Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

COOL Coil ?

CROCK of COINS

Would it help to keep the coil COOL ? ? ?

I might try this: http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=118

Jerry

Are you referring to Colin's 6x10? It is white so it is already the best color for a heat problem. How do you think the product would keep it cooler? Rob

Just the color will help keep it cool. Just dealing with the BLACK coils.

Jerry

I have read a few posts indicating that heat accelerates the null drift of V rated coils. If that is true, then it stands to reason keeping coils cooler should slow down the null drift. Since black items absorb more heat than similar white items, Jerry seems to have a seriously good idea to paint the coils white. In fact, if heat is a real issue, it seems like the coils should start out with white housings.

Before you start painting your coils, there is another issue to consider. What will White

Quite a list of chemicals in that paint. If I were to do something like that I would look for something more natural, even washable. I have an idea for a product that would provide heat protection as a side benefit, but I'll keep that to myself for now :|

Acetone
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
Titanium Dioxide
Xylene
Naphtha
Toluene
Stoddard Solvents
Aromatic Hydrocarbon
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene
Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether
Ethylbenzene
Magnesium Silicate
N-Butyl Acetate
Pigment Red
Pigment Violet

Titanium and Magnesium are metals; here titanium is an oxide called 'titanium white' and magnesium is mineralized (talc)...don't know if they'd affect the field...probably not.

If some one has access to a infrared thermometer, take a reading of a white coil and a black coil :)

Jerry

If the coils need to be kept from getting too hot why are they black?? Does anyone think that the coil will get hotter in the back of my "extended cab" with the tinted windows than it will out in the sun hunting? My guess is that hunting in the sun will get the coil much hotter. So if heat is an issue... I don't see a way to resolve it if you hunt in the summer. I don't intend to paint my D2 white... maybe we need water cooled coils... laff.

I have carried my detectors in the extended cab for years with no problems, I don't know why the White's coils would be any different. Most of my hunting is done in the PM on a whim or when I have time and I never know what kind of site I will be hunting or what I will be hunting for so I carry several machines... so I will be ready. If I had to come home and get machines I would hardly ever hunt the places I find because it would add hours of driving in traffic. So, I cannot be worrying about the heat.

J

I'm not a Whites engineer, certainly not an expert on anything, but...common sense to me would indicate that it's probably temperature stability,
not necessarily just keeping a coil cool that is desirable. Materials contract and expand with temperature changes, of course, and
different materials react with different rates of expansion/contraction. Since the coil is an assembly of different materials, some expanding more
than others with temperature rise, the result would have to be a distortion of the windings which would certainly affect the coil's impedance
and null point. All that being said, I would think that putting your coil in the freezer could do as much damage as leaving it in the trunk of your car.
Maybe not. I guess that would also depend on the various materials' ability to return to original dimensions after the temperature was restored to
normal "room temperature". Has anyone noticed a problem when hunting in freezing weather? ....I mean a problem with your COIL, not your feet!

I think where you might want to look for heat is in the control box where the CPU's are doing there thing, im sure though those have a good heat sink on them, I have an HP Compaq PDA with built in TOM TOM GPS and have had it do a shut down do to heat from the dash of the car..........now days they not only use heat sinks with fins but also do a thermal connection to the housing itself like some of the new all metel laptops to get rid of heat

As far as I know, I have never heard of a control box or pod having trouble with the heat. The coil has been the bad guy.[attachment 164878 ani_einstein.gif]..........Rob