Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Did I make a mistake?

Also, I've been reading that a smaller coil might be a good investment... should I start with a smaller coil say the 6"?

If you're in the NE PA area and want a hunting partner I'd be happy to get together.

Thanks DukeOBass... I am only up there a couple times a year when my wife visits her family. Bradford Co. I wouldn't mind moving up there if I ever hit the lotto though.

I was digging an old town dump up in Canton for the past 3 summers. Got some good old bottles.

Smaller than 8 is really for picking through trash, 8 is just the right size for the all around coil and way easier to learn on and much lighter than the ten. The ten is to big in most places and not many can swing it cause of it's weight at first.

I don't think I'll have any probs swinging any size coil, I feel I'm in pretty good shape. The thing is, I can buy a new 6" from the company I bought the SE from for about $100. I don't know if they'd sell me a 8" for the same...(guess I could ask.). Maybe I can find a used one in new condition. Thanks Digitrich. Also, DukeOBass... Canton IS the town my inlaws live in. We visit up there usually twice maybe three times a year. Maybe we can meet and hunt sometime when I'm visiting. Thanks to everyone!! HH

n/t

I like a 6" coil on a faster machine like the Tejon but the 8" is better on the SE. I have learned this from experience. I bought a new SE and since SR does not have coils available I ordered a 6" EXcellerator coil when I ordered the SE, two different dealers but I got the coil before the SE actually. Anyway, I am not happy with the 6" coil for the SE, I mean it works and everything but I wish I had just bought a ML 8" with an extra lower rod, and for that matter an upper rod too.

I wish SR would hurry and get their cable problem solved. I wonder if some larger company is pressuring the company who make's the coil cable to drag their feet and not supplu SR with cable. It just seem's weird that SR is having such a hard time getting cable.

J

i live near hoover resivoir, and would like to have a hunting partner.

I just found out that there are a couple of OLD trash dumps on my wifes fathers farm. He owns about a hundred acres on top of a mountain in PA... now I'm getting more excited to start hunting!! :detecting: :clapping: :super:

from experience with the Sovereign I would suggest a SunRay coil but they are out of production right now due to a cable supplier not meeting their needs. The Minelab 8" coil is probably a fine coil too and I think you can get it with an extra lower rod. I want one too but I want both an extra upper and lower shaft for ease of change.

I think that the Minelab 8" coil is cheaper than the SR but the SR is lighter. I know the SR S-12 that they make for the Sovereign is lighter than the Minelab 10" coil.

J

see if you can find a copy of andy sabbisch's book "mastering the explorer s and xs".this gives a lot of good basic info on operation of explorer (helped me a lot) even though you're swinging the se a lot of information in book will still apply to your newer model...good luck

Yea, I hunted a cornfield with the ML 8 yesterday and you betcha, that thing is way heavier than the SR 8 and what doesn't make sense is it's smaller than the Sun Ray 8. The Sun Ray 8 got better separation too. Anyone want to buy a ML 8?

Yeah BABY!! The Eagle has landed!! My SE arrived today... after a little trouble from the delivery company. It was delivered to an address that I haven't lived in for 4 years!! Luckily, it was still on the patio where they dropped it off at. Had to make 4 phone calls and have my wife run over there to check for it. I would've been really upset had it gotten lost. But now when I get home I'll read the manual (again, for about the 5th time) then hopefully I'll get some time next month to try it out. I'll be sure to make a post of how things go, and show some pics IF I find ANYTHING. Wish me luck!! HH:detecting:

It's heavier than the sun ray 8, my arm knows it. and it doesn't get as good separation, if I never had a sunray 8 I'd think the ML was great.:drinking: