Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

discriminat iron

Kevin just a suggestion that some not all will agree with. If you drop your volume gain to about 26 the deep nails will not sound as good yet the deep coins will still come through good and will sound deeper than the shallow targets, also set your threshold tone to 1 with your limits to 30 this will give you the widest variation of tones. With this set-up I can tell the difference most times in silver dimes and silver quarters from clad dimes and clad quarters by tone alone. You'll be able to tell the difference in a deep nail and a deep coin.

i will put the settings there and check it out tomorrow at the park. thanks for all the input, maybe tomorrow i will be able to post some silver.

kevinslack, Wish we were closer. I live north of Denver in Brighton. I just got my Etrac in Dec. last year and I have dug lots of iron too but everything I've read in this thread seems to be very good advice along with Andy's book. Sometimes I hunt in Iron mask and watch the numbers and listen to the sounds closely. They are alot more accurate than my DFX is. I have hunted in areas where it is thawed a little and have 2 silver dimes and 3 wheats so far this year. At least it doesn't sem to have the learning curve of the DFX. Hang in there and PM me sometime if you are up this way.

Jay

Or I could dig only bottle caps if so desired.. They ID way lower right where very little else that is worthwhile rings up. I was/am very frustrated that this is a problem with the F-75; didn't know this was a problem with most other detectors. Some locations this is not an issue but other places can drive you nuts. And not only bottle caps but any round shaped iron/steel. And yes there are subtle hints that it is a cap, but not 100% by any means.

Chris

I agree Chris, we came across a couple of bottle caps the other day that sounded so nearly identical to 2 10c coins we found nearby that we laid them out and listened to them. My friends comment was that maube Franz Schubert could tell the difference if he didnt know which was which, but for the rest of us.... just dig lol

I thought nails (and other trash) were just part of the game no matter what detector you use? I mean how do people find gold rings without digging a pull tab or two (or a thousand)!! How do you find deep silver without digging a rusty nail every now and then?

moseng said:
I thought nails (and other trash) were just part of the game no matter what detector you use?

True, but some detectors discriminate it better than others. My V discriminates deep iron better than the ET while at the same time picking out coins near iron just as well.

I'm NOT saying the V is better with deep iron. I'm saying you hear it less. The V will usually completely null on deep iron (if you're setting are right) while the ET you need to discriminate with your ears/brain more. The V does more of the work for you.

Yes I understand RacerX, but tell me you still dig a nail or :pulltab: every once in a while? :bouncy: Maybe we'll meet hunting sometime? I'd like to take a look at the V!

ok thanks for the tip's i will go back to auto sensitivity to see if it helps me. auto sensitivity will only put out about 14 where i hunt. i only used auto sensitivity for acouple of days then went into manual sensitivity and ran it up high and kept it there. but it must be to much power for me right now. so i will go back to auto sensitivity so i can learn what its saying before i take the manual sensitivity back up.