Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ3D Discrimination

Big Max

Posting for a friend w/o Internet. He got his CZ3D about 4-5 months ago and is having a difficult time with his machine's settings. He says he's having a hard time discriminating the type of clad found. Any advice is welcome advice! Also what kind of setting he should use to get depth without sacraficing descrimination? He's willing to try anything now! I believe he is using all the standard stuff that comes with the unit.

Is you friend wanting to knock out the Zinc's, is he having trouble with Nickels, or does he want to tell Dimes from Quarters before he digs?

I use a CZ-5, not a 3D, but, it's basically the same unit, at least in SALT mode. I usually hunt with my Sens. at 5. Tom Dankowski has said many times that Sens. at 4 1/2 is your best bet, you get maximum depth with discrimination while not having to worry about target masking as much as you with a high Sens.

HH from Allen in OK

Hi Allen,

I believe he's looking to score more on the quarters, dimes and nickels and of course the older silver era stuff. Says he wants to leave the Zincs for the future detectorists(yr 2525). I'm pretty new to coinshootin' and it's eating him up that my new detector is kickin' his twenty five years of experience. After all he got me started in coinshooting about a month and a half ago. Apparently he's not on the right track to getting familiar with his detector. As I mentioned befare any advice would be greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

HH- Max

The ENHANCED mode will shift the meter facets around a bit, making newer Nickels come in as Tabs, and boost Zinc's up into the High Coin range. Tell your buddy to hunt in SALT mode, as that will put modern Nickels in the Nickel slot, and Zincs in the Zinc slot.

ENHANCED mode should really only be used when you're at an area that's older than 1950, and also has relatively little or no aluminum junk in the ground.

The past several years have given me a strong dislike for Zincs as well. Since I'm usually hunting in the water with my CZ-20, or old scraped lots, I'll go after Zinc's, as I've found two large gold rings that come in SOLID Zinc, and numerous IH's and crusty-corroded Wheat's, all of which come in Zinc.

HH from Allen in OK

hi allen!
i am curious as well as very interested!..since just about every were here in new england there are sites that are old as sin,how would you suggest one hunt these sites if EVERY one of them is "full" of aluminum with the cz3d?..i have been hunting a long time,and am wondering if the cz3d will give me an edge when coin shooting "old" sites that ARE STILL in use today!..i would love to purchase one to find out,but i am afraid i am letting myself in for being disappointed while using the enhanced mode!..would you suggest JUST hunting church grounds and old picnic groves instead?..it appears to me that the 3d would be VERY frustrating to use every where else!

regards!
j.t.

I lived up in Michigan for four years. There were some nice older sites around, but like yours, were still in use in modern times. The result, lots and lots of can slaw and tabs.

[quote jmaryt]but i am afraid i am letting myself in for being disappointed while using the enhanced mode!..would you suggest JUST hunting church grounds and old picnic groves instead?..it appears to me that the 3d would be VERY frustrating to use every where else![/quote]

That basically hits the nail on the head. You would have to just buckle down and dig all the junk out, as well as the goodies. If you have an area like that that you can do a LOT of digging at, try staking out a small area, say, 10 x 10', and just make a day of it, literaly digging everything that hits above iron, regardless of depth and size, and some of the bigger, shallower iron hits as well. Unmask the test plot, and see what's beneath. You might get something good, then again, you might not.

Maybe you can research some old "rural post offices", that were usually operating in someone's store, or other businesses, like a sawmill, or a railroad depot that's out in the sticks a bit. Lakeside resorts are great, provided they haven't been covered with modern houses. If you have a water-proof detector, try hunting the old swimming area for a lakeside resort. You can also try to find the old swimming holes. Here's a good website that can help you find those:

http://www.swimmingholes.org/

HH from Allen in OK

thanks allen for making a positive point!..it wasn't my intention to be so negative!..i am just alittle pissed off .t.because apparently nasa tom must think we are all basically idiots,if he thinks an application like the cz3d can actually work in aforementioned environments!..surely you do NOT need adegree in common sense to understand that EVERYWHERE is covered in modern trash,regardless of age!..apparently just another sucker's game to make money!..allen!..thanks for the water tips,however i am strictly a land man!..love to borrow one though to see IF it COULD make a difference at a virgin OLD site that is devoid of aluminium!.wish me luck!...i'm gonna need a lot of it!

(h.h!)

j.t.

Example: nickle tone in enhanced,flip switch if you get a deep tinfoil beep dig the target. If you get high tone silver target in enhanced flip the sw to salt and you get a Zinc and it is a shalow target it is most likley a Zinc. Sort of like a little reverse dis. thinking. SAy you get a Zinc in enhanced flip sw. to salt and you get the relic tone and the target is deep dig it. Wheat or indian. You just got to flip the sw. when you are in a new old area. If you are in a old area just put it to Enhanced and dig all the high tone target beeps. Read the Nasa Tom reports on how to use the machine. I have dug one hell of a lot of old coins in those kinds of places. You just got to think outside the box and keep in mind what this machine was built to do. It will hunt in a new area also just flip the sw to salt and you are back to a CZ5. You have two completely different machines in the CZ3D. 2 machines in one. Pluse it works great on a salt water wet sand beach just like all CZ do. I love my CZ3D and it ain't going no where. Hope this helps. :D: :D: Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

Jerry is correct, it is like having two different detectors and each mode does have its time and place. Yes, many of the pre 50's sites do contain a good bit of modern trash and if simply to much, that is where the "salt" mode comes in. The ENHANCED mode, however, does work and there are many places everywhere that it can be used and utilized. The "fringe" areas (less trashy) of old parks, fairgrounds and so on, are such places, as exhamples. I, too, will not part with my cz3d. HH jim tn

hi tinfoil!
sounds like you have to play with it a lot!..thats ok though if it nails the deep old stuff!..originally i believe nasa tom's set up instructions went like this:..turn on detector,set ground balance,switch toggle to enhanced mode,then dig ALL high tones!..to be honest i THOUGHT that WAS just a little too simple!..(h.h!)

j.t.

yes i can understand your point of view,and even if i sound too PESSIMISTIC in my view,i have to tell you that the "light" trash sites tou refer to,ARE VERY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN!.please understand that all areas of the country MAY be different,but around here,they simply are NOT to be found!..possibly some so called "fringe" areas of parks,may have LESS trash,however still enough to pose afomidable challenge to the "enhanced" mode of a cz 3d!..areas that come to mind that ARE relatively "modern" trash free would be church grounds,and also "old" picnic areas in the woods!you state that it is basicaly two detectors in one!..well that is awonderful,and "HOPEFULLY" useful
benefit,however if the enhanced mode is very difficult to use in these environments,thenone must switch to the "salt" mode in order to have a successful hunt!..if someom=ne is switching to "salt" mode all the time,then why not just buy the cz5,and hunt with that?..it still appears to me that to just turn it on,pick pre-50's sites,switch to "enhanced" mode and dig all high tones,which is exactly what tom says you are to do in the MANUAL,then i have to believe that is just NOT an effective strategy in "high" trash environments which ARE every where "REGARDLESS" of age!....(h.h!)

j.t.

You have to do the sw. flipping if you are in the new /Old stuff. Most of the older stuff is deeper but not always. All of Tom's articles are excellent reading and he really know the Fisher machines. I have read all of his stuff many times. I just wonder what he thinks of the new F75? There are so many tricks to learn when you are using the Fishers especially when you are in the iron trash. Just takes time reading and hunting. :D: :D: :thumbup: Later Jerry aka Tinfoil.

yes that is true!..tinfoil!..you have to read between the lines!..so to speak!..however as we both know he MAY have meant that,however the manual IS straight forward in stating the use indtructions for the cz 3d,and that IS exactly what he said in the manual!..i have read all his material,and you are correct in that it is ALL very educational,and should be considered required reading for any detectorist!...(h.h!)

j.t.

throwing caution to the wind,i would recommend he sell it,and purchase the new f-75!..(h.h

j.t.

Wow!! Speaking of common sense, a little bit of research before buying a detector goes a long way. The material available from Fisher and NASA Toms articles are very plain in describing the intended application of the CZ-3D.
There is no magic wand that only pulls what you want out of the ground especially when after the older deeper coins regardless of the type or age of the site. To post sour grapes because you screwed up in your decision on what machine to buy is simply putting the blame in the wrong place.

Tom

hi jack pine!
i DID my reaserch and THAT research IS WHY i didn't buy one!.as i stated UNLESS you are in a CLEAN site,then it's a waste of time! COMMON SENSE would indicate you use the cz-5 when encountering those conditions!.that IS what i said,AND what i MEANT!...(h.h!)

j.t.

Then why the bashing in your post that I replied to? Are you frustrated that the machine does not suit your conditions and hunting style so feel you had to vent against Tom D?

Switching to salt mode on the 3D has very little if any affect on its coin hunting abilities. If you are hunting sites with modern trash and old coins using the CZ-5 and want to get the old coins you should be digging a fair amount of trash type signals or you will miss many coins (IH's, old nickels ect). You could also keep the volume out of the boost area on the 3D and just go for the deeper sounding signals. Those should always be dug regardless of the site or detector used. But you probably know all this anyway.

Tom

A CZ is one of the few units I know of where high discrimination does not hurt depth, matter of fact got some of my deepest silver discriminating out everything except coins all( cherrypicking)..
Two schools of thought on sens. settings as some say put it at 4 and leave it there, myself if I can get it to 6 or even 8 while having a
a quiet unit...as far as 10 goes those areas are far and few between.

Your unit is sort of two units in one regular(salt) and advanced..
New areas use the regular and extremely old areas use the advanced.
Now if you hit an old area still be used all depends on how much junk and digging you can tolerate, but if if it is just an old area advanced mode may get you extra oddball coins lost in the regular mode.
Because of the above sure the facets may differ relative coins in either mode but after a while you should be able to know what your after when digging..Nasa Tom explains it in full and will try to find the proper site if I can and pass it on to you..
All comes down to when to use either mode but each will excell if used properly and for gosh sakes don't change modes on each target to compare as it may further confuse you....