line, the ring is mine to do with as I please.
Do you always give back every single one you can?

I agree with your assessment of the situation in the main. I also see a chance to vacillate a little here.

If it is a whopper as you say and worth a lot of money, then we need some real proof of ownership here. Word is probably out in an exclusive boating community and it's real easy for someone to know about the ring, or spot a 'lost and found' ad... then see you out detecting, and then hit you up. It may be that the rightful owner comse forth. You have to make that call.

When someone asks if I found anything, I say,
"Why did you lose something?"
Usually they answer no and I retort with, "Oh, so that's why Im not finding anything!" That rarely fails to get me an odd look.

Some are cagey and will say, "Why, what did you find?" When that happens I dig deep in the old pouch and show them the trash-eroo.

If they say something vague and generic, I say, "Well, if I find it, I'll let you know."

If the answer is spot on, ie, carat, cut, metal type, location, etc. then I would start probing for more information. Eventually, I might reach a point where I would make arrangements, although I dont think I would let on initially that I had found anything.

I would also accept a reward if I returned it.

I have no trouble keeping random, common pieces of jewelry. Hey, they're lost, the owner has reconciled that in their own way and I found it. The Law of Finders Keepers prevails. If you choose instead to return it, no one will fault you. In the end, only you have to live with your choice.

I'm currently trying to find a lost platinum ring for a guy who went to the trouble of placing an ad to try to rent an underwater detector and offering a reward for the ring. The guy is trying at least, though he's not very bright if he wears platinum into the surf at Horseshoe Bay.
I've found lots of nice rings with initials and dates engraved inside them off of hotel beaches and I've contacted the hotel to see if they could help reunite the ring with the guest who lost it. No luck so far in making a return but I made an effort to make a return when there was a chance.
No ID engravings, then they are out of luck in my books. I found it, it's mine, period, full stop.
The fact that you even asked the question shows that you are a good, honest person with a conscience albeit a misplaced conscience. You didn't steal this ring you retrieved it from the water where it was lost forever until you came along swinging your machine and utilizing your talent.
Your conscience should be clear on this one.

Cheers,

BDA:cool: