Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep Targets

RogerN

I'm a new Spectra V3 owner, detectors I owned years ago just made some noise around metal, toys with no discrimination controls or anything. Anyway, I tried digging a few targets I couldn't reach, they'd show maybe 3 inches, but after a foot or so, no find and detector showed metal still in hole. So tonight I had this happen, got out the post hole digger and found something to big to come up the hole about maybe 3' underground. I think it may be a pipe but it doesn't detect very far lengthwise. Oh well, at least post hole diggers work well for digging deep!

Is the trowel the main tool used for digging deep (8"-12") holes? Some sort of mini digger similar to a post hole digger would be nice.

RogerN

Some use: EZ Plugger
http://jimmysierra.com/newproductsC.html

Or

The Plug Popper
http://jimmysierra.com/tools_plugpopperC.html

Jerry

I get by with a lesche,but if you want Roger,I can probably get you a pretty good deal on a mini excavator.:biggrin:

Its A SMALL TREASURE CHEST.

BHNugget said:
I get by with a lesche,but if you want Roger,I can probably get you a pretty good deal on a mini excavator.:biggrin:

I have an old Case Backhoe, I guess that would work! ;)

RogerN

teckpro said:
Its A SMALL TREASURE CHEST.

I visited my Dad last night and mentioned about how some people used to bury their money in their yard, he told me that my great uncle used to put money in galvanized pipe and bury it in the ground. I'm not sure who owns that property now but I'd like to try out my V3 there!

RogerN

From Predator Tools

I like the Relic Pro model:

80T.jpg

I use a 2' spade from Tractor Supply Company. $15 and it's going strong after a year of hard use. I can actually make a neater hole in a yard with that tool than I can trying to dig one with a leshce!

I use a small digging Lesche digging shovel and the blade is almost as small as the digger we all use---I can flatten out my plug so it hardly shows--So I dig a hole Smaller than the standard Lesche digger also !

deathwind1 said:
I use a small digging Lesche digging shovel and the blade is almost as small as the digger we all use---I can flatten out my plug so it hardly shows--So I dig a hole Smaller than the standard Lesche digger also !

Where'd you pick that up at? Sounds like a good thing to have.

I've had a couple finds I try to dig but can't locate. I dig a hole 2+ feet deep, the detector pinpoints right over the hole but nothing is there. Could other metal in the area be throwing the pinpoint feature off?

RogerN

I've had a couple finds I try to dig but can't locate. I dig a hole 2+ feet deep, the detector pinpoints right over the hole but nothing is there. Could other metal in the area be throwing the pinpoint feature off?

I've had that happen, a lot, and generally found two different causes. First is a large very deep target which I determine by lifting the coil to see how high the signal can be obtained. If I can lift the coil 6" or more and still get the target I assume its a deep large piece of junk. Second I have that my pinpointing was off and the good target was off to the side. I have learned to not give up on what sounds like a good target but not found at the depth expected. I've dug many good coins after I was about to give up, and decided to dig just a bit further.

I've had where a good target and a bad target that has been discriminated out are close to each other. For one reason or another, the pinpoint will pinpoint toward the bad target more so than the good causing me to dig in the wrong direction. In your case it sounds like there may be something in the side of the hole at depth or, as stated by others, something even deeper yet. Sometimes thats where a handheld pinpointer can come in handy.

I've also noticed a phenomenon where an iron target can give a good repeatable reading when the coil is passed back and forth and the target is actually just at the fringes of the detection field. Sad part is that on rarer occasion, the good reading quite close to the nulled target is actually a good target as stated above. I end up digging a lot of iron that way. :stretcher: I'm slowly learning to be able to tell the difference and that is where the V3 shines once it's learned, picking the good from the bad.

Downdeep said:
I've also noticed a phenomenon where an iron target can give a good repeatable reading when the coil is passed back and forth and the target is actually just at the fringes of the detection field. Sad part is that on rarer occasion, the good reading quite close to the nulled target is actually a good target as stated above.

When you find that happening, run your loop over the suspect area from many different angles. If there's really a good target there, you'll get a response from mulitple angles. If it's just the iron, the "good" target will only respond on a particular angle. I have yet to dig a good target that didn't respond on multiple angles.

I thought about putting that exact advice but had left before I could edit. I've found that to be true and have been trying to perfect reading what the machine says so I don't miss anything. As it stands now, anything questionable I still dig.

RogerN said:

RogerN

I am discovering that the V3 is more sensitive to very small targets than other White's detectors. These tiny targets will read much deeper than they actually are. For example, tiny cuff buttons will indicate a depth of 3 or 4 inches, when they are actually on, or just under the surface. By flipping over the plug, they fall out of range, therefore becoming invisible to the V3. Try flipping the plug back over, so that it is upright (grassy side up) and see if it responds.

The problem with that tool Beep is I would also need better glasses, longer pinpointer, longer sleeved gloves or... a decent step ladder! One of those is a must have for some kinds of hunting for sure.