Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coyote! ..................

Kelley (Texas)

Most cattlemen have little use for the coyote and will shoot one when given the opportunity. They are not friends of the cattleman and cause much damage.

The coyote is the smaller version of the wolf and will range over most of the United States. They will even live in large parks like Central Park in New York City, or in green belts of cities in the mid-west. They will average approximately thirty to fifty pounds, and are either a grey or tan color depending where they are located. They can spot you moving your hand at a distance of a thousand yards and can smell you a mile away.

The modern coyote is slowly changing their hunting style. They use to hunt alone or with a mate, but now have been seen hunting in packs, often hunting larger animals. They are fast, can attain a speed of around forty miles per hour, and they will use this speed to "run down" their prey.

Ranchers do not like the coyote because of the damage they can inflict on their cattle business. Many times a coyote will wait for the cow to give birth, then attack the cow while she is in the act of giving birth. They will also attack and kill a calf under two hundred pounds. If you ever see a calf missing a tail, many times it has no tail because the tail was damaged when the calf escaped an coyote attack.

Most ranches have barn cats to control mice and snakes. Coyotes love to eat cats and will attack and kill the barn cats at night. If you are missing a barn cat, you can usually scout the area until, sure enough, you will spot some blood and fur...no more cat!

The coyotes will also tear up your garden, especially your water melon patch. Coyotes love water melons and will wreck your garden in a matter of hours.

It is seldom mentioned, but coyotes can be a danger to children. It is best to not leave young children unattended outdoors if you are living in an area infested with large packs of coyotes. I have not personally witnessed an attack on a child, but have read about it in the newspaper in the past.

I would like to mention the coydogs...a mix between a coyote and domestic dog. The coydog is something to reckon with if you encounter one...they are dangerous. They will attack a man under the right conditions. They can attain the weight of approximately ninety pounds and they do not fear man.

We handle the coyote problem in many ways...guard donkeys, guard dogs, and shooting them on sight. As a rule, when working out in the brush, we will always have a rifle in the scabbard attached to the saddle. When I use to work out in the brush, I always had a Marlin 30-30 rifle with me. I might add that we also carried the rifle to deal with feral hogs that would tear up the pastures.

Most folks may not know this, but if you kill a coyote you should hang the body from the fence. This will put the coyote on notice that they will be shot and this will work for about six months before you will have to shoot another one. Coyotes will get the message when they see the body hanging from the fence.

Goodness, while I could continue writing about the coyote, this subject may not be of interest to many folks, especially city folks that have more to fear from their neighbors dog than a coyote. My ranching days ended this past spring due to a minor health problem and we moved into the city. I must admit, I still feel that I do not belong here, but that is life and I will make the best of it. My heart is still back there in the brush country...always will be. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

They have been 'singing' a lot, lately. I have taken to carrying a 25-06 with me when I go ouit in the mule. The horses do not like them..

Calm seas, sunny skies

M

I was scouting the river and saw where some dummy had thrown a bottle out and it was on the two track I was driving. I stopped and got out to pick it up. As I did so I saw this poor puppy laying along the road. There was a hole as big as my fist on his off side.

[attachment 14751 cyoete.jpg]

I tossed it back in the brush and drove off but I got to thinking. I have always had an interest in everything about animals and have a small collection of skulls, deer, swan, cat etc. Ain't got no puppydog coyote though. I drove into town and bought a cheap hatchet and went back out to the puppydog and lopped of his head and tail.

I put them in a mesh bag and hung them in the woods for the birds and insects, come warmer weather, to clean up for me. There are a bunch of huge anthills in a neighbors lot and I will toss the bag on the pile come spring. Gonna be a trophy for sure!!

Mary does not think of it quite as I do, I am afraid. I should not have bragged about my treasure I guess......:super::super:

There is absolutely nothing boring about your life Fred and I learn something every time you post about it. I ain't never been a cowboy but you give me a feeling for it.

Thanks for the post

That would prevent some animal from stealing it from you. You can also store it in the freezer until spring. By all means, when spring comes, toss it on an ant hill, best way to clean it.

Say, how did you come about having a cat skull, or should I ask? :devil: Can I assume correctly that you do not have a bear skull? :rofl: Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

to their howling in the distance...note, I said in the distance! :lol: That 25-06 is a fun round to shoot, and it will really reach out there and nail a coyote.

Have you found any more arrowheads? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

A new Chinese cafe opened up the road a few months back, now all you see are "lost dog" or "lost cat" signs nailed to all the telephone poles around here. We even noticed that the dog catcher never comes in this area anymore, no stray dogs or cats to be seen. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

It's good to hear from you. Your post is most interesting. I have had occasion to shoot a coyote, the last of which was about three years ago. It--out of nowhere--charged my turkey decoys!

Not expecting the thing, I shot instinctively-at ten yards- and missed, just sending the arrow over its back! It did get the heck out of dodge.

It was the middle of winter-and I reckon it was hungry-even for rubber turkeys :lol:

I didn't know that they liked watermelons! Who woulda thunk it??

So good to hear from you. Hope you had a great Christmas/New years.

Lincoln said once: "A man is about as happy as he makes his mind up to be." (that's pretty close, anyway) <><

aj

(Phil 4:6)

I see coyotes here sometimes and hear them every night.While I have no livestock,I do have a small dog and know from experience that coyotes would make a meal of him.Your story reminds me of 2 different incidents I have had with coyotes in the past.I don't know if they will attack a man or not,but once while far back in the woods hunting mushrooms with my dog with me.We were followed and stalked by a large male coyote for a mile or farther.I was armed with only a short barreled .22 revolver at the time and I don't mind telling you me and the dog were BOTH scared out of our wits for a while.Maybe I will write a story about it when time permitts.Thank you for a very interesting story.

Being stalked by that coyote would be very exciting good reading...I assure you that the Forum would enjoy it. You have reminded me about the time that a pack of wild dogs stalked me when I was a boy and I was only armed with a single shot .22 rifle. I would like to share that story, but will wait until you post yours...fair enough? Dan, it is good seeing you post again! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

is very similar to the one that "Tater Top" use to say at the feed store: "A man is about as happy as he makes his mind up to be, but it always helps him to make up his mind when living in a ranch environment!"

Arkie John, you must have some great turkey decoys if a coyote attacked them...must have been kinda funny to watch. I assume that you never saw another turkey that day, right?

Has Tom ever mentioned coyotes trying to eat his chickens? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I hear tell that they have been seen on Mustang Island as well as Padre Island...there use to be lots of them around Sinton and Taft, Texas. Glad to see you posting, please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Not too long ago I was driving around here in my neck of the woods when all of a sudden I spotted a dead oyte hanging from a fence! I thought that that was kind of bizarre, but now I know why.

Thanks for the info!

Lil Brother:)

A coyote can climb a ten foot cyclone or game fence, eat a few chickens. A friend of mine, Calvin Baker, in Gonzales County, Texas use to raise chickens and the coyotes gave him a hard row to hoe. He finally shot a few and hung them from the fence...it worked for about six months, then he had to shoot a few more to buy another six months of peace. It does work! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

and remember that the first english words a chinese cook learns is "here kitty kitty", followed by "good dog":biggrin:
I am very busy but had time to read your story and gotta go again.

Wayne

We've got quite a few of those critters running around here too. They howl in back of my place during the winter nights. I've also seen a grey wolf within a couple of miles of my house. Do you have any wolves down your way?

Dave

I have suspected that some of the Coydog sightings have actually been sightings of Grey Wolves. We are starting to get a few Mexican Wolves up here, but not many. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

My job takes me all over South Texas and see them pretty much where ever I go...just saw a couple coyotes last week south of the house. If ya'll get more rain over there than you can handle, send some our way!!! This is the first time, that I know of, that they have issued a "statewide" burn ban. Keep the stories coming. Kieth