Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Did I just wast my money??

Yes you wasted your money if you don't plan to spend some quality time learning the equipment. If your intentions are to just go out a swing for loose change, then I would not suggest investing a lot of money in a md. However, if that's the case, then any $30 md will do the job. But I hope you have a strong back. Hang in there Bro! :)

From what I can tell you probably wasted about $100 to $150 more than you should have paid.
Apparently its not that bad a machine considering what you get.
My advice, for what it's worth,is just go out and enjoy yourself and stop worrying about how
much you over paid.:sadwalk: Have fun!!!!!!:wiggle::clapping: Dance and clap your hands. Now I am going
back to bed!:goodnight:

RR

Oh Gosh Mudlizard...

It's called 'buyer's remorse.'

I've seen it many times when people purchased big ticket items, like automobiles.
Some get very sad and actually depressed, some get mad and angry.

I would say don't fall into that trap.
It will take all the fun out of a new tool.

Persistence will get you more treasure than anything, in this biz.

Just get out there and sweep up a tornado!
Dig a gazillion targets!

That nice machine will pay for itself and you can move on to something else with a smile, if you choose to.
HH
rmptr

Lots of good feedback. I have the next week off and will be using it heavily during my time off. The I am going to Myrtle Beach in June and am going to take it there with me for a couple days. I should get a good idea of what I have after all that. Thanks for all the good words from everybody. Hopefully I can post a pic of some good finds.

Reminds me of when i was 10 years old. I had no idea how to drive, but i knew i wanted a lamborghini. If you have to settle for the lexus, thats fine. Mudlizard knowing what you're doing with the P5 is far more dangerous, a far bigger threat, a much more efficient detectorist than someone who flunked out of nightschool classes for their DFX. Or keep throwing a fit, sell the P5, buy a more expsensive whites, and be happy with that (until you read the ML forum and read about their depth, then you once again feel inferior.)

I'VE NOTICED THAT YOU CAN GET A NEW PRISM V FOR $499.95,NO TAX,NO SHIPPING. I'M LOOKING FOR A LIGHT WEIGHT BACK UP MACHINE. IF NOT THE PRISM,WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMMEND? THANK YOU.

[quote patch]JUST CURIOUS,HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR IT? I WAS THINKING OF GETTING ONE FOR A BACK UP MACHINE.[/quote]

I hate to say it outloud but I paid $550 for it. Thats with tax an everything. Bought it at a hobby store. I have been using it and am getting much more familiar with it. Its a challenge some times, I guess thats how you learn. Still a fun hobby. The anticipation of the "find" is worth the time going out and playing with it.

So just get out and start hunting. You can find that amount in a month or two. And maybe even a gold ring or two!

The only question that matters is...Do you think you wasted your money????

I loved my old generation Whites metal detectors. LOVED 'em. That's why I never considered any other brand when I decided to get back to the hunt after 15+ years out of the hobby. I'm sad to say, I am very disappointed in my Prizm IV. 10% my fault for not researching it and 90% the retailers fault for A. Not knowing what he's talking about and B. Convincing me he actually DOES know what he's talking about. And he has a no return policy. I will be calling Whites about this particular dealer. The Prizm series are toys. They seem to be no better than a Radio Shack'er or Walmart'er for $89 bucks or so. I am NOT a beginner, so I'm ashamed of myself for not asking questions. No tunability, sporadic signals (unless you're at 100% discrimination) and very unreliable coin ID and depth (not that I'd ever rely on them anyway). In my opinion, (sorry to say) yes, you've wasted your money. Find yourself an old Coinmaster D or Di series.

I think it may have been a bit overpriced, but I doubt it is wasted money. All metal detectors do the essentially the same thing: they find metal. Some just do it with more sensitivity, more efficiently or more conveniently with lots of bells and whistles, but all will find metal. I use a White's MXT mostly now, but I hunted for years with a little Bounty Hunter Lone Star and loved it. That little cuss was a clad and nickel magnet! And in the process of finding all those nickels I found a goodly share of gold rings and other jewelry, so before I gave it to a friend it undoubtedly paid for itself several times over. My point is that with lots of practice and getting to know your machine's "language" you will consistently do better than the guy who goes out and buys the best detector around but never learns how to use it.

Hang in there, get to know it well and after it has paid for itself then you will feel better about getting one better suited for whatever type of hunting you like best.

Marc

Just bought a used Whites M-6..paid $430.00 shipped...still has 18 months warranty on it..love it...easy to operate.

just my 2 cents!

Jeff

Just got out today with my Prizm V for the 1st time. Bought it over the winter at a decent price (I think). Just trying to get back into detecting after 15 years or so, my last MD was a Bounty Hunter which I had good luck and memories with (That's all that counts!!) Hit the local school, figured out some of the sounds and brought back $2.50 + in clad and a silver ring. I think the Prizm will do fine for a while. Maybe at this rate another 199 days and I'll trade in my clad for an M6, should be about time :)
Happy hunting!!
BTW beware of the .25/.50 pc at 4" ====== coke can at 6", doh !!!!!

I read your post about the prizm being a toy, I have been using a white 6000 Di series 111 finding coins at about 6". My prizm 11 will hit on a quarter about 8'', it will detect coins deeper than it can id them, also hunt coins with a fisher gold bug. I hunt with the prizm 11 in the all metal mode and yes I dig alot of junk as I do when I hunt coins with the fisher gold bug but in with all that junk is some nice coins and tokens. about my white 6000 had it sence 1986 works great still a great coin an relic hunter the best I think.

Whoever called the prizm series a toy doesn't really know what they are talking about.

I have a prizm II and have found 3 coins from the 1800's, a freemasons badge dated from the 1880's to 1920's. I have also found about
$40 dollars in clad in the first 3 months that I have been detecting with it.

So NO you didn't waste your money. Get out there and find stuff.

Thanks

Ken Fleenor