Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering Buying A - Spectra V3 ???

E-Trac-Ohio

Hi Guy's - A good friend of mine that goes hunting with me has a Titan 3000 and he's thinking about going for a serious upgrade.
He's been looking at some of White's top detectors - Spectra V3 - GMT - MXT - XLT - etc. and I'm not really familiar with any of White's newer detectors.

What detector would you experienced White's user's recommend for someone that is ...

New to the hobby ( few months experience).
Looking for a high quality detector he can grow into.
Will mainly be hunting on 1800's era foundations (usually loaded with trash) and park type coin hunting.
He's not really interested in Relic or Beach hunting.

Thanks in advance for your opinions !

MXT New--test drive one

Used---DFX

Jerry

E-TRAC-OHIO said:
Will mainly be hunting on 1800's era foundations (usually loaded with trash) and park type coin hunting.

Normally I'm not sure the V is a good choice for a beginner but if by "loaded with trash" you mean in such close proximity that you must hear coins between it, the V excels in this arena. Whatever you recommend to him, it should be fast.

It depends on the time he is willing to spend learning and what he wants to spend. I also have an MXT and it is a great detector. You can swing it slow and it has fast recovery. You will not outgrow the MXT. I love the V3 but he can't go wrong with an MXT either. I've paid for it with jewelry alone. Rob

He really can't go wrong with the MXT. After gaining experience and the hobby is for him, he might want to invest in the latest high tech machine available.

I agree Yazoo, but this guy has only a few months experience. I don't recommend the DFX to newbies, I would rather see him get the XLT it he wanted a programable detector.

Have to second Larry on the XLT for a progaming machine. The XLT is as stable as the day is long and I enjoyed mine when I still had it. (Back light,multiple programs are big plus's.) MXT would be my choice for ease of initial use though....and it does love gold.

I still have my XLT and it is a great choice.I think it all boils down to how much info he can get from all the literature that is out on the DFX and how high end of machine he wants.The XLT is very turn on and go .The DFX if you have very good comprehension's skills and want to learn it. But you fellers are right on if he is a newbie.H.H. Yazoo

Thanks a lot for everyone's replies to my questions about the White's Detectors !

HH --- Mark

n/t

Hi -

I'm a beginner who started with an MXT then ended up with a V3 as a second detector to share with my partner. I had a minor problem with mine from the factory ((whites took great care of me on that)), but I know that when I get it back I will understand it and grow into it because I'm a tech geek.

The detecting experience is just way more pleasant for me with the V3...I will never go back. Its especially when its dark and you have a backlit screen.

What I like about the V3 vs the MXT is really the information coming, and having a detector that I can really fine tune to run quieter. Even the fact that teh V3 can adjust for EMI and salty sand aside, it is a quieter machine. The MXT chatters as part of the way it gives you information, and in super-trash, it can get exhausting for me. I can go for hours with the V3 in the same circumstances and because just more pleasant to use. I'm not relic hunting so I don't want to hear the iron. At all. Someone who benefits from hearing non-coin/goldish alloys might feel differently.

So if your friend is a tech geek with some disposable income that likes his peace and quiet, consider the V3.

Tater.